Turn Off Ads?

Thread: interesting Question from Sun Deck

interesting Question from Sun Deck

brm7675 asked an interesting question in a Sun Deck thread

When July 30th rolls around and the Reds make no "serious" moves to improve the roster. Sure they deal Ramon for a couple AA "prospects" and maybe deal Gomes for a single A prospect and do nothing else except calling ups a couple of players from AAA in Sept. How will you view the GM and owner then? Did they do the right thing by NOT dealing away our talent, or are we again bound to be middle of the road type team with our hope on the youngsters making us better?
    I personally think with Kozart and Rolen going on the DL the team would be better to hold pat...not make a move at all.

Here's why.

Going into the season everyone was talking about how the Reds would win the division...I never thought so and I think last year was the mirage. The team is VERY GOOD and next year after another year 2012 is when I see this team really putting it all together and being a dominant force to be reckoned with.

The only move I would make if I were Walt is to get rid of Arroyo and bring in a power bat to put in the middle of the lineup.

I'd consider trading BPhillips because while he is a GREAT player and a fan favorite there is no way he is the heart and soul of this team..other players do not gravitate too him or follow him...I'd bring int he power bat, put Renteria at 2B next year and play Cozart every day at SS.

What are your thoughts?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: interesting Question from Sun Deck

Why does no one ever remember the ridiculous contract that Arroyo signed that if he gets traded someone owes him $18M? That guy is a Red for his entire contract because even when he was "good" Arroyo, no one would ever dream of paying him that much, much less now that he isn't any good (be it because things caught up with him or the mono or something else).

You lost me with the notion of putting Renteria at 2nd everyday next year.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    You lost me with the notion of putting Renteria at 2nd everyday next year.
    Hahaha...

He won't even play it this year.

No. You keep Phillips unless the Tigers come off Parker for him.

The lineup "while having the best Offense in the NL" has way to many question marks heading into next season.

Will Votto be traded?
    Can Rolen play 100 games?
    Is Cozart legit?
    Who is the LF of the future? Heisey? Alonso? Sappelt? Frazier?
    Can Stubbs make more constant contact and not regress further?
    Will Bruce become less streaky of a hitter?
    Will Mesoraco be the same hitter in the Majors he has the last 2 in the minors?

Honestly every spot is in flux in one regard or another.

I believe trading for Shields, Upton and Ubaldo is the way to go at the deadline.

Philly is proving that a mediocre hitting team can be fueled by incredible pitching all the way though.

Howard .798 OPS - .934 Career % prior to this year.

Utley .862 OPS - Less than half a season

Polanco .676 OPS - .346 SLG%

Rollins .751 OPS

Ibanez .695 OPS - .286 OBP

Victorino .872 OPS

Brown .734 OPS - .398 SLG%

Ruiz .742 OPS - .371 SLG%

Getting 2 TOR guys to go with the 2 TOR arms the Reds have in Cueto and Bailey/Leake gives the Reds a legitimate Top 5 Rotation in baseball.

Philly
    SF
    Boston
    ATL
    Reds

The 4 teams above them are going to the playoffs this year.

Add Chapman to the mix you have 5 legitimate 1's and 2's in the rotation. Providing health is a non factor, that rotation should win alot games between them provided that there is a closer worth a damn in the 9th.
    Last edited by nemesis; 07-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why does no one ever remember the ridiculous contract that Arroyo signed that if he gets traded someone owes him $18M? That guy is a Red for his entire contract because even when he was "good" Arroyo, no one would ever dream of paying him that much, much less now that he isn't any good (be it because things caught up with him or the mono or something else).
    I was all for picking up the option, but the extension just didn't make any sense and it looks even worse now.

Extension looks terrible now, I agree. I disagree with the notion that no team would pay Good Arroyo that much. 200 IP of say 3.80 to 4.00 ERA per year is worth something.

In projecting the wins and losses for the Reds this season I assumed Rolen would miss a fair amount of time this year. So far, I'm pretty much on target. This spot will have to get a look for 2012.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Extension looks terrible now, I agree. I disagree with the notion that no team would pay Good Arroyo that much. 200 IP of say 3.80 to 4.00 ERA per year is worth something.
    You really think that some team is going to pay $18M for 200 innings of 4.00 ERA baseball?

I think the Reds should lean to the side of caution when making a deal, depending on what they can get. The team may be hanging around .500, but the difference from years past is that there is legit talent on this team. Not a bunch of retreads like years past.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I don't think this is the Red's year, and so I don't want them to spend all their trade capital this season to get a rental player. I'm disappointed in how this season has gone so far, but I would be perfectly fine with the Red's standing pat and seeing what some of the youngsters can do.

The one caveat to that is if they can make a trade for an impact player that will be around for longer than the rest of this year. Then I'd be fine with trading some of the young talent the Red's have.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

You really think that some team is going to pay $18M for 200 innings of 4.00 ERA baseball?
    The extension was 2 yrs 23.5 Million. Sure someone would. I don't get how if someone trades for him they would pay 18 million for only 200 IP.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 07-25-2011 at 09:38 AM.

To me that whole clause just gives Arroyo a chance to be more selective about where he goes. In other words, I bet his agent could supply a list of teams for which he'd waive it.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?