Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who wants Colby Rasmus?

Who wants Colby Rasmus?

Not known away from St. Louis, Rasmus is in a career funk. Hitting wise, fielding wise and attitude wise. He is losing his CF job to the hustling, hitting Jon Jay. With the present need for starting pitching the Cards may VERY well move him. SOON. I wonder where he will go?

I know that he is highly regarded in some circles, and would surely play better for ANY other team whose manager is not TLR.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BAKER12

Re: Who wants Colby Rasmus?

Evidently the Royals do, reportedly offered Soria and Melky Cabrera for him a "prospect"

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Not interested.

I'd take him, since LF is one of our (minor) needs, but he's low priority for me. He'll probably be too expensive for what he is, and I don't much fancy sending the Cards one of our starters.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    Evidently the Royals do, reportedly offered Soria and Melky Cabrera for him a "prospect"
    Really? A link?

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Really? A link?
    They were talking it up on the Royals post game show the other day. Dayton Moore said they are not trading Soria, so who knows. Personally as a Royals follower I would not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    They were talking it up on the Royals post game show the other day. Dayton Moore said they are not trading Soria, so who knows. Personally as a Royals follower I would not do it.
    I wouldn't do it unless the prospect was incredibly good. Soria is a great reliever, but the Cards do not need right handed relievers and he starts to get expensive next year. They are chock full of cheap guys who can fill those roles just fine. Despite Melky's year thus far, he is not a starter on a good team. The Cards don't need a centerfielder back as they feel Jay can fill that role, as wrong as I feel that is.

BAKER12

I don't see how it benefits either team a great deal, Cabrera is having a really good year, Soria not as good as usual. Royals have a young pen, Soria is an anchor. Rasmus has talent, but is kind of like Stubbs, stuck in neutral.

Rasmus' hitting funk is not helping his trade value. Here in St. louis fan base is mixed on him, with people thinking hes 'lazy' has 'mental problems' and because of cold attitude between him and Larussa. His streaky hitting is not winning over fans either.

The problem is that everyone agrees he has tons of potential, were just tired of waiting 4 seasons now for him to 'break-out' and its being tossed around that he just needs a fresh start somewhere. The cardinals don't want to give up a young, cheap player with tons of potential, only to have it blow up in our face when he goes somewhere else and becomes an all-star. We had that happen last time in center field when we traded Andy Van Slyke to the Pirates in the 80's and are not eager to do it again. Basicly its lose/lose, we dont want to trade him because we see his percieved value as too high, but teams that may want him, will be leary of giving up a top player of their own, for a .250 hitting question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lankford View Post
    Rasmus' hitting funk is not helping his trade value. Here in St. louis fan base is mixed on him, with people thinking hes 'lazy' has 'mental problems' and because of cold attitude between him and Larussa. His streaky hitting is not winning over fans either.

The problem is that everyone agrees he has tons of potential, were just tired of waiting 4 seasons now for him to 'break-out' and its being tossed around that he just needs a fresh start somewhere. The cardinals don't want to give up a young, cheap player with tons of potential, only to have it blow up in our face when he goes somewhere else and becomes an all-star. We had that happen last time in center field when we traded Andy Van Slyke to the Pirates in the 80's and are not eager to do it again. Basicly its lose/lose, we dont want to trade him because we see his percieved value as too high, but teams that may want him, will be leary of giving up a top player of their own, for a .250 hitting question mark.
    I'm not really sure how this is a lose/lose situation, unless of course you are guaranteeing that he will be a .725 OPS, subpar defensive CF for the duration of his career. The only way to lose here is to sell low on him, which I honestly feel will happen as once you are in LaRussa's doghouse you don't get out, and shortly after you are shipped out it seems as of late. Which is a shame because Colby has tons more value to this franchise than our crotchety old senile manager does.

I am a huge fan of Rasmus, hence the name, but am not completely against trading him. However dealing him for Edwin Jackson and/or Scott Thornton as has been rumored would be absolutely inexcusable.

Turn Off Ads?