Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is Brandon Phillips worth 12 million?

is Brandon Phillips worth 12 million?

Here is what he is on pace for this season

16 HR
    10 SB
    89 RBI
    94 R

Brandon Phillips' numbers always decline in the 2nd half of a season and the numbers above to not reflect that

3 year splits

Brandon Phillips is not the same man he was when the contract was signed
    30 HR
    33 SB
    109 RBI
    107 R

If he is not worth 12 million then why not trade him this week

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: is Brandon Phillips worth 12 million?

Is defense is worth some. Per FanGraphs his WAR so far this year is 3.3. Still a good player.

Yes.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Here is what he is on pace for this season

16 HR
    10 SB
    89 RBI
    94 R

Brandon Phillips' numbers always decline in the 2nd half of a season and the numbers above to not reflect that

3 year splits

Brandon Phillips is not the same man he was when the contract was signed
    30 HR
    33 SB
    109 RBI
    107 R

If he is not worth 12 million then why not trade him this week
    Actually, I've struggled with this because I agree that BP is a good player, but his offensive numbers are declining, and he's not getting any younger.

I secretly hoped he could maybe be a career Red, but his declining numbers tell me that maybe the Reds should consider offers for BP.

I would simply consider it business. I love BP and he will always be a Red to me. But the Reds are a small market club, and I'd rather invest some money in a Matt Kemp or impact player.

If BP realized his numbers were declining, and was willing to take like $7 or $8M per season for like 3 years, I'd consider it based on his defense and okay offense. But I think BP thinks he's still at the top of his game and would scoff at an offer like that.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

But how does his numbers this season compare with other 2nd basemen's in teh NL?

yes

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Absolutely, right now. But the main question is how much will he be worth in 2-3 years, or however long the term of his next deal is.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

lets just trade every1 and with a few triple A WS

Yes

Nerdvana Annihilation

yep, 12 million ez.

Phillips is on the decline. Can't steal bases anymore, power numbers are down and lacks on base skills. Defense is still top notch. Is he worth 12M? Not if it limits upgrades elsewhere.

BP is good hitting 2nd or 6th in the order, but when he hits 4th this team doesn't have enough pop.

I would rather pay 12M+ for a LF that can hit cleanup than spend 12M for a SS that shouldn't hit cleanup.

Is Brandon Phillips worth $12 Mil? Yes.

Can the Reds afford to pay Brandong $12M? I don't know.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Is Brandon Phillips worth $12 Mil? Yes.

Can the Reds afford to pay Brandong $12M? I don't know.
    Agree, if he can maintain the 2.6 WAR that he put up last year he is worth 12M, but can the Reds afford that? Probably not and still get a real cleanup hitter.

If you consider his defense, his popularity among fans, and his value in the clubhouse, yes, he is worth 10-12 mil a year for 3 years. Was OCab's production worth his contract? Probably not, but his influence in the locker room was something that must be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    If you consider his defense, his popularity among fans, and his value in the clubhouse, yes, he is worth 10-12 mil a year for 3 years. Was OCab's production worth his contract? Probably not, but his influence in the locker room was something that must be considered.
    And how much has that helped this year? The Reds are going to need to spend that 12M better than they are now I'm afraid.

Turn Off Ads?