Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion

6-2 at the halfway mark and the luxury of two first rounders this coming draft.

I wish I had a time machine to go back to about July and lay some heavy money down in Vegas. I'd be about as rich as that Cardinals fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I love this team.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The schedule isn't what the haters like me will focus on. The opposing QB's this team has faced is atrocious. The Bengals face Roethlisberger twice this year and then Matt Schaub. Everyone else is whom I'd consider average to below average at best.
    This is the NFL. John Skelton won today. Tim Tebow won today. Matt Moore won today. Mark Sanchez won today. Are any of those guys good quarterbacks?

The Bengals played Alex Smith earlier this year. He currently ranks 6th in the NFL in QB rating. He didn't throw a touchdown in the game and had his second lowest rated game of the season.

Now I think they are going to face some better QB's moving forward than they have going back, but Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick are both rated in the Top 10 in the NFL in QB rating and they threw a combined 0 touchdowns in 2 games against the Bengals. So maybe it isn't just the quarterbacks they have faced and maybe its the defense that is pretty good?

Why does it take a Browns fan to tell some of you Bengal fans (which I did earlier in the season) that you guys have a good team, and that they will do much better then expected?

I turned my Browns off at halftime. I didn't really have high hopes for them this year anyway - just wanted to see some progress - but they've been nailed with some very key injuries. Especially to the O-line. And I've read reports that the Browns are tired of Hillis' antics and will allow him to walk at season's end. Good.

Now back to the Bengals.... I think you guys can win the division. I'm serious. I think you can beat Pitt next week. Your team is fun to watch (and I've been watching them). I loved that catch by Green in the 4th where the two Titan defenders collided with each other trying to break it up, and both ended up laid out on the ground. Priceless! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This is the NFL. John Skelton won today. Tim Tebow won today. Matt Moore won today. Mark Sanchez won today. Are any of those guys good quarterbacks?
    That just tells you how watered down the league has become.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am starting to change my tune on Dalton a little bit. He has a touch more arm strength than I gave him credit for.
    This. Its been easy to fall in love with his headiness (is that even a word?), willingness to stay in the pocket till the last second, ability to scramble and extend plays, etc... but he had 2-3 absolute riles in yesterday's game that were Farvesque. As each week goes by, this kid looks more and more special

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I don't think I've ever been so wrong about a team that I follow.

This team is a pretty good team and they are fun to watch.

GL

Couple of thoughts from yesterday's game

-Dalton is better than expected and getting better.

-AJ Green is better than expected and getting better. It seems as if Dalton has been instructed to get the ball to AJ if he sees single coverage. There were two balls picked off last week that AJ didn't do a good enough job of defending. In today's game he worked a pass interference on a great play, went and picked a ball thrown into double coverage. There was also that quick slant that was supposed to be a run play that netted about 5-6 yards.

- Jay Gruden is looking to be a great hire. Its great to see halftime adjustments made in Cincinnati. There have been very few games (San Fran) in which the team didn't come out better in the second half.

- This D-Line is fun to watch. They get strong and stronger as the game goes along. You always get the feeling that if the Bengals get the lead late they line will be turned loose. It sure is fun to see Carlos Dunlap fresh going against a tired OLine.

- The penalties are getting a little old as are the early half time outs. But other than that I have little cause for being upset.

It will be interesting is the home fans turn out for the upcoming home games. I know the Steeler game is a sellout, but that has a lot to do with all the Steeler fans coming.

I keep waiting for Dalton to make rookie mistakes, but he has made very few of them. He seems about as NFL-ready as I've ever seen for a rookie QB. Particularly when you consider the lack of training camp time.

And the 8-deep defensive line is about as relentless as they come.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It's hard to fully appreciate what Carlos Dunlap does for this team. He's the closer of the NFL. He greatly inhibits teams from coming back in the last two minutes. Just look at yesterday and see how many late comebacks occured, NY Giants, Ravens...In the NFL with prevent defenses, rules in place to favor the offense and using 4 downs, it is commonplace for even mediocre QBs like Flacco to take their teams to scores. But a guy like Dunlap at the very least forces the QB to throw quickly all the while his defense is in a prevent. That it huge in the NFL and is why pass rushing DEs are in such demand

Any chance the game this week against Pittsburgh gets moved to the 4:00 time slot? This has suddenly become maybe the game of the week and I'm sure CBS has to at least think about making it a national game.

I don't believe the flex scheduling for the Sunday night game begins for a couple more weeks so it's probably out of the question.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Just look at yesterday and see how many late comebacks occured, NY Giants, Ravens...In the NFL with prevent defenses, rules in place to favor the offense and using 4 downs, it is commonplace for even mediocre QBs like Flacco to take their teams to scores.
    I've never understood why so many teams go into a prevent defense toward the end of a game, even with a small lead. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 99% of the time that while it may avoid a huge play - the other team ends up picking up huge chunks of yardage, milking the clock and scoring.

If an aggressive defense gave you a lead late in a game, I say stick with what got you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I've never understood why so many teams go into a prevent defense toward the end of a game, even with a small lead. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like 99% of the time that while it may avoid a huge play - the other team ends up picking up huge chunks of yardage, milking the clock and scoring.

If an aggressive defense gave you a lead late in a game, I say stick with what got you there.
    Actually the Bengals went into a prevent D. They went into a cover 2 allowing short throws over the middle to be completed while they guarded the sideline. The difference was the DLine was fresh and reeking havoc with rushing just 4.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Any chance the game this week against Pittsburgh gets moved to the 4:00 time slot? This has suddenly become maybe the game of the week and I'm sure CBS has to at least think about making it a national game.

I don't believe the flex scheduling for the Sunday night game begins for a couple more weeks so it's probably out of the question.
    No the Bengals-Steelers game will be at 1pm. CBS does not have a doubleheader next week so moving it to 4pm is not possible. Also flex scheduling has started but the Patriots-Jets game is next Sunday night so no bumping that game. The following week's Bengals-Ravens game will probably be moved to a 4:15 start since that is a CBS doubleheader week.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Actually the Bengals went into a prevent D. They went into a cover 2 allowing short throws over the middle to be completed while they guarded the sideline. The difference was the DLine was fresh and reeking havoc with rushing just 4.
    Exactly. I hate the prevent too but it does work if you can get pressure with your front 4

Turn Off Ads?