Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winning may cost us deals..

Winning may cost us deals..

I really think if the Reds win a couple more in a row Walt will back off making any kind of deal and will go with what we have...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Winning may cost us deals..

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I really think if the Reds win a couple more in a row Walt will back off making any kind of deal and will go with what we have...
    I think if this is the case, they weren't serious about making a deal in the first place because they would've said the same thing if they lost a couple and were further out of first. They should be trying to get better, period.

I am inclined to believe the opposite, although I admit it may be 100% due to blind optimism. If we get a couple more wins before the deadline in a row, he will see we have a shot and try to get us all the way there.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I think if this is the case, they weren't serious about making a deal in the first place because they would've said the same thing if they lost a couple and were further out of first. They should be trying to get better, period.
    But I believe both Dusty and Walt believe we are in the "position" we are in not do to a lack of talent, but that talent not playing up to it's level. If that is the case then they feel we will be better.

just stop it with i know what walt and dusty are thinkin b/c u don't. why would they make a move to just a move? that dumb. they will either make a trade 2 improve the team or they wont b/c they didnt find wat they wanted

My hope is they do not trade away the future for someone like Carlos Beltran. If they could get a solid long term player, like Pence or Shields that is one thing, otherwise, keep the focus on being a strong team for the long term.

Look at the Reds in 1970, great team, but took a step back in 71, but kept the focus on the long term and became the Big Red Machine. I am not saying this team is the BRM, but now is not the time to trade everything away to win this year. I get that for the Brewers, but not the Reds.

Maybe I'm drinking the same Kool-Aid as drowg14, but as far as starting pitching or LF goes- I think they will be more inclined to add help with a winning streak.

If both your GM and Manager believe that we are where we are right now due to the present roster not performing up the level they can, if they get on a brief winning streak wouldn't that reenforce that and thus deter them making a deal because we don't need the new blood?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    just stop it with i know what walt and dusty are thinkin b/c u don't. why would they make a move to just a move? that dumb. they will either make a trade 2 improve the team or they wont b/c they didnt find wat they wanted
    Huh? Both have come out and said over and over and over again that this team is talented and just not playing up to that level. Are you saying they are lying?

If both your GM and Manager believe that we are where we are right now due to the present roster not performing up the level they can, if they get on a brief winning streak wouldn't that reenforce that and thus deter them making a deal because we don't need the new blood?
    I give Walt and Dusty enough credit to know that the individual players are contributing at different levels. If it was only up to Dusty I might agree. He is loyal to a fault. But I feel pretty confident Walt can identify potential improvements. I will also admit to wearing rose-coloured glasses at the moment.

Huh? Both have come out and said over and over and over again that this team is talented and just not playing up to that level. Are you saying they are lying?
    no b/c thats 100 % true imo. does not mean u cant improve still.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

But I believe both Dusty and Walt believe we are in the "position" we are in not do to a lack of talent, but that talent not playing up to it's level. If that is the case then they feel we will be better.
    Geez. Same post, different thread, every time.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I've been around long enough to see underachieving teams get hot at the right time. I've been around long enough to see overachieving teams come back to earth at the wrong time (Mets in recent years).
    I've seen mediocre teams win it all (2006 Cardinals).
    I've seen great teams ('90 Oakland) lose to hot teams ('90 Reds).

The Reds players have not been in sync all season. Good pitching, bad hitting. Good hitting, bad pitching. Maybe they put it all together at the right time? (now)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    . Maybe they put it all together at the right time? (now)
    I would prefer September and October.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    no b/c thats 100 % true imo. does not mean u cant improve still.
    What would there be to improve? Scott Rolen is the Reds 3rd basemen till he decides to retire. There really isn't any SS on the market that would be an improvement over what we have (especially if Cozart can return this season), the platooning in LF has gotten better. Our pitching for the most part has been fantastic over the past couple of weeks. So...if the players who were struggling begin to show life, exactly "what" is there to upgrade?

Turn Off Ads?