Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe we need to consider?

Maybe we need to consider?

Yes Votto was last year's MVP, but I am really wondering if overall for this team long term maybe we should consider what he would bring us on the trade market. We have Yonder who is continuing to progress at a good level on the AAA level. Yonder would provide us more stability at 1st for a longer time and be cheaper allowing the Reds to spend monies in other areas. So what kind of return should we look to for Votto?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maybe we need to consider?

I just don't see trading a franchise player in the middle of a playoff race, or for any other time for that matter unless he is in the last year of his contract, you know your not going to be able to resign him, and your out of contention no matter who you have in the minors, or what you can get for him. It would be ike the Cardinals trading Pujols, you can't do it and be taken seriously.

If you could trade him and improve today's team (or the team over the next couple of years), but any team looking to pick him up would be wanting to move prospects. The playoff window for this team comes along so seldom that I don't think you can trade him for prospects HOPING you'll have that window open again in a few years. Go for the ring now while it's in reach.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Go for the ring now while it's in reach.
    This team does not have a ring in reach now and it is not even close.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I would look at some offers in the offseason, I would see what is out there, I am not saying trade him, but I would sure look at what he might bring.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Yes Votto was last year's MVP, but I am really wondering if overall for this team long term maybe we should consider what he would bring us on the trade market. We have Yonder who is continuing to progress at a good level on the AAA level. Yonder would provide us more stability at 1st for a longer time and be cheaper allowing the Reds to spend monies in other areas. So what kind of return should we look to for Votto?
    People act like replacing Votto is an easy thing to do, do you know the last time the Reds had a 1st basemen with 30+hr and hit .300+ besides Votto?

It took the Reds 51 years to replace Frank Robinson (1959)

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    This is as close as they have been in 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    If they traded Joey Votto, i'd go with him. (not that anyone cares lol) I'm tired of the losing mentality. What is the point of rooting for a team that would trade an MVP type player when they finally get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    This is as close as they have been in 20 years
    True, and I guess reach is a relative term. I would say they are in reach of the playoffs. They are a long shot at a championship.

Call me crazy but this I would do is this. I offer Votto the best contract extension the Reds can afford, even with two years remaining on his deal. If he still says no that he can't see hiself committing to this place long term then I tell him were not trading you but bring your left fielders glove this spring traing. Alonso is our new firstbaseman will out porduce all current left fielders and Joey continues to produce in left because he wants that big payday in two years. I know, I know all are going to talk about respect, but all this repect does is cause you to keep getting beat.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm Votto's biggest fan, but I would consider trading him for the right return.

If the Rockies think they can get Mesoraco, Heisey and Chapman from the Reds for Jimenez, I can only imagine what Votto would bring in return.

Geez, the Dodgers might trade Kemp and Kershaw straight up for Joey. I'd do that. Then I'd bring up Alonso.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    If they traded Joey Votto, i'd go with him. (not that anyone cares lol) I'm tired of the losing mentality. What is the point of rooting for a team that would trade an MVP type player when they finally get one.
    We as fans lose sight of the bottom line and it is not winning championships, it is the almighty dollar. If the leadership decides trading Votto could make them substantially more competitive for the next 3-5 years, even more competitive than they would be with Votto, then they might do it. If the mentality was that a more competitive team puts more dollars in the pocket in the long run then it might be considered.

Ownership may very well decide that there is a certain level of success that they are happy with. They may not want to spend more than a certain amount if it means it will cut into their profits too much.

I don't think they are going to trade Votto but I could see a strong case to be made for it...if you were only concerned about the dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I think they ARE close, that's why I think they should move prospects to bring in two or three guys to get them over the hump. If they aren't even close now, then where will they be when Votto and Phillips are gone? We may as well give up on the Reds and focus on football.
    Sto Pro Veritate

People act like replacing Votto is an easy thing to do, do you know the last time the Reds had a 1st basemen with 30+hr and hit .300+ besides Votto?

Actually, it was before the 1966 season, Reds owner Bill DeWitt sent Robinson to Baltimore in exchange for pitcher Milt Pappas, pitcher Jack Baldschun and outfielder Dick Simpson. The trade is now considered among the most lopsided deals in baseball history. In Robinson's first year in Baltimore, he won the Triple Crown, and Baltimore won the World Series.

If the Reds had had Robinson to oversee the young tidal wave of talent that was on the way, many feel as of the Big Red Machine would have arrived much sooner.

My dad said he was essentially run out of town because he was a black man that wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind and that did not sit well with Bill DeWitt.

And with those numbers how did we do in the playoffs last year and so far this season? Again you don't give him away but we do have a very nice replacement in Yonder and could possibily upgrade the team. Are you telling me you wouldn't even consider it?

Turn Off Ads?