Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 7/23

Birthdays- 7/23

Yesterday was a little slow, but some good stuff today:

Reds:

Pat Pacillo (48)- First round pick out of Seton Hall, I think, who never got any traction in the bigs. Was traded, with Tracy Jones, to Montreal, bringing Jeff Reed, Randy St.Claire & Herm Winningham to Cincy.

Ival Goodman- OF on the championship teams of '39 and '40. Led the league in triples his first two years. When I was a kid, I remember seeing a picture of him in uniform in the newspaper, endorsing some product. It made me want to find out who he was and led indirectly to my interest in baseball history.

Jimmie Wilson- The hero of the '40 series; a story that I'm sure all of you know. But some of you may not know that Jimmie had taken a cab to the park the last day of the Series, and by the time he was done granting interviews and soaking his tired old body, there were no more cabs available outside Crosley Field. So the MVP of the 1940 World Series rode home from the decisive game on a city bus with the common folk.

He also played a major role on convincing Bucky Walters to become a pitcher.

Others of note:

Nomar Garciaparra (38)- I'm glad he played most of his career with the Red Sox; his name is SO much fun to say with a Boston accent.

Hank Allen (71)- Richie's older, less talented, but a tad bit less contentious brother.

Don Drysdale- The debate over how great he was still rages in sabermetric circles.

Pee Wee Reese- Famous for being not only a great player but a class act all the way.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 7/23

I saw a minor league game that Pacillo started against Greg Maddox around 1985. At the time I argued that Pacillo was a better prospect.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Pat Pacillo played on the 84' Olympic team.

Don Drysdale's wife Ann Meyer was the first woman to be invited to an NBA training camp. She was invited by the Pacers back in the early 80's.

I used to collect autographs as a kid. I had a book that had all the players home addreses I would send autograph requests to. It was hit and miss if a player would send back or not but Pee Wee Reeses sent me back a nice 8x10 autographed picture. Not common at all to get a player to do that for a fan.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 07-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I used to collect autographs as a kid. I had a book that had all the players home addreses I would send autograph requests to. It was hit and miss if a player would send back or not but Pee Wee Reeses sent me back a nice 8x10 autographed picture. Not common at all to get a player to do that for a fan.
    Speaking of autographs, when I was in high school a friend of mine used to try to get as many of his baseball card collection autographed as he could. As you mentioned, he would send the card(s) directly to the player's home address, along with a SASE, and had a huge percentage respond by returning the cards.

However, I saw him 40 years later and he said that even though he still had the cards they actually were worth less than if they had no autographs. Why? He was told that there was no way to be sure that the autograph was genuine and so the writing on the card lowered its value.
    Last edited by Bob Borkowski; 07-23-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Nomar is of course, married to Mia Hamm, who was the face of US Women's soccer for many years. That's well-known.

What isn't well known is that Mia's sister Carolyn was married to a Stanford Financial advisor. The Garciaparra-Hamms have not acknowledged their financial losses from the collapse of the Stanford group, but they are thought to be substantial.
    Last edited by oneupper; 07-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?