Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Cairo Appreciation Thread

Miguel Cairo Appreciation Thread

If I told you that Cairo has been nearly as valuable to the team this year as Cueto, would you believe me? What if I told you that Cairo has been worth 1.5 WAR and Cueto has been worth 1.7 WAR?

What if I told you that Cairo has been more valuable than any other pitcher outside of Cueto? And what if I told you that Cairo was more valuable than every Reds position player except for Votto, Phillips, Bruce, Stubbs and Hernandez? More than Rolen, Hanigan or anyone else?

All of the above is true according to Fangraphs.

to Cairo on another good year with the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miguel Cairo Appreciation Thread

Cairo far exceeded my expectations for him last year, and though I was appreciative for the production, I was certain he wouldn't do it again this year. But he's far exceeded that once again.

He's been a pleasant surprise. To be honest, in 'clutch' situations, next to Votto, I prefer Cairo up at the plate more than anyone. That's the truth.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I liked him as a bench player when I lived in NJ and watched the Yankees games and was okay with the thought of him being an expandable Reds player. But boy, he's become the back-up player I've wanted the Reds to have for years. The guy you can plug in at any infield position and not have a huge drop-off in that day's production.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I was just telling my dad yesterday about how Miguel Cairo is the new Dave Weathers for me. I kept expecting Weathers' production to decline much more rapidly than it actually did, and the same is now true for Cairo. I never had a problem with the Cairo extension seeing as how it was "only" $2M, but at the same I time, I never liked it either. The thought was, "Why devote money to a guy that can so easily be replaced by someone in house who has a higher ceiling?" Regardless, I'm happy to say that I'm eating crow right now. I really hope Cairo keeps it up. And let's also not forget to do the unthinkable and give Dusty Baker some credit. If Baker didn't put Cairo in the right matchups, I'd bet you that Cairo wouldn't be as successful as he has been.

Cairo has been excellent. camisadelgolf is right on in his praise of Dusty, too.

I have always appreciated Cairo. He was an good Cardinal and I always liked him.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

He's earned his money for this year and next. If his production falls off a cliff tommorrow he is expendable and we can all sleep easy knowing it was not money wasted. We are playing with house money for the next 15 months.

I hate to say it, but this team may be better with Cairo in the lineup at 3b. At least until he stops hitting, if he ever will. Of course we get a drop off in defense, but Cairo's bat is not killing us. Hopefully we get a relatively healthy Scotty back and have Cairo back in his utility role.

Props to Miguel, just keeps on keepin on. He is becoming one of my favorite Reds as well, I am now really glad we signed him to that horrible deal in the off-season (I thought it was bad as well).
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wonder if the fact, that he really hasn't even been an everyday player for any prolonged amount of time, makes him "younger" than his age.

Once sat in front of the flight crew that work the Reds flights. He's their favorite player by far and their nickname for him is "Hammer", as in M.C. Hammer. They started singing "You Can't Touch This" whenever he walked up to the plate. It was pretty awesome to witness that.

Based on reports from others who played with him, I have a feeling he'll be a coach and maybe even a manager when he decides to retire.

I have always thought this was Jocketty's greatest strength, finding players who are more valuable than their stats.
    "I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    —Bill Cosby

And lets not forget that the guy is a year older then our regular 3Bman.

I really like him, glad we have him; but he's a bench player IMO, and it just illustrates another problem with this team when he has to start.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And lets not forget that the guy is a year older then our regular 3Bman.

I really like him, glad we have him; but he's a bench player IMO, and it just illustrates another problem with this team when he has to start.
    It's not like Cairo is far exceeding what is reasonably expected of him. Other than Chase Headley and Pablo Sandoval, how many third basemen in the NL have been noticeably better than Cairo? Is it really that big of a problem that Cairo has seen as much time at short as he has?

My point is that this organization bought some time at 3B by getting Rolen. They knew, due to age and injury, his skills were beginning to decline. I had no huge problem with the acquisition because, again, it bought us some time, and Rolen was definitely an upgrade from EE. But IMO, that time has probably run out, and I am more upset with a FO that in the meantime still haven't found a solution, or one that may even be close.

So we're back to square one.

I'm more then thankful for Cairo. He's been a blessing.

But he's not the answer either moving forward.

That's my concern. Who is?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My point is that this organization bought some time at 3B by getting Rolen. They knew, due to age and injury, his skills were beginning to decline. I had no huge problem with the acquisition because, again, it bought us some time, and Rolen was definitely an upgrade from EE. But IMO, that time has probably run out, and I am more upset with a FO that in the meantime still haven't found a solution, or one that may even be close.

So we're back to square one.

I'm more then thankful for Cairo. He's been a blessing.

But he's not the answer either moving forward.

That's my concern. Who is?
    Todd Frazier

Turn Off Ads?