Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty - Deadline trade won't help underachieving Reds

Paul Daugherty - Deadline trade won't help underachieving Reds

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

Seems I'm not alone in my sentiments.

This yr is lost. Cut the dead weight and get the kids up here so we can break camp next year with guys that know how to get to the stadium.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Paul Daugherty - Deadline trade won't help underachieving Reds

While I'd like to have some of those players, I'm moving more and more toward not giving up the farm system for them.

On the other hand, if the Reds are going to stick with Votto, Phillips, Bruce, Stubbs, and Cozart.........any guy in triple A that plays those positions is expendable. Future third baseman? Yes, keep one or two (Frazier, Francisco). Future left fielder like Sappelt? Yes, keep them. Future catcher (Mesoraco)? Keep him too. But Alonso, Valaika, and one or two of the young starting pitchers are expendable if the Reds trade for an ace.

Triple A is strong and has fed our major league roster with Bailey, Cueto, Votto, Stubbs, Bruce, Cozart, Heisey, Hanigan, Leake (draft), Wood, Ondrusek, Chapman (international draft), and some I can't think of right now. Double A doesn't have much except for maybe Neftali Soto. The next wave of good players is down at Dayton and below. And that's about the time these current players all start to get expensive and the roster needs to reload.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

While I agree with most that is said. I still would like to see the Reds acquire a real #1 pitcher. If that means striking now while teams are out of the race and before the beginning of the next year when teams are optimistic that this will be the year. Of course the Reds will have to get a pitcher under contract for more than one year....enter Jiminez or Shields.

BAKER12

2009 was not going well, Rolen was acquired, the Reds had a sizzling September and you know what happened last year.

dream on, this team has not won two games in a row for 45 days, Baker is challenged to remember the number of outs and the count

The Reds are still very much in the race. 3-4 games back with 60 games left is totally within reach. The Reds have a stretch of easy games starting Aug 1st. If they can run off a 7-8 game win streak at some point they will be within 2-3 games going into the last few weeks. I think the Reds and Cards will emerge over Milwaukee and the Pirates.

Fans who are blaming Dusty or Walt are looking in the wrong direction. I think it is so funny that all the SAME people on this board and the ORG who all WANTED JANISH to be the starter over Cabrera last year, and now these same posters are blaming Dusty because Janish sucked!!!!!! Meanwhile Cabrera is with the Indians and they are having a great season. Dusty gave Janish until the Allstar break to prove he could do it. To give him any less would have been unfair and set the precedent that young players have a short leash. How is the fact that Janish failed Dusty's fault?

The Reds have lost a ton of one run games and close games this season. They are leading the division in run differential but they have a losing record. That is either ----
    1. Bad Luck
    2. Lack of "clutch-ness" or ability to win close games or get the big hit when needed.

I STILL BELIEVE they will win the division or come in a close 2nd to St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    2009 was not going well, Rolen was acquired, the Reds had a sizzling September and you know what happened last year.
    An excellent point. Maybe a deadline deal won't win the division this year, but it might set the stage for a productive 2012.
    Remember, you're unique.....just like everybody else.

Call me crazy I guess, but the Reds can still get back in this thing....MILW, STL, and PiTT play eachother multiple times during this second half as well as Cincy having atleast 3 games with each of them....I say go out and land a front line starter who will be around more than 1 year and get a bat for the middle of the lineup...the division and more for the taking. There is no national league team that can't be shut down with good pitching.......

The Reds starting rotation is really coming around. With Cueto, Bailey, Leake and Willis all pitching well, and Arroyo hopefully getting fully recovered at some point, the Reds are looking very solid. They are totally in the race and only a real negative nancy would see it otherwise.

BAKER12

What is the deal with Wood?
    I honestly thought he would be the # 2 guy this year
    Confused by his downturn and equally surprised (thus far) from Willis
    Leake is getting better all the time and Cueto is elite
    Homer is a solid # 2 or 3
    Is Volquez a lost cause?
    Will never give up on this team or season, just perplexed by the way the staff I envisioned panned out

i have given up on the manager who cannot analyze situations, trends, numbers or proclivities, he has led the reds to 15 one game winning streaks since Jun 14th

I really don't think a team like Cincy can afford to throw in the towel being only 4-5 games back in July. I understand not wanting to sell the entire farm, but surely help is available for a lower cost than that. If the Reds want to take a risk on calling up their prospects, cool. If they want to risk trading them for help, cool. But the status quo isn't working. Push one of the buttons please.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I really don't think a team like Cincy can afford to throw in the towel being only 4-5 games back in July. I understand not wanting to sell the entire farm, but surely help is available for a lower cost than that. If the Reds want to take a risk on calling up their prospects, cool. If they want to risk trading them for help, cool. But the status quo isn't working. Push one of the buttons please.
    im sure there looking at trades but fact is no real trades have happened yet besides 1. im guessin around tuesday it will heat up big time.

Acquire James Shields. That is all.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

Just have a hard time taking Doc seriously since he wanted to trade Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto for Joe Blanton when he was with the A's. I get not trading for a rental, depending on the cost but trading for a James Shields or Jiminez makes a lot of sense depending who his part of the deal. I would like to see them hold onto Sappelt and Mesoraco. Other than that, I am ok with them dealing just about anyone else in the organization. You either play prospects or you trade them for what you need, who cares if our triple a team wins a bunch of games with guys who end up being 25 to 28 years old becasue we have no room for them. We have a bunch of guys who have little or no chance to play for the reds in the forseeable future, turn them into value for this team and give it a chance to win, and win big.

Turn Off Ads?