Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Conlin honered @ HOF: calls for Rose induction

Bill Conlin honered @ HOF: calls for Rose induction

Just saw Bill Conlin's acceptance speech for the Spink Award on MLB Network, very entertaining speech IMO.

Here's a link to Conlin's speech, on page 2 he winds up his speech calling for Bud Selig to lift the ban on Pete Rose to make him eligible for the Hall Of Fame.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...tml?page=1&c=y

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bill Conlin honered @ HOF: calls for Rose induction

His quote on Rose:

One last thing: please get Pete Rose off Main Street and into the Hall. Keep the ban for the compulsive gambler we met in the Dowd Report. But enshrine the guy who played with his hair on fire, the overachiever who lashed those 4,256 hits. Commissioner Selig, tear down that Ban!

I agree.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

At least let them vote on the matter. What are they afraid of?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Pete broke the rules. And not just any rules, but the rules that were put in place after the 1919 World Series to maintain the integrity, legitimacy & sanctity of the game.

Pete knew the rules. He walked by them every single day he went to work as a player & manager.

When the authorities called him on it, he stonewalled them, disagreed, and lived a life of lies & denial for a quarter century. There was zero remorse. Zero owning up to his transgressions. The blame was always somewhere else other than Peter Edward Rose.

If Pete wants into Cooperstown, he needs to buy a ticket just like the rest of us no matter how many times he sprinted to first on a walk or cranked out 200 hit / 100 run seasons.

Put him in, leave him out... whatever. I think an increasing number of us just don't care that much any more.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Pete broke the rules. And not just any rules, but the rules that were put in place after the 1919 World Series to maintain the integrity, legitimacy & sanctity of the game.

Pete knew the rules. He walked by them every single day he went to work as a player & manager.

When the authorities called him on it, he stonewalled them, disagreed, and lived a life of lies & denial for a quarter century. There was zero remorse. Zero owning up to his transgressions. The blame was always somewhere else other than Peter Edward Rose.

If Pete wants into Cooperstown, he needs to buy a ticket just like the rest of us no matter how many times he sprinted to first on a walk or cranked out 200 hit / 100 run seasons.
    Don't disagree with the facts. But why deny him a vote? Let the Hall voters decide.

And there are worse offenders of the gambling rule in the Hall of Fame. Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were caught throwing games for money. They were forced to retire early, but still got a chance to be voted on by the Hall.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

i guess Conlin gets your point....just like alot of us he's just calling for them to seperate the player from the manager

For sale $499

Pete Rose, the gift that keeps on giving.

Hagiographic presumptions aside, 15fan is dead on.

First Pete reference in awhile, it surely is HOF season. Joe P. has an article on some of the fresher issues facing the little museum in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i guess Conlin gets your point....just like alot of us he's just calling for them to seperate the player from the manager
    The player was under scrutiny for his relationships for 15 years, he was 1st contacted by the league security lead in the early 70's.

He didn't just wake up one day with a gambling habit.

Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were caught throwing games for money.
    Speaker was accused... beyond the accusation there was virtually no evidence against him. And not much against Cobb, other than that he was a nasty guy all around.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Put him in, leave him out... whatever. I think an increasing number of us just don't care that much any more.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That is all true. No doubt about it. However it really misses the point. Pete Rose is one of the most famous players ever. It is the Hall of Fame, right? Pete Rose was a great baseball player and a compulsive gambler. He was a flawed hero. People can relate to that. The HOF is missing a great opportunity to educate the public. They are distorting baseball history by ignoring a key part of it.

A baseball museum that leaves out a gambling scandal is like an American History museum that leaves out slavery. Unfortunately it happened, so it has to be there so people can understand it and learn from it. Burying their head in the sand and ignoring it just makes them look foolish.

"I know it was you, Pete (Fredo). You broke my heart. You broke my heart".

So he screwed up. Move on. Get over it. Letting him in the Hall isn't going to harm the integrity of the game anymore than has already been done.

Pretending all those hits aren't worthy is laughable. Too many high horses.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    That is all true. No doubt about it. However it really misses the point. Pete Rose is one of the most famous players ever. It is the Hall of Fame, right? Pete Rose was a great baseball player and a compulsive gambler. He was a flawed hero. People can relate to that. The HOF is missing a great opportunity to educate the public. They are distorting baseball history by ignoring a key part of it.

A baseball museum that leaves out a gambling scandal is like an American History museum that leaves out slavery. Unfortunately it happened, so it has to be there so people can understand it and learn from it. Burying their head in the sand and ignoring it just makes them look foolish.
    Well said.

Turn Off Ads?