Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sunday 7/24/11 Minor league Updates

Re: Sunday 7/24/11 Minor league Updates

Billings wins 6-3. Seems like Junior Arias is starting to hit a bit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Richburg has homered (9), but Bakersfield trails 3-2 after four. Blaze are looking for their ninth straight.

Ryan Wright has hit his first professional HR and the AZL Reds lead 2-1 in the second. Brandon Dailey was aboard with a leadoff single. Eliezer Beard pitching for the Reds.

-The Insider-

I'll tell you guys maņa--nahhh

Wright has added a triple. It's 4-4.

Wright should be tearing up the AZL. He needs to be moved up ASAP, IMO. It's not like the Billings' 2B are anything to write home about.

Speaking of Billings, it's really, really odd to see the Rookie League team much older than the low A team, but that's what's happening right now. Look at the starting eight for Dayton and you see six guys (Duran, Rodriguez, Torreyes, Barnhart, Bowe, and Hamilton) 20 or under. That doesn't include Vidal who's only 21 at the hot corner.

Really nice core there-- and underrated by the national pundits. (Much like Cozart's group at AAA has been.)

In fact, the Reds could field a pretty solid list of prospects who won't be able to order a Bud Light, but you may want to keep an eye on over the next five years or so:

B. Hamilton SS
    You know him already. Has proven he can play SS. Now he only needs the reps and consistency. Really coming on strong.
    R. Torreyes 2B
    All he does is hit. And field. And hit with power. As complete a player as there is in the low minors. And he's built like the hot girl's gay best friend.
    Y. Rodriguez RF
    Tools are there. Even in what many consider a down year (so far), has an OPS over 750
    J. Duran LF
    Showing signs of finding his power. Needs to keep watch the K's. Nice bounceback.
    J. Silva DH
    Why do I get visions of Moseby, Barfield, and Bell every time I see Silva?
    T. Burnhart C
    Love his D. Reminds me of Hanigan, but he has more offensive tools. Will be a major leaguer someday-- the only question is what he'll do when he gets there.
    J. Perez 1B
    Cheating here. He's played mostly at SS, but has played all over the IF in Arizona. Power is there, but it could be a desert mirage.
    M. Mendez 3B
    Neither Vidal nor Buckley are underage (both are 21). Henry Rodriguez and DiDi Gregorious are also just too old. So I went with the kid who's mashing in the low levels. Intriguing season, to be sure.
    T. Bowe CF
    One season, he's going to figure out his tools. When he does, he'll be a monster. If not, he'll be Denis Phipps. Scratch that.
    D. Corcino SP
    Or Eliezer Beard. Like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    It's really not that difficult...

Q-Quintin Berry.
    Jake- Jake Kahaluelio
    Cookie-David Cook
    Perez-Felix Perez
    Soup-Eric Campbell
    Castro-Jose Castro
    Mendez-Carlos Mendez
    Skelly-James Skelton
    Mac-Kyle McCulloch
    Shouldn't Carlos be "Fidel" and Mendez be "the Jackyl"?

-The Insider-

I didn't come up with them...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Wright should be tearing up the AZL. He needs to be moved up ASAP, IMO. It's not like the Billings' 2B are anything to write home about.

Speaking of Billings, it's really, really odd to see the Rookie League team much older than the low A team, but that's what's happening right now. Look at the starting eight for Dayton and you see six guys (Duran, Rodriguez, Torreyes, Barnhart, Bowe, and Hamilton) 20 or under. That doesn't include Vidal who's only 21 at the hot corner.

Really nice core there-- and underrated by the national pundits. (Much like Cozart's group at AAA has been.)

In fact, the Reds could field a pretty solid list of prospects who won't be able to order a Bud Light, but you may want to keep an eye on over the next five years or so:

B. Hamilton SS
    You know him already. Has proven he can play SS. Now he only needs the reps and consistency. Really coming on strong.
    R. Torreyes 2B
    All he does is hit. And field. And hit with power. As complete a player as there is in the low minors. And he's built like the hot girl's gay best friend.
    Y. Rodriguez RF
    Tools are there. Even in what many consider a down year (so far), has an OPS over 750
    J. Duran LF
    Showing signs of finding his power. Needs to keep watch the K's. Nice bounceback.
    J. Silva DH
    Why do I get visions of Moseby, Barfield, and Bell every time I see Silva?
    T. Burnhart C
    Love his D. Reminds me of Hanigan, but he has more offensive tools. Will be a major leaguer someday-- the only question is what he'll do when he gets there.
    J. Perez 1B
    Cheating here. He's played mostly at SS, but has played all over the IF in Arizona. Power is there, but it could be a desert mirage.
    M. Mendez 3B
    Neither Vidal nor Buckley are underage (both are 21). Henry Rodriguez and DiDi Gregorious are also just too old. So I went with the kid who's mashing in the low levels. Intriguing season, to be sure.
    T. Bowe CF
    One season, he's going to figure out his tools. When he does, he'll be a monster. If not, he'll be Denis Phipps. Scratch that.
    D. Corcino SP
    Or Eliezer Beard. Like them both.
    You don't really have to cheat at 1B. Carlos Sanchez is no slouch.

Arias would certainly be in the mix at 3B.

Brandon Dailey and Humberto Valor would be on the roster as infielders.

Waldrop in the OF.

Julio Morillo is OPSing .894 as an 18-year-old catcher in AZ. And his platoon mate, Wagner Gomez (a switch-hitter), is at .830.

Your mention of Theo Bowe got me thinking . . . didn't realize he was that young. He might be a significantly underrated guy by most of us.

You could definitely fill out a Top Ten list, mace, and it would be among the top two or three in baseball, IMO. Perhaps the best.

Cincinnati has shown an ability to move young prospects to high levels quickly. (H. Rodriguez being the latest in a line that includes top-end talents such as Bruce and Mesoraco and others like N. Soto and Sulburan.) The younger prospects are at the high levels, the more likely they become contributors early in their mlb careers. The Reds have also shown an abilitiy to pick older guys who move steadily until they too can contribute. (Cozart and Frazier say hi.)

Minor league development has been a blessing for at least five years.

I didn't realize this made Matt Maloney the all time wins leader for the Louisville franchise after this game. Pretty good stuff.

Turn Off Ads?