Thread: Arroyo Wants To Stay w/ Cincinnati Past '10

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Arroyo Wants To Stay w/ Cincinnati Past '10

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo Wants To Stay w/ Cincinnati Past '10

I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Arroyo is the biggest no-brainer decision facing this club. Barring a two month long Arroyo Meltdown TM, #61should be in the Reds rotation next year. He has been a rock for this club and will continue to be if given the chance.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Arroyo is the biggest no-brainer decision facing this club. Barring a two month long Arroyo Meltdown TM, #61should be in the Reds rotation next year. He has been a rock for this club and will continue to be if given the chance.
    Arroyo was asked if he would restructure his contract.. this is what unfolded..

If Bronson Arroyo is going to be a Red next year, it’s going to be at the $11 million salary his option calls for.

Arroyo said he would not consider extending his contract at discount rate like Scott Rolen did.

“Not in a million years,” Arroyo said. “Scott’s in a different position than I’m in. He’s in a position where he feels like he’s only got a couple years left in the game. He wanted to retire in this uniform. It’s close to his friends and family. He restructured because he’s made $150 million in the game or whatever it is.

“I’m not in the same boat.”

Given what Arroyo said, the Reds might consider moving him before the deadline. The club has a surplus of starting pitching.

Edinson Volquez and Aaron Harang are about to come off the disabled list.

Johnny Cueto, Mike Leake and Travis Wood aren’t going anywhere. Homer Bailey will come off the DL at some point.

Arroyo has been very good. He is 9-4 with a 4.04 ERA. He’s thrown 120 1/3 innings.

There’s no question the Reds can use Arroyo for the pennant drive. But he would be very hot commodity on the trade market. If the Reds don’t plan on picking up the option, it might be wise to move him. If they don’t pick up option, they have to pay a $2 million buyout.

It’s easy to understand Arroyo’s position. Arroyo signed a 3-year, $11.25-million deal with Boston in January of 2006 – only to be traded to the Reds in March of that year.

“I gave a team a discount one time and they burned me,” he said.

Arroyo is 33.

“This is probably the last chance I’ll get to sign a good multi-year deal,” he said. “Nobody’s going to get paid good at 38. Not that it’s impossible.”

All that said, Arroyo would like to return.

“But I’m not going to stay for a discount,” he said. “I’ve done that once. Loyalty in this game is the upmost. I got to look out for me.”

Arroyo thinks he’d get a big deal on the open market.

“For what I’ve done the last six years in this game,” he said, “to sign back for less than what my option is would be insane. The quality starts and the number of innings I’ve thrown up over the years less than five dudes in this game have done that.”
    I can't see trading him unless the Reds get Haren.. I can't see either happening to be honest with you.. Arroyo is vital to this team and its shot at a division title

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm not sure there's another player in all of MLB who would've answered that question honestly. Seriously. I love Bronson's candor. Some people might not like to hear him say that he'd never consider a discount or taking less money...I like his honesty and I agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Arroyo was asked if he would restructure his contract.. this is what unfolded..

I can't see trading him unless the Reds get Haren.. I can't see either happening to be honest with you.. Arroyo is vital to this team and its shot at a division title
    If I could get a good young SS in return I'd trade him before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I would love to have him back - but not at $11 mil. If the Reds didn't now have Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Wood, Chapman, Bailey, etc., it would have become tempting. Now, though, that $11 million can be reinvested elsewhere.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I would love to have him back - but not at $11 mil. If the Reds didn't now have Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Wood, Chapman, Bailey, etc., it would have become tempting. Now, though, that $11 million can be reinvested elsewhere.
    Though it does become only $9 million saved after the buyout. I think $11 million is fair value for a pitcher of Arroyo's almost guaranteed production. That said, I wouldn't be against the idea of moving him for a quality SS as mentioned above.

Love Arroyo's honesty. Its refreshing to hear someone in sports talk like that.

I think he'll be here next year - but if the young pitching keeps developing at a decent rate, I'd say he's somewhere else in 2012.

And, if The Reds are out of the race next year, he might net a decent package of prospects. Not great, but decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

The idea of trading him now is insane. Have we really been away from a pennant race so long that we forget entirely what it means and how to act?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    The idea of trading him now is insane. Have we really been away from a pennant race so long that we forget entirely what it means and how to act?
    Not really. Arroyo has been very valuable to the Reds and could be very valuable going down the stretch this year. He could also be very valuable to the Reds long term success as a trading chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Not really. Arroyo has been very valuable to the Reds and could be very valuable going down the stretch this year. He could also be very valuable to the Reds long term success as a trading chip.
    Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Insane.
    OK.

Thanks for the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I don't think Arroyo would fetch enough of a return to justify doing such a thing in the middle of a pennant race. If they needed to clear salary because they were bringing in a Dan Haren, it would not be a terrible decision. Otherwise, Arroyo's durability and number of above-average innings down the stretch would be a great benefit to the Reds. Plus, he's the most seasoned guy they have for pitching in the playoffs if the Reds get there.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?