Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

I'm so worried tonight's walk-off will equate to bushels of hideous at bats and K's for Stubbs and an ongoing lousy OBP. Dusty's quote re-affirms his aversion to walks with a new flourish of stupidity:

From The Enquirer:
    “At that time of the game, you’re just looking to do anything you can,” Stubbs said. “When relievers come in, you’re not trying to work on pitch counts or anything like that.”

The Reds, who also beat Atlanta on Saturday, have won two consecutive games for the first time since a three-game sweep of the Dodgers (at Dodger Stadium) from June 13-15.

Francisco Cordero (4-3) was the winner in relief.

While Stubbs is the major league leader in strikeouts (130), he also has 13 homers and 25 steals.

“People are always saying to get deep in the count and take pitches, but why take pitches if it’s going to be a good pitch to hit?” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “Attack and be aggressive.”
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

Yeah how dare Stubbs hit a walk-off homerun.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

People criticize Stubbs nonstop for all his strikeouts, and now when he swings early in a count to make contact, he's going to get criticized for that, too? And if you think that's the dumbest Dusty Baker quote yet, I don't think you've been paying too much attention.

Stubbs swinging early in the count can only be a good thing. Him with 2 strikes is a nightmare.

My worry is that this walk-off will be somehow a justification in Stubbs' mind for his approach. Isn't this board always wary of "small sample size" in evaluating a player? I'd say the one at bat with a positive outcome tonight is a prime example of a small sample size. Stubbs defenders somehow feel vindicated. The home run does not justify the poor approach, unprofessional at bats, and meager results over the course of this season. I may not have the dumbest Dusty quote, but it's darn near!

I actually think they are fair quotes.

Why would a K hitter like Stubbs want to get behind 0-1 late in the game.
    Usually leads to an easy out for him.

Don't let pitches down the middle go for strikes. If it's a pitch he feels he can drive, go for it (tonight was a little odd since it appeared that he swung at a ball). Not an overall awful strategy as long as he is selective as to what he considers a good pitch to hit.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    My worry is that this walk-off will be somehow a justification in Stubbs' mind for his approach. Isn't this board always wary of "small sample size" in evaluating a player? I'd say the one at bat with a positive outcome tonight is a prime example of a small sample size. Stubbs defenders somehow feel vindicated. The home run does not justify the poor approach, unprofessional at bats, and meager results over the course of this season. I may not have the dumbest Dusty quote, but it's darn near!
    Just take a look at some of these OPS and K numbers for Stubbs in certain situations in the count.

After 0-1 .585, 91
    0-2: .031, 26 Ks
    After 0-2 .355, 51 K
    1-2: .618, 67 k
    After 1-2: .478, 77 K
    2-2: .380, 38 K
    After 2-2: .465, 58 K

Stubbs behind in the count or with 2 strikes is absolutely terrible. Now with that being said, I would say just about every hitter in baseball is better when they're hitting ahead in the count. That's pretty much the point of hitting.

Compare that to his 1.327 OPS when putting the first pitch in play. Even in an 0-1 count his OPS is 1.025.

It's not really as bad as it sounds. All Dusty and Drew are saying is if he gets a first pitch he can handle, to take a rip. He's awful behind in the count, so don't allow yourself to get behind.

“People are always saying to get deep in the count and take pitches, but why take pitches if it’s going to be a good pitch to hit?” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “Attack and be aggressive.”
    People have a problem with this remark? I don't. He's not taking about getting up there flailing away, but pitch recognition. Getting a good pitch to hit. That is why you carry a bat to the box with you.

I get just as upset at a batter who takes good pitches in the zone as I am with someone whose up there swinging away at anything. Now that doesn't mean never to take a good pitch. Depends on the count and if a pitcher is struggling with control, there are other variables to consider obviously.

But your objective when in that batter's box is to recognize that good pitch and go after it.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-25-2011 at 04:40 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have been saying that Drew Stubbs should be more aggressive at the plate for 4 years now. I still think he does. It isn't about swinging at bad pitches, but I think that he takes too many good pitches early on in an effort to either "work the count" or to "wait for a better pitch". For some guys, I am ok with that approach. But Stubbs has some of the worst contact rates in all of baseball, so he shouldn't look at hittable strikes. I don't have an issue with either of the quotes at hand as long as they aren't being translated to "swing at the first pitch no matter what", and I don't think either Dusty or Stubbs would ever go for such a policy.

Plate discipline isn't about taking pitches, getting walks or even working the count for its own sake. Those are simply some of the benefits of having plate discipline. Plate discipline is only doing the two simple things that have been the hitters objective for well over 100 years:

1. Don't swing at pitches that aren't good pitches to hit.
    2. Murder ones that are (no matter when in the count they come).

As Babe Ruth said (its in my sig) "Pick a good one and sock it."
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

my biggest complaint is the lack of bunt attempts by Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    my biggest complaint is the lack of bunt attempts by Stubbs
    You won't see any from now on. The good thing is, the Reds won't have to worry about cooling fans at the games; Stubbs whiffs will do it.

I wouldn't call the problem with Stubbs a lack of plate discipline -- I think its a lack of plate preparedness. In other words, when facing a pitcher, he isn't usually ready to swing as soon as he gets to the plate --even if the pitcher is a first strike pitcher.

In fact, I think this is the entire Reds team problem; they fail to adjust to whom they are batting against. You also see it when they are facing someone who is having a hard time finding home plate -- how many times do they have a rally going on walks when someone comes and swings at a bad first pitch only to pop it up. I call this plate preparedness, and this, I believe is the Reds problem most of the time.
    Where we gonna go?

Reliever came in and wanted to get ahead in the count. Huge part of the game for a pitcher. Stubbs was on him and what was impressive was he took him the other way. As far as Dusty's quote; I have no problem with it. In fact, I agree with him.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    You won't see any from now on. The good thing is, the Reds won't have to worry about cooling fans at the games; Stubbs whiffs will do it.
    It almost sounds like you want Stubbs to fail. I think he'll eventually be an all-star calibar player. All he needs to do is cut down on his K's. That can be accomplished by cutting down his swing with two strikes.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turn Off Ads?