Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 7/27

Birthdays- 7/27

Reds:

Larry Biittner (66)- I still have trouble spelling his name.

Leo Durocher- A Red, although nobody remembers him as one. He's mostly just remembered as a creep. I always thought it was interesting how long it took him to get into the Hall of Fame, despite his obvious qualifications, just because nobody liked him. His luck improved when some people who hadn't personally experienced him got on the Veteran's Committee.

Others:

Max Scherzer (27)- Not too late to make a big step forward, but he's looking pretty league-average right now.

A-Rod (36)- At age 20 he went .358/.414/.631 while playing shortstop. What would you have given up for him at that point?

Floyd Rayford (54)- AKA "Honey Bear"

Len Barker (56)

Ray Boone- Patriarch of the baseball-playing Boones

Joe Tinker- We just had Johnny Evers the other day, so I guess it's natural that Tinker should be close behind.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Birthdays- 7/27

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Len Barker (56)
    Perfect game while pitching with the Indians on May 15, 1981. A story that I heard soon after that game and have never forgotten:

In the days after the game, some of the media caught up with my 96-year-old grandmother, who was living in West Virginia. Someone said, "Your grandson just pitched the 10th perfect game in major league history. What do you think of that?" And she said, "Well, I hope he does better next time!"
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Larry Biittner (66)- I still have trouble spelling his name.

If I am not mistaken, he was the first free agent Dick Wagner ever signed.

Quite a gem there.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    If I am not mistaken, he was the first free agent Dick Wagner ever signed.

Quite a gem there.
    The first FA the Reds signed period. Howsam was defiant in not wanting to sign free agents and Wagner kept that up for a time. Biittner was a good guy who was a serviceable player.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Also, Bump Wills, son of Maury, was born on this date.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Larry Biittner was one of those guys who always seemed to show up in every pack of baseball cards I ever bought as a kid, along with the legendary Ray Oyler.

And me!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Hey, Happy Birthday (a little bit late)!!!!!!!

Hope it was a good one for you.

Turn Off Ads?