Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alonso up, but not starting...

Alonso up, but not starting...

I just wonder what the point in bringing Alonso up was if they aren't going to let him start every day, or at least the majority of the time to see what he can do. Wouldn't it be more effective to leave him in the minors and let him play every day instead of letting him rot on the bench as a pinch hitter? I just don't understand this logic, when they called him up, I assumed he would be getting a legitimate shot at playing, not just pinch hitting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alonso up, but not starting...

Dusty has stated that Heisey will be the LF and Yonder is basically the backup first basemen and LH PH off the bench. Which begs the question...

Are Walt and Dusty on the same page?

I was almost wondering if they are trying to avoid him getting hurt before the deadline just in case they want to involve him in a deal...

If they are going to do a platoon, do a true platoon, Yonder against RHP, Heisy against left, am I misguided on this line of thinking?
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by dcameron24 View Post
    I was almost wondering if they are trying to avoid him getting hurt before the deadline just in case they want to involve him in a deal...
    I never thought of it that way, but that makes a little sense I suppose. More sense than bringing him up to rot at least. I think the best way to use Yonder would be to sit Stubbs more, playing Heisey a little more in CF and Yonder in left. Same with Bruce, to a lesser extent. That way Heisey still gets his shot, and Yonder does too.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Dusty has stated that Heisey will be the LF and Yonder is basically the backup first basemen and LH PH off the bench. Which begs the question...

Are Walt and Dusty on the same page?
    My biggest wish is for Dusty to piss off Walt.

The sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dcameron24 View Post
    My though is they don't want to bring him up, play him everyday and then have him struggle. That might make him a little less attractive as trade bait. After August 1st there is no reason in the world not to play him everyday, if they still have him.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Why in the hell would anyone bring up one of their top developing young hitters to be a backup LF/1B???

Asinine.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Why in the hell would anyone bring up one of their top developing young hitters to be a backup LF/1B???

Asinine.
    Gotta play the veterans, dude.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    So fed up with this whole bunch right now. From the front office all the way down, this season has been a complete cluster!#^*
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    So Heisey is a veteran all of the sudden.

You guys absolutely amaze me. All year along - this board has whined, griped and moaned that Heisey should be playing. Now he is and we get subjected to "well you gotta play the veterans."

Oh how quickly the mighty (Heisey) have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post

You guys absolutely amaze me. All year along - this board has whined, griped and moaned that Heisey should be playing. Now he is and we get subjected to "well you gotta play the veterans."

I'm not saying I don't like Heisey, my point is if Yonder isn't going to play he shouldn't be just sitting on the bench. He is one of your top prospects, and should be playing somewhere on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I'm not saying I don't like Heisey, my point is if Yonder isn't going to play he shouldn't be just sitting on the bench. He is one of your top prospects, and should be playing somewhere on a regular basis.
    It's only been four games - and the first game he didn't get there until the game had already started. Where do you play him?

You aren't going to sit Votto (or maybe we should since he is having such an awful year and should be traded). Either Heisey gets his chance or he doesn't - but unless you are a woman or a democrat - you can't have it both ways.

It's only been four games - and the first game he didn't get there until the game had already started. Where do you play him?

You aren't going to sit Votto (or maybe we should since he is having such an awful year and should be traded). Either Heisey gets his chance or he doesn't - but unless you are a woman or a democrat - you can't have it both ways.
    First of all, if you read my posts you would know i'm one of Votto's biggest proponents. He's the best player i've ever seen them have and I think all the Votto trade talk and saying he's declined is idiocy. To answer your question, I'm saying I wouldn't have brought Yonder up if I didn't plan on playing him every day, and if I were in charge of this situation I would like to see Heisey more in CF, and Yonder in LF. My basic point is why did they bring him up if he's not going to play, Dusty has said he will be primarily used as a PH off the bench, so i'm not just just presuming he wont play based on 2 games.

Not at all, I don't think we are saying sit Heisey, but to play Yonder, you can do both at the same time...

Turn Off Ads?