Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

That Chargers game really was something last year. Would have liked to have seen if it was a fluke or something to build on with the young receivers.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

For a Level Playing Field

Huge Bengals fan here... have bought two Carson Palmer jerseys in his time with the team. I do not know if I can accept him back. You signed a extension and now you like to make threats about quitting. You care more about yourself than the team. Screw you pretty boy.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

If he sits out the season, then he is "manning up" IMO.

GL

Frankly I think he's manning up by standing up to Mike Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    If he sits out the season, then he is "manning up" IMO.

GL
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Frankly I think he's manning up by standing up to Mike Brown.
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    Exactly. If he gave back the pro-rated portion of the money he has not earned for sitting out, then maybe I'd be more willing to agree that he has manned up.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Tough call for me. As a rule, I'm not a fan of the variants of "gimme or I'll hold my breath until I pass out." But playing in the NFL is a terrific grind, and if a guy doesn't need the money and doesn't believe in his organization and can't get out of his organization, then yeah, I can see where he could start to wonder why he's still playing. Players always have the right to walk away from the game, just as the game inevitably closes the door on players.

The one thing I don't believe will happen is a trade. So either Palmer retires, which is his right, or he'll come back with an explanation that they cleared up some misunderstandings and he now believes in the future direction of the team, blah blah blah.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Does anyone really want Carson back anyway? He's simply not very good.

He should come back and force Brown to make a decision.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I understand your point of view and can't really take a hard stance against it. On the other hand ...

A NFL "contract" isn't worth the paper is printed on. If Brown feels he has been shortchanged he can take that up with the NFL/court system.

For the time being, Palmer has plainly stated he would rather retire than play. This gives Brown the opportunity to trade him if he'd like. Brown has to play hardball with Palmer because he runs that team so shabbily that the setting the precident that you can force your way out of Cincinnati would start a bumrush for the exit. If Palmer comes back to play for the Bengals, I'll think very little of him.

If he is willing to sacrifice a truckload of cash and a year of his career for his beliefs, that is manning up IMO, on a path that few are willing to tread.

GL

/Bengals fan. *sigh*

getting out of cincinnati will be good for him. The bengals organization is atrocious, i know if i was in the NFL i wouldn't want anything to do with the bengals or mike brown.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

I can't blame Palmer for making that decision. He's certainly not in the right on the manner, but I don't blame him one bit.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Palmer knew EXACTLY what franchise he was signing up to play for when he inked his name to the contract.

It's not like new ownership or a new coach came in and undercut what he thought he was getting himself into -- he signed a deal with Mike Brown to play football in Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis as his head coach. He knew everything about the situation. He could have waited and left in free agency, but he didn't.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Palmer knew EXACTLY what franchise he was signing up to play for when he inked his name to the contract.

It's not like new ownership or a new coach came in and undercut what he thought he was getting himself into -- he signed a deal with Mike Brown to play football in Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis as his head coach. He knew everything about the situation. He could have waited and left in free agency, but he didn't.
    Not a Bengal fan but I agree with this.

I do feel bad for Carson that he had to play with Owens and Johnson last year.That side show had to be huge distraction to the team not to mention those guys probably ran their mouths and got in Carson's head.I do put some of the blame on him though.To be a successful QB in the NFL you need to be the one running your mouth, getting in the other guys head and if your a great QB your the one that defines what your team and organization is.If those guys said one thing to me and they wouldn't see another ball thrown their way the rest of the game.If the coach or owner had a problem with that then they could trade me but that's the way it would be.A great QB is the most powerful position in all of sports but there's not really too many good excuses when you fail.

Turn Off Ads?