Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

I wish Dusty would let Stubbs steal more bases. That guy can fly. Late in the game when Stubbs singled he shot out of the box like Captain America. My question was why not steal him to second instead of having Edgar sacrifice him with the out.

I honestly believe if he bunted once a game and had the green light he would steal 70 bases in a season easy.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

I don't understand why he doesn't bunt or at least show it more often. Even if he has zero intention, give them something to think about. I think Heisey does that more often than Drew.

So, what could Stubbs have done in that 9th inning AB yesterday and post-game so that he would have recieved 0 negative posts about him today. Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So, what could Stubbs have done in that 9th inning AB yesterday and post-game so that he would have recieved 0 negative posts about him today. Just asking.
    worked a 20 pitch walk? That would've probably made people happier

I agree with what Stubbs/Dusty said. You don't worry too much about trying to run up a reliever's pitch count. Especially against a team like Atlanta that has a deep pen. Why should Stubbs take pitches and try to tire out a reliever, since doing so increases the chance of Stubbs making an out?
    If Stubbs feels he can handle the pitch, he should swing at it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

That's a good question; I would like to know the answer, too.

I can tell you one thing- if Stubbs continues sliding so hard and late, feet first into 2nd and 3rd, he's gonna break an ankle one of these days. I thought he almost did last night going into 2nd, on the play where he ripped his pants at the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    That's a good question; I would like to know the answer, too.

I can tell you one thing- if Stubbs continues sliding so hard and late, feet first into 2nd and 3rd, he's gonna break an ankle one of these days. I thought he almost did last night going into 2nd, on the play where he ripped his pants at the knee.
    The dude is so fast a slide for him will always be hard. I am glad he goes feet first instead of diving.
    Taylor High School

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have been saying that Drew Stubbs should be more aggressive at the plate for 4 years now. I still think he does. It isn't about swinging at bad pitches, but I think that he takes too many good pitches early on in an effort to either "work the count" or to "wait for a better pitch". For some guys, I am ok with that approach. But Stubbs has some of the worst contact rates in all of baseball, so he shouldn't look at hittable strikes. I don't have an issue with either of the quotes at hand as long as they aren't being translated to "swing at the first pitch no matter what", and I don't think either Dusty or Stubbs would ever go for such a policy.
    I ABSOLUTELY agree with this... I'd love to see a breakdown of pitch type to Stubbs on the first pitch of his AB's... Without the numbers to verify it looks like the book on Stubbs is to throw him a fastball for a strike on the first pitch because he's usually taking...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Either bunt for an inside the park home run on a 3-2 pitch, or bunt it over the fence I'm guessing?

Seriously, the whole bunt thing has got to stop. The man can swing a piece of lumber, let him swing it.

As somebody who has been critical of Dusty and his "aggressive" suggestions, Stubbs is one guy for whom it makes sense. I think the basic message is the one Doug described. Stubbs isn't a good enough contact hitter to watch pitches that he could have hit and he's got a good enough eye to know the difference. If he sees one he can drive, go for it. Actively working the count is for guys who can keep themselves alive with 2 strikes. And that's not Stubbs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Either bunt for an inside the park home run on a 3-2 pitch, or bunt it over the fence I'm guessing?
    Seriously, the whole bunt thing has got to stop. The man can swing a piece of lumber, let him swing it.

Maybe... But when faced with the alternatives of watching a guy strike out or bunt with enough speed to reach base, I'd rather see a guy put the pressure on the defense to make the perfect play to get the out.

It also forces the defense to decide to play in to handle the bunt which opens up holes in the infield if he makes contact on a swing...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As somebody who has been critical of Dusty and his "aggressive" suggestions, Stubbs is one guy for whom it makes sense. I think the basic message is the one Doug described. Stubbs isn't a good enough contact hitter to watch pitches that he could have hit and he's got a good enough eye to know the difference. If he sees one he can drive, go for it. Actively working the count is for guys who can keep themselves alive with 2 strikes. And that's not Stubbs.
    Perfectly stated. Too often I have seen Stubbs (and also Gomes) go up to the plate and take a first pitch fastball down the pipe...especially when those guys are in a funk. Those guys get into trouble when they go up to the plate playing the guessing game. Gomes especially...how many times this year has he taken strike 1, and then chased the next pitch in the dirt? These guys are hackers (and I'm not saying that in the bad sense)...you get 3 swings when you are up there...make them count.

Perfectly stated. Too often I have seen Stubbs (and also Gomes) go up to the plate and take a first pitch fastball down the pipe...especially when those guys are in a funk. Those guys get into trouble when they go up to the plate playing the guessing game. Gomes especially...how many times this year has he taken strike 1, and then chased the next pitch in the dirt? These guys are hackers (and I'm not saying that in the bad sense)...you get 3 swings when you are up there...make them count.
    Yea but last night Gomes swung at first pitch and hit it to the shortstop for an out when he needed to be a little patient at the plate.
    Taylor High School

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Yea but last night Gomes swung at first pitch and hit it to the shortstop for an out when he needed to be a little patient at the plate.
    He put good wood on it. Speaking for myself I don't have much issue with that AB.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I ABSOLUTELY agree with this... I'd love to see a breakdown of pitch type to Stubbs on the first pitch of his AB's... Without the numbers to verify it looks like the book on Stubbs is to throw him a fastball for a strike on the first pitch because he's usually taking...
    Got this from TexasLeaguers.com. I don't think they correct the pitch identifications, so you have to deal with what MLB.com's Gameday says the pitch is and it isn't always correct, but for the most part, it is.
    Code:
    Type 	Count 	Slct 	Strike 	Swing 	Whiff 	Foul 	In Play
    FF 	165 	37.7% 	60.6% 	30.3% 	4.8% 	9.7% 	15.8%
    CU 	72 	16.4% 	50.0% 	19.4% 	5.6% 	6.9% 	6.9%
    SL 	61 	13.9% 	62.3% 	27.9% 	9.8% 	6.6% 	11.5%
    SI 	51 	11.6% 	58.8% 	23.5% 	2.0% 	13.7% 	7.8%
    FT 	47 	10.7% 	61.7% 	21.3% 	4.3% 	6.4% 	10.6%
    FC 	19 	4.3% 	68.4% 	15.8% 	5.3% 	5.3% 	5.3%
    CH 	18 	4.1% 	55.6% 	38.9% 	5.6% 	22.2% 	11.1%
    FS 	3 	0.7% 	33.3% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0%
    FA 	1 	0.2% 	100.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0%
    FO 	1 	0.2% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0%
    Dan O'Brien might.
    I don't think he would have in the Majors. The idea behind the plan was to get the minor leaguers to look at the pitches in the hopes it improved their pitch recognition abilities.

Turn Off Ads?