Thread: Singer Amy Winehouse found dead in London home, Sky News reports

Re: Singer Amy Winehouse found dead in London home, Sky News reports

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Here is an extremely moving piece about Amy written by Russell Brand:
    Thanks for posting that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Assuming you are being serious, but if you are not I apologize in advance.

Yes, all these people had drugs in common.
    Ya I ment it sarcastically. I could probably have done a better job of conveying that now that I reread my post.
    During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970

I'm not sure I'd classify Amy Winehouse as a "pop singer."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

La Dolce Vita

russell brand may be a bit superfluous in his description of her talent, but her voice certainly had, ala ella and billie, "a sit up and take notice, who the beep is that, i want to hear more" quality about it.

whole thing is sad, especially for her folks.
    teach tolerance.

Maybe she SHOULDA gone to rehab!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I'm not an insensitive person. I've been through enough to not be an insensitive person. I DJ at an alternative rock station and when i read about this, my first thought was if the year was 1850, Amy Winehouse would have been eaten by bears.

Some people are simply not equipped to deal with life. And they do dumb, drastic things. I know this first hand. But when you are offered help, repeatedly, and refuse to accept it, then it should shock no one when they remove themselves from the gene pool.

I got requests for her music that night, didn't play a single one. The last thing i want to do is build her up to be more than she was: a drug addicted singer whose 15 minutes were coming to a close. I really don't mean to be insensitive, but Richie Valens dying in a plane crash is sad. An OD is more pathetic than sad.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I respect that, TRF, but I still feel bad for her and her family. Not like I feel for the victims of the Norway shooting or those who starve to death in Africa or others who die without any choice at all. But it's still sad.

I consider myself blessed to not be an addict. Sure addicts have a choice, but it's not as easy as it seems to many.
    Stick to your guns.

I have a perspective on throwing your life away. Without accepting the help offered to me, someone might have been writing a moving obituary about me.

As I said... Some people are offered help, and they refuse to accept it. It is sad for her family. But what is really sad is there is some kid that views her as a role model. And that kid might do something stupid because of her.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I have a perspective on throwing your life away. Without accepting the help offered to me, someone might have been writing a moving obituary about me.

As I said... Some people are offered help, and they refuse to accept it. It is sad for her family. But what is really sad is there is some kid that views her as a role model. And that kid might do something stupid because of her.
    I don't think a dead celebrity is a good advertisement for a kid to get involved with alcohol or drugs. If a kid does get involved in alcohol or drugs I think something else would be a MUCH bigger factor.

No. I'm thinking. There is a kid or kids out there thinking their hero couldn't do it so how can I? My sister od'd after Randy Rhodes died.

Too many times the media builds up these broken people and every time we read moving testimonials of how talented they were.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I knew a couple people who thought about doing what Kurt Cobain did on an anniversary of of his death.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I knew a couple people who thought about doing what Kurt Cobain did on an anniversary of of his death.
    Tried to get Courtney Love to shoot them and make it look like a suicide?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Apparently the family believes the cause of death was alcohol withdrawal. The idea being that she tried to give up alcohol completely, her body couldn't take the adjustment, then she had a seizure which killed her.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/07/28/a...ol-withdrawal/

Toxicology results probably won't be for another month.

Incredible article by Russell Brand.

It's a disease. You don't get mad at someone who has a broken leg and can't run a hundred yard dash.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Apparently the family believes the cause of death was alcohol withdrawal. The idea being that she tried to give up alcohol completely, her body couldn't take the adjustment, then she had a seizure which killed her.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/07/28/a...ol-withdrawal/

Toxicology results probably won't be for another month.
    Interesting. I had read that she had been on an alcohol consumption binge the two weeks prior to her death.

Turn Off Ads?