Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brithdays- 7/26

Brithdays- 7/26

Reds:

Kevin Barker (36)

Other:

Mat Gamel (26) Once-hot prospect who seems to be cooling.

Jody Reed (49)- Currently managing the Dodgers Arizona League effort. He's famous for turning down a big-money contract and then having to settle for much less, but I've heard this story isn't quite true.

Hoyt Wilhelm- Known as a great reliever, but the only year he was a full-time starter hed had a 2.19 ERA.

Sam Jones- The earlier of the two Sam Joneses who were successful pithcers. This one played 22 seasons, all in the National League, a record I believe only Steve Carlton can match.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brithdays- 7/26

Gamel has been killing it here in Nashville, but that's pretty much always been the case. Hasn't translated well in the bigs.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Hoyt Wilhem was know for his knuckleball. He pitched well into his 40's. I can remember seeing him on a Game of the Week broadcast his last season and thinking how really old he was. I'm sure I am older now than he was at that time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The funny thing about the Reed situation was that him turning down that money hurt the Dodgers too.

They then needed a 2B, so they traded for Delino DeShields, giving up a young Pedro Martinez for him.

I guess the moral of that story is that the Dodgers were really, really stupid back then. lol
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

bump
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Turn Off Ads?