Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They've been no better since Marvin Lewis was hired. They've actually probably been worse.
    Say what you will about Lewis, but worse than the 90s Bengals?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Say what you will about Lewis, but worse than the 90s Bengals?
    ... right which is why I said "since Marvin Lewis was hired".
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    There is simply no way anyone can spin this trade as a win for Oakland.

None.
    Sorry to go back a few pages. I definitely agree we swindled the Raiders, but I'll take a stab at forming an argument that justifies the trade. So, at his worst, Carson is about a league average QB. At his best, he might be in the top 7 (this # is completely arbitrary). First off, many league average QBs are drafted in the 1st round. The cream of the crop QBs go in the first 10 picks. Obviously there are diamonds in the rough (rodgers), but usually late 1st round qbs are hit or miss. This year, their record already puts them in position to have a mid-late 1st round pick. With Carson, you are getting a guarantee. His QB rating is relatively stable and unlike draft picks, you know what kind of production you're getting. It's not going to be top 5, or top 10, but it's average, and possibly better. They now have a decent qb that is fairly consistent under center for the next 4 years. So, in that respect, he might be worth a 1st rounder and a second rounder. They can win now, avoid the gamble associated with the draft and solidify qb for the next few years, and maybe brighten the day of a few bengals fans.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    ... right which is why I said "since Marvin Lewis was hired".
    Perhaps you should have reworded your post better.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm sure this has been brought up before but does anyone know of a Bengals message board with semi-intelligent discussion and less of the stupid banners and avatars?

What is it about NFL message boards? Is there something in the demographic that screams, "I have to have a custom designed banner that takes up half the computer screen"?

I just want a RedsZone-like discussion on the Bengals. Like this thread, but just more detail.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but does anyone know of a Bengals message board with semi-intelligent discussion and less of the stupid banners and avatars?

What is it about NFL message boards? Is there something in the demographic that screams, "I have to have a custom designed banner that takes up half the computer screen"?

I just want a RedsZone-like discussion on the Bengals. Like this thread, but just more detail.
    you should have an option in your control panel to block other peoples sigs and avatars

Bengalszone is decent. Not as civil as this board, but some good discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Most of us didn't ink our name to a contract worth over 100 million dollars.

Sorry, I loved Carson for a long time. But he got worse and worse. And then, he turned his back on his teammates and all of his fans and quit - when his performance was a huge part of the problem. So he's pretty much dead to me.

I hate Mike Brown. But I hate an athlete who gives our entire fanbase the middle finger just as much.
    He walked away from a good portion of that money.

He got fed up with Mike Brown, and he asked to be traded. Brown refused, so rather than take the money and go through the motions, he quit.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    He walked away from a good portion of that money.

He got fed up with Mike Brown, and he asked to be traded. Brown refused, so rather than take the money and go through the motions, he quit.
    He knew all about Mike Brown in 2005 when he signed that huge extension. I can understand being fed up with Mikey, I despise the guy. But no one put a gun to his head and made him sign that extension.

And it's not as if Carson exactly took a huge risk here. He admittedly already had 80 million in the bank. If he never took another snap he was already rich enough to keep his great grandkids from ever having to work.

A lot of people have questioned Carson's will to win over the years, through his quotes and through his demeanor on the sidelines, etc. To me this is just another example of that. Rather than dig in and be a part of the solution, he simply gave up and went home. But I'd love to run into him some day and thank him so much for making The Bengals a much better team without him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The fact that he did by retiring? he doesnt have to play if he doesnt want to.
    So what? It doesn't nullify his contract.

He's free to sit at home but just because he's not arrested doesn't mean that either side can get out when they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Mike Brown is not a genius.

Hue Jackson has been trying to get Carson since the season started. How ever, he had an owner that did not want to make a trade. He also had a second QB.

The perfect storm happened. The owner died, the QB got injured, and the cards suddenly fell into Brown's lap. The only reason he had Palmer is because there were no offers good enough to make him appease Palmer. He was very immature and took a pefect storm in the week of the deadline to make things happen.

He's no more a genius than the poker player who gets a pair of two's on the flop after going in with 2-7 off suit.
    Ding ding!!

I was playing Madden 2007 the past few nights and I realized in just 4 years there are only a few Bengals left from that team. Geathers, Whitworth, frostee, and Williams is all I could remember. Pollack, Thurman, Tab Perry, Chris Perry, rudi, housh, braham, Dexter Jackson, shayne, Tory James, deltha, John Thornton, chris Henry, Brian Simmons, justin smith, stinko, and Carson all out of football, on other teams, or unfortunately deceased.

I'm sure that all of you realize that if Campbell had broken that collar bone three days later Little Mikey wouldn't have gotten anything at all for Palmer.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I'm sure that all of you realize that if Campbell had broken that collar bone three days later Little Mikey wouldn't have gotten anything at all for Palmer.

Rem
    Maybe, maybe not. Seattle was offering 2 2nd rounders. Maybe Marvin convinces him to pull the trigger on a different deal, maybe he doesn't. Doesn't really matter in the end, the deal got done. Someone was desperate enough to meet Mike's (ridiculously inflated) price.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    Not true at all. The two times when Carson would have the most value were leading up to this trade deadline if a team got desperate, and the lead up and day of the next NFL draft. Carson was still going to be a wanted asset then.

I was fine keeping him till then because there would be a bigger market to compete for him. Sure we lucked out with Oakland becoming extremely desperate to win this year, but that's kinda how these kinda deals work. The alternative was dumping him for a 2nd/3rd or something along those lines just to get rid of him. That was obviously not the right thing to do.

Turn Off Ads?