Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer Amy Winehouse found dead in London home, Sky News reports

Re: Singer Amy Winehouse found dead in London home, Sky News reports

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Incredible article by Russell Brand.

It's a disease. You don't get mad at someone who has a broken leg and can't run a hundred yard dash.
    The difference is, it is only a disease if you ever start choosing to do it. A broken leg isn't anything like that. You don't choose to break your leg, it happens. You choose to start drinking alcohol. You choose to start doing drugs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I had my gall bladder removed. I didn't then have it put back inside so i could get it removed repeatedly.

Yes some people are predisposed to the effects of alcohol becoming habitual. still gotta actually drink it though.

Insensitivity aside, the gene pool is a little clearer. If anyone thinks that makes me a bad person, then understand this, I have experience with this first hand.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The difference is, it is only a disease if you ever start choosing to do it. A broken leg isn't anything like that. You don't choose to break your leg, it happens. You choose to start drinking alcohol. You choose to start doing drugs.
    Being self righteous is a choice too.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Being self righteous is a choice too.
    I don't think that has anything to do with the discussion at all. Sure, I don't drink or do drugs and I never have. Not sure what that has to do with comparing being mad at a runner for breaking their leg and not running the 100 meters to someone choosing to start doing something of addiction (be it alcohol or drugs).

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I have a perspective on throwing your life away. Without accepting the help offered to me, someone might have been writing a moving obituary about me.

As I said... Some people are offered help, and they refuse to accept it. It is sad for her family. But what is really sad is there is some kid that views her as a role model. And that kid might do something stupid because of her.
    Yeah, I don't know. It's hard to criticize the supposed "role model" for their own personal weakness without applying that same criticism to those that would emulate them. I guess my point is, if you blame Amy Winehouse for being a weak person and poor role model, if you apply the same standard to those "looking up" to her and emulating her, well don't they deserve all of the blame for their own weakness and poor decisions?

Everyone is dealt a different hand. There are moves you can make with yours that might not be possible for another player. As none of us knew her personally, other than as a celebrity or a concept, if anyone is angry or frustrated with Amy Winehouse they are most likely projecting their own personal feelings towards their own situation onto a safe, external situation. Instead of doing that, just focus on your own situation and making it better and more positive.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Yes it is a choice originally. I have some close friends and family who are in the program, and their take on addiction is slightly different: Alcohol/drugs is more of a self-treatment for the underlying problems in the individual. Some feel they need it to escape stress or reality. I'm not saying this is 100% true, but it's definitely an interesting and different perspective.

You could just as easily state that a kid who falls from a tree and breaks his leg CHOSE to climb a tree, but it does little to solve anything.

Either way I feel terribly bad for this young woman and her family. Whether she was using or not, addiction is a scary and lonely place for anyone to be.

I only can hope it was quick.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Yes it is a choice originally. I have some close friends and family who are in the program, and their take on addiction is slightly different: Alcohol/drugs is more of a self-treatment for the underlying problems in the individual. Some feel they need it to escape stress or reality. I'm not saying this is 100% true, but it's definitely an interesting and different perspective.

You could just as easily state that a kid who falls from a tree and breaks his leg CHOSE to climb a tree, but it does little to solve anything.

Either way I feel terribly bad for this young woman and her family. Whether she was using or not, addiction is a scary and lonely place for anyone to be.

I only can hope it was quick.
    Except that the kid choosing to climb the tree hasn't been told since he was in kindergarten that he would break his leg if he climbed the tree. He has been told about the side effects to drugs and alcohol since then.

I feel bad for them too. I have lost an uncle to drugs. I have several others in my life who have been serious drug addicts. I know how it is. But to compare drug/alcohol abuse to a broken leg.... well I can't ever get behind that idea.

I don't think that has anything to do with the discussion at all. Sure, I don't drink or do drugs and I never have. Not sure what that has to do with comparing being mad at a runner for breaking their leg and not running the 100 meters to someone choosing to start doing something of addiction (be it alcohol or drugs).
    There you go. If you never "try it" then you never get the disease now do you? I'll never know if I'm a heroin or crack addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There you go. If you never "try it" then you never get the disease now do you? I'll never know if I'm a heroin or crack addict
    It's not a chicken/egg thing. Drug addiction, be it heroin, cocaine or even nicotine is caused by the chemicals replacing receptors in the brain, tricking your brain into thinking it needs those chemicals to survive. Addiction is not predetermined, it is a reaction to using. Everyone in the world would become addicted to heroin if they used it enough for the receptors to be changed.

Chemical dependency ultimately is caused by choice. Sure, there can be underlying mental issues that lead someone to make that choice, but the two are not even remotely the same thing.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-01-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    It's not a chicken/egg thing. Drug addiction, be it heroin, cocaine or even nicotine is caused by the chemicals replacing receptors in the brain, tricking your brain into thinking it needs those chemicals to survive. Addiction is not predetermined, it is a reaction to using. Everyone in the world would become addicted to heroin if they used it enough for the receptors to be changed.

Chemical dependency ultimately is caused by choice.
    Well put. Makes sense to me.

This stuff can be taken to ridiculous extremes. Does Pete Rose have a disease of gambling addiction?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Except that the kid choosing to climb the tree hasn't been told since he was in kindergarten that he would break his leg if he climbed the tree. He has been told about the side effects to drugs and alcohol since then.
    Maybe I had an overprotective mother, but I definitely was made aware at an early age that doing things like climbing a tree could get me hurt. I still climbed trees anyway, though.

Meanwhile I was not told anything about drugs or alcohol until much later after kindergarten. I did them too. Guess I've always been a rebel lol.

I don't think addiction is as black and white as anyone in this thread is making it out to be. There have been countless studies done on the subject and there's evidence that supports a variety of beliefs and viewpoints on the subject of addiction. I don't believe there is one right answer. Everyone is different in regards to what their addiction is, the underlying choices and causes for said addiction, and the most effective way to treat it.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I don't think addiction is as black and white as anyone in this thread is making it out to be. There have been countless studies done on the subject and there's evidence that supports a variety of beliefs and viewpoints on the subject of addiction. I don't believe there is one right answer. Everyone is different in regards to what their addiction is, the underlying choices and causes for said addiction, and the most effective way to treat it.
    While this is all true, the point I made still remains.... if you never start drugs/alcohol, you will never become addicted to them. It is a choice that you make at some point in your life.

While this is all true, the point I made still remains.... if you never start drugs/alcohol, you will never become addicted to them. It is a choice that you make at some point in your life.
    Usually, but not always. For one year, I taught a 13 year old boy who was in foster care that was a heroin addict. His parents were heroin addicts, and when he was a baby, they would get high in their apartment. To keep him and his brother quiet, they would inject them with heroin so that they wouldn't cry. When the police found them, he was literally doped up on heroin in a shoebox under his parent's bed. That wasn't a choice that he ever made. I know that's the exception rather than the rule, but stories like his do exist. Perhaps even sadder, due to the drugs' effect on his brain, he was also a convicted sex offender at age 11.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?