Yesterday was a little slow, but some good stuff today:

Reds:

Pat Pacillo (48)- First round pick out of Seton Hall, I think, who never got any traction in the bigs. Was traded, with Tracy Jones, to Montreal, bringing Jeff Reed, Randy St.Claire & Herm Winningham to Cincy.

Ival Goodman- OF on the championship teams of '39 and '40. Led the league in triples his first two years. When I was a kid, I remember seeing a picture of him in uniform in the newspaper, endorsing some product. It made me want to find out who he was and led indirectly to my interest in baseball history.

Jimmie Wilson- The hero of the '40 series; a story that I'm sure all of you know. But some of you may not know that Jimmie had taken a cab to the park the last day of the Series, and by the time he was done granting interviews and soaking his tired old body, there were no more cabs available outside Crosley Field. So the MVP of the 1940 World Series rode home from the decisive game on a city bus with the common folk.

He also played a major role on convincing Bucky Walters to become a pitcher.

Others of note:

Nomar Garciaparra (38)- I'm glad he played most of his career with the Red Sox; his name is SO much fun to say with a Boston accent.

Hank Allen (71)- Richie's older, less talented, but a tad bit less contentious brother.

Don Drysdale- The debate over how great he was still rages in sabermetric circles.

Pee Wee Reese- Famous for being not only a great player but a class act all the way.