Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You?

Would You?

Would you trade Votto for Bautista? Then you could play Yonder at first base with Bautista in LF. Would the Blue Jays do it? I would make the trade and put Yonder at first. Because I think Votto is headed there anyway in a couple of years. I don't think the Blue Jays would do that trade. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You?

do you rly think this would happen?

No I don't think it would happen I was just wondering if you would make the trade as a Reds fan?

yea i guess. no clue on his contact but yea.

Nope, I wouldnt even take that call. I havent seen enough/long enough out of Bautista to know this is really the player he is, might just be another flavor of the month and then drop back down to reality. I guess same could be said of Votto, but there isnt a track record of mediocre at best play behind him.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

There isn't another player in the league I would trade Votto for. If you did trade Votto for someone like Pujols you would probably find a similar drop in production from Pujols due to no protection in the batting order with the likes of Holliday and Berkman not being behind him, to go along with being walked all the time. I think Votto is apparently greatly under appreciated on this board based on the threads i've seen the last few days. It baffles me how this city prefers players like Chris Stynes, Adam Rosales, and Chris Heisey, and constantly want to figure out how to trade a player like Joey Votto when they get one. The Reds should have a mutiny on their hands if they don't do everything they can to keep Votto here.

I would def rather have Votto than Bautista but I really think that Joey is not going to sign here long term. I think he wants to be closer to home in Toronto. I think that is why he didn't sign a longer extension. And that is also why I would think about trading him if the offer was right.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammonator View Post
    I would def rather have Votto than Bautista but I really think that Joey is not going to sign here long term. I think he wants to be closer to home in Toronto. I think that is why he didn't sign a longer extension. And that is also why I would think about trading him if the offer was right.
    Again, I'm one of Joey's biggest fans, but I would trade him for Bautista. And based on their age difference, I might ask for a minor league prospect added to the deal.

Then I would consider keeping Alonso and sticking him at first base.

Joey may have had a career year last year, and it might be as good as it gets for him. Bautista would solidify the 4-hole for several more years. Alonso could bat 3rd. Solves cleanup hitter, LF, and replaces 1B with 2 quality bats. Because the Reds have Alonso is why I would do it, not to mention Bautista is a huge threat in the 4-hole.

All of Cincinnati Reds fans would go bonkers in revolt, but I would still do it.

And I agree, that I don't think Joey will re-sign with the Reds at the end of his contract. Probably the biggest reason I do it.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Can somebody please explain to me what Yonder Alonzo has done at ANY level of the minors to be comfortable and say 1B is covered?

He is having the best full season of his entire career and his slash is 296/.374/.486 as 24 year old repeating AAA. He is not great with the glove. He is slow. As far as I can tell he is Sean Casey with less contact and little more power.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Can somebody please explain to me what Yonder Alonzo has done at ANY level of the minors to be comfortable and say 1B is covered?

He is having the best full season of his entire career and his slash is 296/.374/.486 as 24 year old repeating AAA. He is not great with the glove. He is slow. As far as I can tell he is Sean Casey with less contact and little more power.
    People love their prospects. I have to shake my head at people who won't trade prospects for a proven guy (unless you're rebuilding) out of fear of what the prospect might become. They always look at the upper end of his potential and not where they are likely to end up.

I'd almos ALWAYS take the proven guy over a prospect (including trading draft picks for proven players in football).
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Again, I'm one of Joey's biggest fans, but I would trade him for Bautista. And based on their age difference, I might ask for a minor league prospect added to the deal.

Then I would consider keeping Alonso and sticking him at first base.

Joey may have had a career year last year, and it might be as good as it gets for him. Bautista would solidify the 4-hole for several more years. Alonso could bat 3rd. Solves cleanup hitter, LF, and replaces 1B with 2 quality bats. Because the Reds have Alonso is why I would do it, not to mention Bautista is a huge threat in the 4-hole.

All of Cincinnati Reds fans would go bonkers in revolt, but I would still do it.

And I agree, that I don't think Joey will re-sign with the Reds at the end of his contract. Probably the biggest reason I do it.
    Thank you. I was beginning to think I would be the only one to make the deal. But really I don't think Toronto would make that trade.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammonator View Post
    Thank you. I was beginning to think I would be the only one to make the deal. But really I don't think Toronto would make that trade.
    My gut feeling is that Votto will end up taking a little less to go home to Toronto in 2014 as a free agent. Reds owe him $19M in 2013.

Wouldn't surprise me, IF VOTTO PUTS UP GOOD NUMBERS, to see the Reds approach him about an extension. And if Votto isn't interested, you might see him dealt next season if the Reds again aren't contending. And if he is putting up good numbers and doesn't want an extension, then they definitely might trade him at his highest value if having a good season.

Should be interesting next season to see what happens between Votto and the Reds.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

A young MVP for a career journeyman on a hot streak? No thanks.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Looks like it might have been close to happening.

Old Red Guard Reject

Nope. But, I would trade him for Clayton Kershaw.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?