Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

Re: Should Carson Palmer "man up?"-

The retirement may very well be a blessing in disguise.

Forget Carson. It's Dalton time.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

I could see Mike Brown working out a deal with Palmer to where he comes back this season to groom Dalton and is then dealt the following season like Boomer. If he decides to retire thats 11-12 million off the books while Dalton plays on the cheap for 2-3 yrs.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    The retirement may very well be a blessing in disguise.

Forget Carson. It's Dalton time.
    Absolutely. This definitely helps their cause in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

It is just my opinion, but I get tired of hearing Carson's ultimatum trumpeted as some great stand against Mike Brown. In no way does what Carson is doing change anything with the way Mike Brown does business. Way to stick it to the man, retire at a young age with enough money in the bank to live very comfortably and luxuriously.

Honestly, I don't begrudge Carson for retiring. He has sacrificed a lot in terms of time and health to earn the money he has made so far. He is turning money down to retire, but in no way do I think he should be lauded for the amount he is turning down. He will make plenty in other ventures or if he were to return in the future. He would not be in a position to give an ultimatum if he was not already financially set. He isn't a hero, he is just a player that feels more comfortable walking away than playing in Cincinnati and continuing to fight for change IMO. He knew that retirement would likely be his only option when he let Mike Brown know about his stance. In no way does a person walking away from a tough situation equate to them making a stand IMO.

He is just a person who thinks he is doing what is best for him and his family. I can respect that, but it certainly isn't being done for the good of the Bengals or the fans.
    Last edited by SeeinRed; 07-24-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    It is just my opinion, but I get tired of hearing Carson's ultimatum trumpeted as some great stand against Mike Brown. In no way does what Carson is doing change anything with the way Mike Brown does business. Way to stick it to the man, retire at a young age with enough money in the bank to live very comfortably and luxuriously.

Honestly, I don't begrudge Carson for retiring. He has sacrificed a lot in terms of time and health to earn the money he has made so far. He is turning money down to retire, but in no way do I think he should be lauded for the amount he is turning down. He will make plenty in other ventures or if he were to return in the future. He would not be in a position to give an ultimatum if he was not already financially set. He isn't a hero, he is just a player that feels more comfortable walking away than playing in Cincinnati and continuing to fight for change IMO. He knew that retirement would likely be his only option when he let Mike Brown know about his stance. In no way does a person walking away from a tough situation equate to them making a stand IMO.

He is just a person who thinks he is doing what is best for him and his family. I can respect that, but it certainly isn't being done for the good of the Bengals or the fans.
    Carson Palmer is a jackass. If I thought that there was even a small chance that his ultimatum would effect real and true change within the Bengals organization, I would be all for it, even though I disagree vehemently with what he's doing. The guy was flat out awful last year. He's got the leadership qualities of a dead snail and the charisma of cardboard paper. How's he going to make money if he retires? No company would hire him to be a pitch man unless they were bound and determined to lose money.

I WANT him to retire and waste away. He's awful. We're not winning anything this year with or without him. Let's see what Dalton can do. If he doesn't look like the answer, we draft another QB. But I really think Dalton is going to be a good one.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post

It cuts both ways with me. On one hand if any NFL player wants to retire early I admire them. Football is a debilitating sport that effects you physically as you go on in life. If Carson were to retire 5 years early and save his body another few years of pounding then I think that is one heck of an idea. Apparently he has enough money stashed away to live a very comfortable life without working another day. If that is his sole agenda then kudos to him.

However I don't really care for the ultimatum. He knew exactly what he was getting into when he signed his multi million dollar deal. He know the organization he was playing for and knew what kind of owner Brown was. I don't feel sorry for him one bit that he has a big contract and Mike Brown doesn't want to move him.

And lets be honest Carson's game has gone down hill ever since his knee injury in the playoffs over 6 years ago. He hasn't had the same pocket presence, he doesn't have the same zip on the ball, and has had a case of happy feet in the pocket. Its unfortunate because over the past few drafts the Bengals have really tried to help Carson and the offense. Smith, Gresham, Shippley, and Green all have been drafted in hopes of improving the offense. Yea you can knock the Smith pick but it was meant to help improve the offense.

His biggest issue is his leadership. He has never really controlled the huddle and it has shown big time. He let guys like Chad, TJ, TO run the huddle and Carson has taken a back seat to them. More recently you have seen him shrug his shoulders and walk back to the sidelines with his head down instead of demanding more from his WR's. He just never had that "it" quality to take him to the next level. Early in his career I thought he was destined for greatness but as he grew it became evident he was destined for mediocrity.

FWIW I wish the Bengals would trade him for a high draft pick but don't have much of a problem with Brown sticking to his guns on this one.

Carson Palmer has had a much better career for the Bengals than Mike Brown. Nuff said.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Carson Palmer is a jackass. If I thought that there was even a small chance that his ultimatum would effect real and true change within the Bengals organization, I would be all for it, even though I disagree vehemently with what he's doing. The guy was flat out awful last year. He's got the leadership qualities of a dead snail and the charisma of cardboard paper. How's he going to make money if he retires? No company would hire him to be a pitch man unless they were bound and determined to lose money.

I WANT him to retire and waste away. He's awful. We're not winning anything this year with or without him. Let's see what Dalton can do. If he doesn't look like the answer, we draft another QB. But I really think Dalton is going to be a good one.
    Why would he need to make money?
    From the sound of it he doesn't blow his money like other players do.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Why would he need to make money?
    From the sound of it he doesn't blow his money like other players do.
    30 million banked if I heard right a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    I am pretty sure that in every contract there is a clause in there for retirement. Therefor he isn't "not honoring" the deal. It isn't like he gets paid for all of those years he doesn't play if he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Palmer knew EXACTLY what franchise he was signing up to play for when he inked his name to the contract.

It's not like new ownership or a new coach came in and undercut what he thought he was getting himself into -- he signed a deal with Mike Brown to play football in Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis as his head coach. He knew everything about the situation. He could have waited and left in free agency, but he didn't.
    Of course maybe there were things said to him that would be coming, that simply never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    30 million banked if I heard right a few months back.
    I have heard it is a lot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am pretty sure that in every contract there is a clause in there for retirement. Therefor he isn't "not honoring" the deal. It isn't like he gets paid for all of those years he doesn't play if he retires.
    He's not going to get paid for those years, no. But it doesn't change the fact that he committed to X number of years, signed his name on the dotted line, and then decided he didn't want to live up to what he agreed to simply because he doesn't like his boss. That is not honoring a deal.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

He's not going to get paid for those years, no. But it doesn't change the fact that he committed to X number of years, signed his name on the dotted line, and then decided he didn't want to live up to what he agreed to simply because he doesn't like his boss. That is not honoring a deal.
    Do you find it equally dishonorable when the team cuts a player before the end of a contract because it doesn't think the player is good enough anymore or he's not worth the money to be paid to him in the future? (Which happens several hundred times a year across the NFL...)

If you say yes, then fine. If no, and the argument is that the contract allows the team to do that, then, the contract also allows the player to retire.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Signing a contract, taking home millions of dollars and then deciding you don't want to honor the deal you made because you don't like your boss is the exact opposite of "manning up".
    He isn't taking any money that wasn't already agreed to. He took exactly the amount negotiated for, and has performed exactly as much as he promised to perform in exchange for the money he was paid.

That said, I agree this isn't much of a stand. It's more a realization that he didn't want to play for the Bengals anymore.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?