Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monday, 7/25/11 minor league updates

-The Insider-

Monday, 7/25/11 minor league updates

Infielder Jose Castro has been promoted from Double-A Carolina to Triple-A Louisville to fill the spot vacated by recently-promoted infielder Paul Janish.

Outfielder Felix Perez has been placed on Carolina's temporary inactive list.

Infielder Didi Gregorious and outfielder Josh Fellhauer have been promoted from High-A Bakersfield to Double-A Carolina.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Monday, 7/25/11 minor league updates

What kind of injury does Cody Puckett have, and how long is he expected to be out? (It's been a month already.)

Any word on the reason for the Perez thing?

Am surprised that Gregorius was the one promoted and not Brodie Greene. Guess they were looking for more of a pure SS. Is Rojas a long way from coming back?

-The Insider-

Puck and Jas should both be back in a little over a week. Puck is still rehabbing from a broken wrist while Jas is coming back from a shoulder injury.
    Perez could be back in a few days.

Jas? Puck?

Is it too much to write their names, 21? The nickname thing is so tired.

(I fully realize this is coming from an older generation, but nicknames only work when everyone is in on it. It takes much longer to figure out who you're talking about and I feel like I'm reading a Facebook page. And get off my lawn. And i would have gotten away with it to, if not for you pesky kids. And all that.)

All that aside, having Puckett back is good news, though Henry Rodriguez has done very well at 2B. As a 21-year-old, he's done very, very well well below the radar.

-The Insider-

Sorry to use the names that I, and their teammates, are used to calling them in person...
    Last edited by cinreds21; 07-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.

-The Insider-

And speaking of tired, I feel the same way. Not you, but other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Sorry to use the names that I, and their teammates, are used to calling them in person...
    It's a pet peeve from way back in Journalism 101. You tell the name, then give the nickname later in the same article. If it's a good, descriptive, colorful nickname. If it sucks as a nickname, come up with one yourself, steal one from another reporter, or just use his real name.

And plays on first and last names combined are extremely dated. Other than a case like YRod, where many different prospects own the Rodriguez surname, it should probably be ignored. (Personally, I like Stormin' Yorman better anyway.)

Now that I have that off my chest, I think I'm going to go back to my Ovaltine, a***han, and All My Children.

And speaking of tired, I feel the same way. Not you, but other stuff.
    Take a nap, sleepyhead.

I understand and appreciate how close you are to these players but it makes it difficult for the more casual followers of minor league baseball (myself included) to understand the point that you are trying to get across.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It's a pet peeve from way back in Journalism 101. You tell the name, then give the nickname later in the same article. If it's a good, descriptive, colorful nickname. If it sucks as a nickname, come up with one yourself, steal one from another reporter, or just use his real name.

And plays on first and last names combined are extremely dated. Other than a case like YRod, where many different prospects own the Rodriguez surname, it should probably be ignored. (Personally, I like Stormin' Yorman better anyway.)

Now that I have that off my chest, I think I'm going to go back to my Ovaltine, a***han, and All My Children.
    Of course I know you give the full name first and then go on with the last name for the rest of the article. If I was writing an article (or even a blog post) I would use that. However, since all I'm doing is trying to give quick insight to you guys I thought it wasn't that big of a deal, and would be informative, giving you guys an inside look that you would not usually have. That's something I thought people would love to have instead of using "Cody Puckett. Dave Sappelt." However, if you guys don't want that I'll be more than happy to refrain and not post anymore lol.
    And is it a Nautical themed, Pashmina a***han?

I just don't want to have to wade through nicknames to get to the information. (Which is why I'm here. I don't give a crap what they call each other.)

And it's an octagonal pattern in repeating colors of red, orange, pink, and yellow. Plus black as a border.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I understand and appreciate how close you are to these players but it makes it difficult for the more casual followers of minor league baseball (myself included) to understand the point that you are trying to get across.
    +1. The biggest problem is that many of us aren't close enough to the situation, or know the players well enough to have any sense of familarity w/ the nicknames of many players. Jas? = Rojas?

I appreciate the info, I honestly do but I get lost on the nicknames

-The Insider-

They honestly are not rocket science. lol. The only one that is off the wall is Henry Rodriguez's. But whatever I'll be out of here come September anyway. I'm sure Jamie Ramsey will suffice.

That's fine, but the rest of us don't deal directly with these players, so calling them by their actual names would be much more helpful to us layfolks.

They honestly are not rocket science. lol. The only one that is off the wall is Henry Rodriguez's. But whatever I'll be out of here come September anyway. I'm sure Jamie Ramsey will suffice.
    There's no need to take things so personally. It was a simple request that numerous people, including myself, have made and if you're so bothered by it that you want to take your ball and go home, that's your prerogative. We’d love to have you continue to post here, but not with this chip on your shoulder when people offer constructive feedback.

Turn Off Ads?