Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs/Eric Davis

Drew Stubbs/Eric Davis

Valid comparison?

I've heard this made a few times by some of the Cincinnati sports talk radio personnel.

Both have the power and speed. I was too young to remember Davis that well, but overall, how accurate of a comparison is this?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs/Eric Davis

ED was much better in every aspect of the game, but one could say Stubbs is the poor man's ED.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    ED was much better in every aspect of the game, but one could say Stubbs is the poor man's ED.
    What he said. ED once hit 20HR and stole 80 bases in a season. Also had 37HR and 40 SB in a season. True Gold Glove center fielder. He also struck out too much, but not like Drew. ED was/is the man.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

drew stubbs possesses every quality that ED had just to a lesser extent.

Not even on the same planet.

When Eric Davis was in his prime, which was brief because injuries ravaged him, he was the best player I have ever seen, including anybody from the Big Red Machine.

His problem was that he could not sustain that high level of play for longer than 3 or 4 years.

If the Reds had called him up earlier in 1986, he would have hit 30 homeruns and stolen 100 bases.

The following year, he took on the wall in Wrigley, missed 40 games and would have hit 50 homeruns and stolen 70 bases.

Add to that the best outfield defense I have ever seen before or since and the best, most accurate throwing arm (Including Geronimo) and it adds up to the best player I ever saw.

My dad said he was as good as Mays, but I was to young to see Mays in his prime. My dad said Mays would have stolen 50 to 70 bases every year if he had wanted to, but it was a different game back then and they just didn't do it as much.

By the early 60's, Mays had lost the blazing speed he had during the 50's and was a filled out slugger.

Davis, for 3 or 4 injury filled years, was the best player I ever saw.

Stubbs isn't even close.

Similar in style, but not production.

At this point, not even close. ED was arguably the best player in the national league while he was in his prime. He not only had the potential to do everything, but he did everything, hit, power, throw, run, defense. IT is a shame he could not stay healthy because even Barry Larkin was second fiddle to ED in his healthy prime.

not really close other than both being extremely physically gifted.

Davis OPS+
    Age 24 was his first full major league season
    24 143
    25 155
    26 139
    27 153
    28 129

Stubbs still hasnt had an OPS+ above 104 and he entered the majors at the age of 24 too.

However, as blasphemous as this is gonna sound I think Davis may be getting a little too much love as far as just how good he really was. A decent amount of a players value comes from being able to stay healthy. I know injuries negatively affected his career, but never having a single season where he played more than 135 games is rarely just one freak injury. Id like to find a breakdown on all his injuries, or if anyone thinks maybe he could have done more in the off-season to help him stay healthy.
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 07-25-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Davis, for 3 or 4 injury filled years, was the best player I ever saw.

Stubbs isn't even close.
    you must not have watched many plaeyrs

If tonight Stubbs steals third and then gets in a fight with Wright, I will see them as better comps.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I remember they took a poll one year of NL catchers, and they voted Eric Davis the based base stealer. They basically said he was the toughest guy to throw out. And he was.

You always hate to see a guy decimated with injuries. But ED was. But he singlehandedly set the tone for the '90 World Series with that HR off Dave Stewart.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Dude...
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    you must not have watched many plaeyrs
    I dunno.

I watched 3 Hall of Famers, the All Time Hits Leader who would be in the Hall if he weren't retarded, a should be Hall of Fame SS, another SS that will be elected next year, 6 MVP's in the 1970's, 3 World Titles, and that was just the home team.

There isn't enough space for me to tell you all the great players that came through town that I personally saw that played for the opponent.

Other than both are centerfielders, Reds, and fast there is no comparison.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    I dunno.

I watched 3 Hall of Famers, the All Time Hits Leader who would be in the Hall if he weren't retarded, a should be Hall of Fame SS, another SS that will be elected next year, 6 MVP's in the 1970's, 3 World Titles, and that was just the home team.

There isn't enough space for me to tell you all the great players that came through town that I personally saw that played for the opponent.
    Indeed. There's a reason why when it comes to the "eyeball test" everyone raved about Eric Davis when he was healthy, young, and in his prime. He would have been baseball's first 40/40 player had he been healthier in 87, and while I don't know if Canseco was on steroids at that time (probably) was, Davis would have done it clean, even if it was a "juiced ball" season... he himself was clean.

When it comes to that eyeball test in 87, he truly was incredible. I think I remembering him stealing home runs away from Jack Clark in back to back games, or in the same series anyway. The guy had big time power, world class speed, and could run down everything in the outfield. I mean when they're comparing you to Willie Mays in terms of talent and tools, that's pretty elite company. Obviously in part due to the injuries, the numbers weren't anywhere close, but overall the man still had a very good career, and it's not unreasonable for you or anyone else to say he's the best player you ever saw in his healthy prime.

Turn Off Ads?