Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion

I was at the game yesterday as a Colts fan and I couldn't get over how few fans were there. The middle sections were maybe 1/2 full and the upper levels were I would guess maybe 3/4 full. Factor in there was a pretty good amount of Colts in attendance and it makes Cincy not appear to be as big of a football town as I thought they were.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mike Brown and a terrible economy have a lot to do with attendance or lack of it.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I was at the game yesterday as a Colts fan and I couldn't get over how few fans were there. The middle sections were maybe 1/2 full and the upper levels were I would guess maybe 3/4 full. Factor in there was a pretty good amount of Colts in attendance and it makes Cincy not appear to be as big of a football town as I thought they were.
    So you were on of them! I was surprised that there was a large (and vocal) presence of Colts fans at the games. Even more so when you consider they are the current leader in the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes (although I don't think they get there).

The stadium was the best it has looked all season long. If you think it looked bad yesterday in previous games the upper deck sections were only full in the middle sections. I doubt it gets better this season and it may take a while next season for fans to start to come back. I mean if you look at the past 6-8 months you had an unpopular coach brought back by an incompetent owner. The golden boy QB decided to quit, Chad Johnson was traded, you had a lockout with your two key players having no experience with a rookie offensive coordinator. If I weren't a season ticket holder I doubt I would have been shelling out $70 for a game, especially when the schedule had very few marque names, even fewer when Manning was said to be more hurt than originally anticipated.

Im not going to complain too much, the tailgating lots have been about half full which makes it nice. I don't have drunken yahoo's sitting next to me each game. I don't have to worry about standing in line for 20 minutes to get a soft pretzel an a beer. Its actually been quite nice for the season ticket holders. I can't really say the same for the rest of the people in the blacked out area.

If the Bengals come home in three weeks at 6-2 they will definitely sell out vs. the Steelers. Then I think they'd have a shot of selling out vs. Cleveland week 12. They just have to keep winning and stay in it.

Houston, Arizona, and Baltimore closing out the home schedule are going to be tough to sell out even if the Bengals are a playoff team.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Marvin today:

In the mystery of the day, Marvin Lewis, when asked for a message to give to the fans, directed a cryptic shot at an unspecified person. "Someone has done a very good job driving them away from here,” Lewis said. “And he’s been very wrong."
    I personally think he's talking about Carson.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Marvin today:

Carson isn't the one telling the fans not to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Mike Brown and a terrible economy have a lot to do with attendance or lack of it.
    The other problem is that Football isn't like baseball where a person often make up his mind 5 hours before the game to go. Because the tickets are so expensive, and the time committment so large, it's rare that a person simply decides on Friday night, "hey I'm not doing anything, I'll go to the Bengals game on Sunday." Even if they do think that, they'll simply purchase the tickets from a scalper.

Given the offseason from hell, there were not many people who chose to purchase the tickets before the season. So making up for sales during the season is very hard to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Carson isn't the one telling the fans not to show up.
    Not necessarily what the quote says. But if you want to read it that way, then who is telling fans that? The Cincinnati media has been pretty positive about the Bengals this year.

I don't think it matters what the Bengal's record is coming off the bye/road games, the Steeler's game will sell out because there will be a ton of black and gold in the stands.

to question the state of football fandom in and around the city of Cincy based upon current attendance is shortsided. Not only does it neglect the solid ratings Bengal's game get over the radio and when available on TV, but it doesn't account for the situation ownership has put the fans thru over the last 20 seasons. Think about it, there is a whole generation of football fans in the area that during their lifetime the Bengals have rarely been nothing more than the laughing stock of the league. There are so many seasons where local business can't even give away their tickets to clients near season's end. In a down economy, with many wondering what their job status will be in 6-12 months, passing up on a pair of $70 tickets (not to mention the cost of parking, food, time, etc...) has become an easy decision.

Not necessarily what the quote says. But if you want to read it that way, then who is telling fans that? The Cincinnati media has been pretty positive about the Bengals this year.
    Cincinnati media is only positive when things are going right and then they try to act like they believed in them the whole time.
    It wasn't that long ago that many of them pimped the whole Who Dey Revolution thing whenever they could.

If the Bengals come home in three weeks at 6-2 they will definitely sell out vs. the Steelers. Then I think they'd have a shot of selling out vs. Cleveland week 12. They just have to keep winning and stay in it.

Houston, Arizona, and Baltimore closing out the home schedule are going to be tough to sell out even if the Bengals are a playoff team.
    And I thought for sure they'd have 60,000 to see a win vs the Colts. It would be sad if there was more black and gold in the stands for that game than orange.

Marvin today:

If he IS talking about Carson then Marvin is the one that's wrong.

It does have to be Carson or Mikey that Marvin is talking about, right? There aren't really any other candidates here, are there?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    It does have to be Carson or Mikey that Marvin is talking about, right? There aren't really any other candidates here, are there?

Under Mikey the Bengals have become known for losing seasons, jail time, and drama. That's what's really sad considering the great Paul Brown used to be the boss. The fans are just tired of the circus.

Reedy says the popular consensus is that it was about Carson:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/.../so-who-is-he/

Due to the bye week, Marvin Lewis’ press conference started earlier today, but there was an interesting comment two-thirds in that has plenty of people speculating.

One of the TV reporters asked Lewis if he had anything publicly to say to the fans to increase attendance at Paul Brown Stadium, Lewis said: “I can’t change people’s minds about things. You know what I mean? Someone has done a very good job of driving them away from here. And he’s been very wrong.”

Ask anyone about their interpretation of “he” and everyone has their idea. The clubhouse leader though pertains to a certain quarterback currently scheduled to make around $6.9 million.
    I'm sure Palmer's last 10 months doesn't sit well with Marvin. How could it?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

If he IS talking about Carson then Marvin is the one that's wrong.
    and if it is then Marvins a little late to try and put him in line.

Turn Off Ads?