Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Going To Be Shields

It's Going To Be Shields

http://redlegnation.com/2011/07/21/t...james-shields/

It makes so much sense for both teams.

The 2 teams have already settled on Alonzo. The Rays are scouting Meseroco & Grandal and deciding which one they want.

Unless someone gets hurt, this deal is going to close next week.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's Going To Be Shields

are we hoping the choose grandal?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    are we hoping the choose grandal?
    I know I am

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I know I am
    how many yrs away is he?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    how many yrs away is he?
    I would think 2013 at best

I really hate to see Alonzo go. I have a feeling that he is going to explode into a bonafide offensive superstar.

But, you have to give up something to get something. The question is, how will fans feel in 4 years when Shields is closing in on the end part of his career, while Alonzo is hitting 30 Home Runs and putting up a .400 OBA?

Remember, 30 Homeruns actually means something again and hitting is now becoming harder to find than pitching.

That said, Meseroco is more prepared now, but Grandal is only a year behind and he is a switch hitter with power.

I hope the trade doesn't happen at all. Shields is Milt Pappas and we are going to have to give up 2 future AllStars to get a 15 game winner.

I hope Walt walks away, but he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    I really hate to see Alonzo go. I have a feeling that he is going to explode into a bonafide offensive superstar.

But, you have to give up something to get something. The question is, how will fans feel in 4 years when Shields is closing in on the end part of his career, while Alonzo is hitting 30 Home Runs and putting up a .400 OBA?

Remember, 30 Homeruns actually means something again and hitting is now becoming harder to find than pitching.

That said, Meseroco is more prepared now, but Grandal is only a year behind and he is a switch hitter with power.

I hope the trade doesn't happen at all. Shields is Milt Pappas and we are going to have to give up 2 future AllStars to get a 15 game winner.

The way I look at it is they get Shields who should be a top of the rotation type of pitcher during the Votto/Cueto/Chapman years, and the silver lining is it can't turn out worse than the Josh Hamilton for Edinson Volquez trade, lol.

I agree. Shields has been one of the top pitchers in the league this year. But this is a guy with a +5 ERA last year and +4 the year before. In my opinion he will be another overpriced veteran, that may end up being worse than what we got. There is a reason the Rays want to trade him NOW. We are paying for the price of someone when they are at the peak of their game. Meaning we are probably overpaying.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

For a medium market team,sadly you cant have your cake and eat it too.You got to give up your big time prospects to get solid talent in return.I wondered why the Reds drafted two catchers #1 in the first place.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

The question we should be asking is are the Reds a championship team with Shields in the rotation? I don't think so. I think we're a playoff team but not much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by partisan View Post
    The question we should be asking is are the Reds a championship team with Shields in the rotation? I don't think so. I think we're a playoff team but not much more than that.
    lol you got start somewhere. throw cueto and sheilds out there game 1 and 2 imo they should be able to do there part.

Ah yes, every top prospect is a future All-Star.

Signed,

Chris Gruler, Ryan Wagner, Brandon Larson, Gookie Dawkins, & Damian Jackson

I'm not saying that Alonso, Mesoraco and/or Grandal won't ever become stars, but if history is any indication at all...they're not likely to be. I think as a GM you always have to take a proven major league player for a prospect when you can. Yeah, you're probably going to let a prospect who is a future All-Star go once or twice if you're in the business long enough, but I'd say the chances of that are very slim.

Whether or not Shields holds that kind've value...that's up to Jocketty. What I do know is that he's posted double-digits wins in four straight seasons (about to be five) and he's still only 29. He has a reasonable contract and just may be entering the prime of his career.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

I'm not sold Walt would have to give up Alonso and Mes or Grandal. I'd bet Ryan Hanigan is an attractive option for TB. He's signed for the next 3 years I believe, at a very affordable price. I think a package of Alonso, Hanigan, Wood and Corcino get it done. Remeber, their still in the AL East/Wild Card race. Hanigan, Alonso and Wood all can help them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    I agree. Shields has been one of the top pitchers in the league this year. But this is a guy with a +5 ERA last year and +4 the year before. In my opinion he will be another overpriced veteran, that may end up being worse than what we got. There is a reason the Rays want to trade him NOW. We are paying for the price of someone when they are at the peak of their game. Meaning we are probably overpaying.
    the guy has had one less than spectacular year and has rebounded very nicely in the toughest division in baseball.

the one concern i would have is he does give up a lot of HRs but aces dont grow on trees and the reds will not be able to sign one via FA so they have to take some risks in acquiring one if they cant develop enough in their system.

I'd do it.

ERAs pretty overrated, so i wouldnt get too hyped about his era this year or overly worried about what it was last year.

shields xFIP
    2011 2.91
    2010 3.55
    2009 3.85
    2008 3.87
    2007 3.65

HIS FIP #s are solid as well.

K/9 innings career of 7.57

BB/9 innings career of 2.03

200+ innings every year from 07 on (2011 already at 148.2)

His #s are pretty legit, his contract is manageable, and the length of the contract is good.

I think hes been relatively injury free as well.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Turn Off Ads?