Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to improve the team how would you do it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

If you had to improve the team how would you do it?

Let's say going off the rumors out there, what would you take that was available?

I really like that we're linked to both Ubaldo Jiminez and James Shields. Obviously in real life we'd only get one, but in my opinion, if we want to dominant, we should be seriously pursuing both of them. That's what Philly has done. The best teams need to have a lot of the best pitching.

I would probably do...

Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Yasmani Grandal
    For
    James Shields

For Ubaldo I would go

Travis Wood, Edinson Volquez, Dave Sappelt, Billy Hamilton

I'm not sure if more would be needed. I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to give up Mesoraco at all. It would be nice to have a little something left in the pipeline.

Then to help out the lineup, I would go for

Juan Duran, Josh Smith, Donnie Joseph
    For
    Carlos Beltran

I would also like to get a reliever, but a true upgrade, not any of the names we've been linked to. A true hammer like Heath Bell. If we could expand the Colorado deal to include Huston Street, I would give up Yorman Rodriguez.

But I think those are good deals that would put us directly into WS contention and would keep us there for several years, as the only one we would lose after this year is Beltran.

Re: If you had to improve the team how would you do it?

sit pat at the deadline is probably the best option. the team is good enough as is to win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    sit pat at the deadline is probably the best option. the team is good enough as is to win the division.
    Where did that come from? The team is 4 games behind the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    "The team" you refer to is the Reds? Cincinnati?? This year???
    Or are you just being sarcastic & I didn't catch on?

fire the manager

I'd go hard after primarily Hunter Pence, and James Shields if that were at all possible.

I would trade Johnny Gomes for whatever Atlanta wants to give. I would trade Yonder Alonso, Ryan Hanigan, Travis Wood and Daniel Corcino to Tampa Bay for James Shields. Then I would promote Devin Mesoraco.

In a vacuum, I would go for Hunter Pence.

But ultimately, we don't live in a vacuum and the price IMO will be way too high for Pence...and Shields/Jiminez gives us the best value in a trade.

I wouldn't trade anybody.

I would try and trade Gomes and Lewis. If I couldn't, I would release them both.

I would then call up Dave Sappelt & Yonder Alonzo to fill the void.

I would then release Edgar Renteria, bring Yanish up to be what he is...a backup SS.

As much as I like Cairo, come on...he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to be a coach. If he insist in wanting to play, I would arrange a trade, or give him his release. In his place, I would call up Todd Frazier.

As much as I like Scott Rolen, come on..he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to remain for the rest of the year and then ask him to retire.

That's for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    I wouldn't trade anybody. i disagree with this

I would try and trade Gomes and Lewis. If I couldn't, I would release them both. i agree

I would then call up Dave Sappelt & Yonder Alonzo to fill the void. sure for dave s trade alonzo

I would then release Edgar Renteria, bring Yanish up to be what he is...a backup SS. agree

As much as I like Cairo, come on...he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to be a coach. If he insist in wanting to play, I would arrange a trade, or give him his release. In his place, I would call up Todd Frazier.
    disagree wtf? obv hes not the future but whoever said he was? why bring up ppl at there young age 2 just sit.

As much as I like Scott Rolen, come on..he's not part of the future here. I would ask him to remain for the rest of the year and then ask him to retire.

not gonna happen
    That's for starters.

I heard Sappelt has really came back down to Earth recently, I don't follow our minor leagues much so not sure. Alonso is best suited as trade bait IMO.

I'd go for a bat behind Votto. Hunter Pence.

I do what it takes to get Shields from TB, Pence from Houston and Jiminez from the Rockies. I see the Reds parting with Devin M, Yonder, Fraizer, Wood, Leake, Homer, Stubbs and maybe Chapman, but I do it.

Trade Ramon, bring us Meso. to get ready for next year.

Bring up Alonso and while he'll play a horrible LF, at least get him AB's on the MLB level.

Trade CoCo and offer to pay his salary the rest of the year (you're already paying it, so it'll make his value much better). Put Ondrusek or Masset in closer role to see what they can do.

I go after Shields.We can't compete in the free agent market and we need a TOR starter.I don't sell the farm for rentals.You add now to compete in post season,which is highly unlikely for the Reds.We build for next year.I don't give up Mesoraco unless I sign Hernandez for next year,and I keep Volquez .Volquez has too much potential to give away.I hold him unless he becomes an important component of a deal.I would deal Mesoraco if he is the principal prospect involved and little else,that's the only scenario.Put out feelers for all the players I don't expect to use next year.
    May the Lord bless

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1. Trade Hernandez to the Giants for their top pitching prospect, Surkamp. Bring up Mesoraco and tell other teams he's not longer a prospect but our main catcher, so he's not available.
    2. Trade Alonso and Grandal for Shields.
    3. Trade Wood & Bailey, Francisco, Valaika to Rockies for Jimenez
    4. Trade Gomes to the Braves for PTBNL.
    5. Trade Stubbs, EV, and Chapman for Matt Kemp.

Rotation:
    Cueto
    Jimenez
    Shields
    Leake
    Arroyo

BO:
    LF Sappelt
    SS Cozart
    1B Votto
    CF Kemp
    RF Bruce