Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should the Reds trade top prospects for pitching?

Should the Reds trade top prospects for pitching?

Since the Reds demoted Volquez and Wood, the starting pitching has been good. Cueto, Bailey, Leake all are pitching very well. Willis seems fine (if not better) for a fifth starter. Arroyo is still struggling but his contract really would be tough to trade - he is probably here for the duration.

I know, if you can get Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee, you do it.

But should the Reds be focused on more starting pitching at this point? Will guys like Ubaldo Jiminez really help that much pitching in a GABP environment? Are the Reds better off trading for hitters, and beefing up the offense particularly against righty hurlers?

Walt has to face this in the next few days.

If I had to choose at this point, I think I would go for adding offense against RHP. But it's a tough call.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds trade top prospects for pitching?

If you can add a true TOR starter you do it. I do agree that another bat or two is needed, but if the chance to lock up Shield or Jimenez at a reasonable cost in prospects presents itself I don't think you can say no.

The more and more I think about it, the more I REALLY want James Shields over UJ. Shields has put over very nice numbers in the most competitive division in baseball. UJ has put up AMAZING numbers in a so-so division over 1/2 or 3/4 of a year. While it's nice that UJ would be under our control through 2013 (right?), Id still much rather get Shields and a decent bat against RHP.

So in short, no, I would not trade Mesoraco for UJ. Grandal I would deal all day long, as would I for Alonso...but not Mesoraco.

-Matt

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Whatever you do, make sure it's going to help in 2012.
    The boat has sailed on 2011, I'm afraid.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    The more and more I think about it, the more I REALLY want James Shields over UJ. Shields has put over very nice numbers in the most competitive division in baseball.
    I agree completely. Shields is the better target for the Reds.

Whatever you do, make sure it's going to help in 2012.
    Agree. Any deals have to have a positive impact for next season as well.

Turn Off Ads?