Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Dusty on the Hot Seat if the Reds get swept by the Mets?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes--and he should be!

31 43.66%
  • Settle down now. Just accept Dusty is here for the duration of his contract.

40 56.34%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty on Hot Seat if the Reds drop 4 to Mets?

Dusty on Hot Seat if the Reds drop 4 to Mets?

I know it's just 4 games, but the Mets are no powerhouse and the Reds have been chronic underachievers this year. Feels like Dusty cant get more than 70 cents on the dollar. Time for a change?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty on Hot Seat if the Reds drop 4 to Mets?

What I voted for and what I think should be are two different things. I don't think Dusty will be on the hot seat, but I think that he should be.

I wouldn't be SHOCKED if Dusty were fired this offseason, but I would be surprised. I think it's more likely his seat becomes very toasty if the team comes out of the game next year and underperforms a great deal. Dusty's going before Walt, we know that for sure.

Dusty only got a 2 year extension in the offseason and was looking for more.

I had a feeling when all that came about the FO wasn't completely sold on him.

I.E. Walt didn't necessarily feel like he was his guy or the right guy. But you can't fire the 1st manager to get you to the postseason in 11 years.

The bread on the butter says this... ( I know what I typed old family joke.)

Dusty has losing seasons in 3 out of his 4 years here. His teams are playing flat and uninterested. He has pushed the wrong button more and more frequently lately and I think this wreaks of pressure.

He kept telling the public and media the team was about to break out and win 8 10 or 12 in a row. Instead the team went over a calender month without winning 2 in a row and might be in the swirl of a long losing streak.

Dusty's act is as tired as Marvin Lewis. Bakermetrics as much as we love to joke, argue and debate about them have proven 1 thing... It doesn't consistently produce a winner. As big of a A as LaRussa is, he has adapted his managerial style and keeps winning and winning and winning. Something Baker refuses to do. (Adapt)

Dusty won't go before the season is gone, but if they finish as poorly as they are playing now, he won't be in the dugout next year.
    Last edited by nemesis; 07-27-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I don't like either of the two options. But I think it depends what happens the rest of the year moreso than what's happening currently.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Dusty only got a 2 year extension in the offseason and was looking for more.

I had a feeling when all that came about the FO wasn't completely sold on him.

I.E. Walt didn't necessarily feel like he was his guy or the right guy. But you can't fire the 1st manager to get you to the postseason in 11 years.

The bread on the butter says this... ( I know what I typed old family joke.)

Dusty has losing seasons in 3 out of his 4 years here. His teams are playing flat and uninterested. He has pushed the wrong button more and more frequently lately and I think this wreaks of pressure.

He kept telling the public and media the team was about to break out and win 8 10 or 12 in a row. Instead the team went over a calender month without winning 2 in a row and might be in the swirl of a long losing streak.

Dusty's act is as tired as Marvin Lewis. Bakermetrics as much as we love to joke, argue and debate about them have proven 1 thing... It doesn't consistently produce a winner. As big of a A as LaRussa is, he has adapted his managerial style and keeps winning and winning and winning. Something Baker refuses to do. (Adapt)

Dusty won't go before the season is gone, but if they finish as poorly as they are playing now, he won't be in the dugout next year.
    +1. Unless this team starts playing up to their (perceived) talent level, Baker could be in hot water this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

I think Walt will show little patience if the season spirals out of control.

He called out basically the FO and ownership, IMO earlier today after the trades made.

"There’s some level of frustration in here because the the rich teams get richer at this time of year,” Baker said. “They usually do something this time of year. They usually did something when Walt was there.”

Jocketty said the Reds continue to talk to clubs about deals.

“Probably nothing will happen until Sunday at noon,” Jocketty said. “Then there will be a bunch of deals.”

This guy basically cannot see how the cards trading what they did for what they got...is really not much of anything ....and it was barely even about any money at all.

This guy basically will toss anyone else other than himself in regards to any blame for the way his teams are playing.

Maybe some will not see it as what he said...as what I think he was saying....but I do think this manager has made excuses about "Not being his team" in 2008.... now it has nothing to do with what he does, it's everyone else.

This team could use a shake up, getting rid of every players best buddy for a different approach might be worth a try.

Mets aren't a bad team though, they just don't have the good fortune to play in a bad division.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I think Walt will show little patience if the season spirals out of control.
    This is the problem: the FO may not be realizing that the season has spiraled out of control. Four games under .500 with over 100 games played is the record of a bad ball club. Add to that being in fourth place, with three teams to overtake and you have a terrible season.

Then look at the very recent situation, likely to lose another homestand, dropping three in a row to the Mets.

That is a season that has spiraled out of control.

I like Dusty, but the team is inept right now. They can't even play defense anymore. This is their strongest suit.

Sometimes I wonder if Scott Rolen is the most important figure on the club. His absence seems to destroy the ballclub's abilities.

I don't know whether Dusty should be fired. I do know that serious changes are needed.

This thing isn't going to get fixed automatically.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2011 at 11:33 PM.

i think both the hitting and pitching coachs need to go.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I have felt for a month Dusty should go. There is no excitement on this team. Dusty has shown he can not handle the youth.

We need a guy in here like Sweet Lou. Get everyone fired up to want to play. A guy like Sparky. Those guys won. The laid back guys have never gotten the Reds anywhere.

I can not believe I am going to say this but Tracey Jones would be a great manager for this team. He would tell you like it is.

The Reds need a leader to manage and be the face of this team.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Does anyone think that someone in manager's seat like Kirk Gibson could light a fire under this team?

I do.

Dusty is too busy being laid back, chewing toothpicks and wearing sweatbands as though he's actually doing something.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Does anyone think that someone in manager's seat like Kirk Gibson could light a fire under this team?

I do.

Dusty is too busy being laid back, chewing toothpicks and wearing sweatbands as though he's actually doing something.

Rem
    I agree Rem.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Managers don't get fired mid-season for losing. They get fired for losing the clubhouse. Often those go hand-in-hand, but I don't see any indication of the latter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?