Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Shields off the Market

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

James Shields off the Market

Well, if we acquire a starter, it won't be him. Have a feeling the Rox will put out a similar statement soon regarding Jimenez. Looks like it's Vargas, Fister or Guthrie if we're going to make that type of move.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4355/james-shields
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: James Shields off the Market

I hope we do nothing.

He is "off the market" till someone makes the right offer

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    He is "off the market" till someone makes the right offer
    My thoughts exactly. If the right offer comes along they'd trade Sheilds, Upton, and Tropicana Field.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If Shields and Jimenez are off the market, I don't want to trade for a second tier starting pitcher. And I definitely didn't want to gut the farm system for Jimenez in a Herschel Walker trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If Shields and Jimenez are off the market, I don't want to trade for a second tier starting pitcher. And I definitely didn't want to gut the farm system for Jimenez in a Herschel Walker trade.
    What!? You don't want to trade 11 players/draft picks for player who can't win the WS by himself. That's crazy talk, look how well the Vikes did in the years following the Walker trade (please note the sarcasm poured on thick and heavy).

I think everyone agrees that trading multiples of Cozart, Alonso, Mesoraco, and Grandel would be a terrible idea. It took a long time to build this product, we don't want to see it dismantled overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Lets say Walt offers them this...would it be to much?

Wood/Yonder/Frazier/Hamilton/Sapplet

If we get Upton and Shields that is OK, but it is way too much for just one player.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    If we get Upton and Shields that is OK, but it is way too much for just one player.
    Is it too much though? I hesitate. Big Game James is signed for 3 years. That's a lot of ace. Wood? Has to go back; they need some kind of pitching in return. Yonder: I really, really, really, really like yonder. I think a lot forget what he is capable of. His number suggest an OPS of 825 and he's got the pedigree to back it up. Six, cheap years of production like that is exactly what the Reds need as a small market team. Frazier? Depends if he really could fill Rolen's shoes (a little smaller this year albeit). Hamilton? Does his bat come around? Does he have enough glove for SS? Who knows. Sappelt? Potential LF'er or 4th OF'er. After going through everyone it does seem like a lot, but i don't think the team would have to change much of the game plan if these guys were traded. LF prospects get a little thin, sure. But it seems like Heisey isn't too bad out there...

Also for the record, on ORG, one of the threads said some radio guy said the Reds and Rays were close to matching up or something. I have no idea if he's got any credibility, but hey, there are grumblings to be heard...

Travis Wood - still young and has shown promise even if he is back in triple A.

Yonder Alonso - with Votto ahead of him, Alonso clearly isn't good enough defensively to be an everyday LFer. He is the Reds best trade chip since they really don't need him and he is a good hitter.

Frazier - I was high on him once, and glad to see him get a shot. But I think he'll amount to a .230 major leaguer......simply because he really hasn't shown much in triple A yet and he's aging fast.

Hamilton - considered by many to be a player to watch at Dayton. Dayton has the next wave of so-called great future Reds major leaguers with Torreyes, Yorman, Juan Duran, Hamilton, Vidal, etc. Hamilton has speed, and after struggling in the first half of the season, like all the Dayton players, is busting out in the second half. I'd miss Hamilton. He's only 20 and on pace for possibly 100 steals.

Sappelt - an interesting guy who has busted out offensively the past 2 seasons, but seems to get little interest from the Reds front office. I get the impression that if he had Hamilton's speed, he'd already be up here with the way he hits. I wish he'd be given a chance. He's definitely a guy who gets on base. We got a ton of guys who K too much.

I'd miss Wood and Hamilton the most. Frankly, I'd rather trade Juan Duran. He K's too much for me in single A. But Yorman would get lonely.

I think it's too much to trade. I think 4 of those guys is plenty. I'd hold Hamilton back.

saw on mlbtraderumors.com that kenny williams is thinking about making some big changes depending on this week. possible if we make a package around volquez and yonder alonso to get edwin jackson, carlos quentin and matt thorton?

we dont need a starter, we need a LF.

We need some offense, period.

On the other hand, if we had a starting pitching staff that only gave up 1 run per night, we would win 2-1 every night.

Yankees inquired about him and Rays said no. Not because they were not open, but because they didn't want to give the Yanks any advantages. He will not come to Cincinnati as much as I would love to have him!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I like Shields' contract status and he would improve the rotation, but he's no ace. He's an average #2 and a great #3. His numbers are nice this year but check the prior seasons. Again, respectable, but not worth gutting the farm system. I'd go Alonso/Volquez/Hamilton and not an inch further. SP is not our problem and we'd possibly be trading away the guy (Alonso) who could immediately be the left handed bat we so desperately need.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?