Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,512

  2. #2
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,467

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    That Chargers game really was something last year. Would have liked to have seen if it was a fluke or something to build on with the young receivers.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  3. #3
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,756

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Huge Bengals fan here... have bought two Carson Palmer jerseys in his time with the team. I do not know if I can accept him back. You signed a extension and now you like to make threats about quitting. You care more about yourself than the team. Screw you pretty boy.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  4. #4
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    If he sits out the season, then he is "manning up" IMO.

    GL

  5. #5
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,560

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Frankly I think he's manning up by standing up to Mike Brown.

  6. #6
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    If he sits out the season, then he is "manning up" IMO.

    GL
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Frankly I think he's manning up by standing up to Mike Brown.
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".

  7. #7
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    Exactly. If he gave back the pro-rated portion of the money he has not earned for sitting out, then maybe I'd be more willing to agree that he has manned up.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

  8. #8
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,139

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    I understand your point of view and can't really take a hard stance against it. On the other hand ...

    A NFL "contract" isn't worth the paper is printed on. If Brown feels he has been shortchanged he can take that up with the NFL/court system.

    For the time being, Palmer has plainly stated he would rather retire than play. This gives Brown the opportunity to trade him if he'd like. Brown has to play hardball with Palmer because he runs that team so shabbily that the setting the precident that you can force your way out of Cincinnati would start a bumrush for the exit. If Palmer comes back to play for the Bengals, I'll think very little of him.

    If he is willing to sacrifice a truckload of cash and a year of his career for his beliefs, that is manning up IMO, on a path that few are willing to tread.

    GL

    /Bengals fan. *sigh*

  9. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,575

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    I am pretty sure that in every contract there is a clause in there for retirement. Therefor he isn't "not honoring" the deal. It isn't like he gets paid for all of those years he doesn't play if he retires.

  10. #10
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am pretty sure that in every contract there is a clause in there for retirement. Therefor he isn't "not honoring" the deal. It isn't like he gets paid for all of those years he doesn't play if he retires.
    He's not going to get paid for those years, no. But it doesn't change the fact that he committed to X number of years, signed his name on the dotted line, and then decided he didn't want to live up to what he agreed to simply because he doesn't like his boss. That is not honoring a deal.

  11. #11
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,856

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    He's not going to get paid for those years, no. But it doesn't change the fact that he committed to X number of years, signed his name on the dotted line, and then decided he didn't want to live up to what he agreed to simply because he doesn't like his boss. That is not honoring a deal.
    Do you find it equally dishonorable when the team cuts a player before the end of a contract because it doesn't think the player is good enough anymore or he's not worth the money to be paid to him in the future? (Which happens several hundred times a year across the NFL...)

    If you say yes, then fine. If no, and the argument is that the contract allows the team to do that, then, the contract also allows the player to retire.
    Not all who wander are lost

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,198

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    He isn't taking any money that wasn't already agreed to. He took exactly the amount negotiated for, and has performed exactly as much as he promised to perform in exchange for the money he was paid.

    That said, I agree this isn't much of a stand. It's more a realization that he didn't want to play for the Bengals anymore.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  13. #13
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,856

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Tough call for me. As a rule, I'm not a fan of the variants of "gimme or I'll hold my breath until I pass out." But playing in the NFL is a terrific grind, and if a guy doesn't need the money and doesn't believe in his organization and can't get out of his organization, then yeah, I can see where he could start to wonder why he's still playing. Players always have the right to walk away from the game, just as the game inevitably closes the door on players.

    The one thing I don't believe will happen is a trade. So either Palmer retires, which is his right, or he'll come back with an explanation that they cleared up some misunderstandings and he now believes in the future direction of the team, blah blah blah.
    Not all who wander are lost

  14. #14
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    807

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    Does anyone really want Carson back anyway? He's simply not very good.

  15. #15
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,719

    Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

    He should come back and force Brown to make a decision.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25