Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

Re: Worst Dusty/Stubbs quotes yet...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Got this from TexasLeaguers.com. I don't think they correct the pitch identifications, so you have to deal with what MLB.com's Gameday says the pitch is and it isn't always correct, but for the most part, it is.
    Code:
    Type 	Count 	Slct 	Strike 	Swing 	Whiff 	Foul 	In Play
    FF 	165 	37.7% 	60.6% 	30.3% 	4.8% 	9.7% 	15.8%
    CU 	72 	16.4% 	50.0% 	19.4% 	5.6% 	6.9% 	6.9%
    SL 	61 	13.9% 	62.3% 	27.9% 	9.8% 	6.6% 	11.5%
    SI 	51 	11.6% 	58.8% 	23.5% 	2.0% 	13.7% 	7.8%
    FT 	47 	10.7% 	61.7% 	21.3% 	4.3% 	6.4% 	10.6%
    FC 	19 	4.3% 	68.4% 	15.8% 	5.3% 	5.3% 	5.3%
    CH 	18 	4.1% 	55.6% 	38.9% 	5.6% 	22.2% 	11.1%
    FS 	3 	0.7% 	33.3% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0%
    FA 	1 	0.2% 	100.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0%
    FO 	1 	0.2% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0% 	0.0%

I don't think he would have in the Majors. The idea behind the plan was to get the minor leaguers to look at the pitches in the hopes it improved their pitch recognition abilities.
    I know...completely joking. I was actually suggesting he would tell big leaguers to swing at the first pitch no matter what.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tonight is a perfect example of what drives me absolutely BONKERS about Dusty's philosophy. Down by 2, 2 outs and Isringhausen just walked a guy on 4 straight. KNOW THE SITUATION. The entire at bat by Phillips was setup for Isringhausen by that first weak check swing pitch above the letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Tonight is a perfect example of what drives me absolutely BONKERS about Dusty's philosophy. Down by 2, 2 outs and Isringhausen just walked a guy on 4 straight. KNOW THE SITUATION. The entire at bat by Phillips was setup for Isringhausen by that first weak check swing pitch above the letters.
    That's not Baker's philosophy. That was just stupid by Phillips.

I have no problem if Phillips swings at a grooved one on the first pitch in that situation.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    It almost sounds like you want Stubbs to fail. I think he'll eventually be an all-star calibar player. All he needs to do is cut down on his K's. That can be accomplished by cutting down his swing with two strikes.
    With Stubbs' speed and athletic ability I think he could go into the Hall of Fame, forget about All Star caliber. But not for hitting home runs, for stolen bases. He could be another Rickey Henderson. He has the ability to terrorize defenses, and throw an opposing team off kilter from the first. He could be an extremely valuable weapon. I mourn the fact that he doesn't realize the player he is, and none of the coaches will help him create an approach that will give him the best chance of success. And BTW, if Stubbs focused on simply making contact he'd hit his share of home runs, too...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Dusty's aggressiveness assumes a certain degree of common sense. It's about being aggressive on stuff you can handle, not fastballs at your shoulders.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

This is an overgeneralization, but I also think there's some truth to it. When the Reds do well, the players did a great job. When the Reds do poorly, Dusty Baker messed something up.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This is an overgeneralization, but I also think there's some truth to it. When the Reds do well, the players did a great job. When the Reds do poorly, Dusty Baker messed something up.
    Maybe I was overly involved at the time but it is what I have said since practically the day we traded Junior and Dunn. Dusty is a veteran's manager not a teacher per se. He's out of his comfort zone.

He comes from the "old school" and as such has a history with saying things like "walks just clogging bases", "be aggressive at the plate", etc which can go against the mantra that many teams (NYY, Moneyball, Boston, etc) have begun implementing in taking pitches, working counts, and getting deeper into teams pens.

A veteran player in general has a greater knowledge of MLB and what is successful for them, when Dusty says "be up there looking to swing" they have a better sense of what works for them early in counts. Whereas someone like Bruce or even Phillips had not really had a lot of time in MLB without Dusty as manager so when they heard Dusty say "be up there looking to swing" they have a different sense of what that means. That is what I meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That was just stupid by Phillips.
    That's just Brandon "It felt wrong not to swing" Phillips. You'd think his salary was dependent on how many times he swings during the year. He goes up there flailing like a helpless swimmer in a pool of tiger sharks.

And he ain't ever gonna change either.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Reds are 6th in the Majors in Walks (by hitters, not pitchers.)

Insert excuses now.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    The Reds are 6th in the Majors in Walks (by hitters, not pitchers.)

Insert excuses now.
    They'd be first without Dusty?

Turn Off Ads?