Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Re: How bad are the Bengals going to be next year?

Wow, talk about selling Cam Newton short... he's a much better QB right now than Pryor could ever hope of becoming.

He's a rookie on a bad team in the NFL.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-27-2011 at 02:35 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cam Newton at this point is a much better player than Pryor. The only way Pryor could change that is by switching to wide receiver because he won't stick in this league at QB. His throwing mechanics are that bad to where I think we see the Raiders give up on his QB dreams after this season. If Pryor had stayed for his senior season without the suspension he may have gone in the third to fourth round of the draft. The 2012 NFL draft has the possibility to be a very special draft deep in QB's. Pryor would have been swallowed up by that talent and his many shortcomings exposed.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Pryor's mechanics are poor, but I don't think that they are to the point where they can't be fixed. In the few clips I saw of his private workout, his throwing mechanics looked better than they did at OSU. He always seemed to be pushing or guiding the ball instead of throwing it. I think this is something that can be improved. I think it will also help to work with Hue Jackson. He seems like a very creative offensive coach who will be able to work with Pryor. I don't know that Pryor is going to be a good NFL QB, but I think that he will at the very least be an effective player with certain packages designed around him

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The two drafts are pretty similar since you have to give up that pick in the next years draft.
    This simply isn't true. Teams are much less willing to give up a future pick before addressing needs and players available. Giving up next year's third round is quite risky considering the third round is a round expected to bring value, usually at a position of need. The two drafts, and the value of the picks in each round are not that similar.

Jordan Palmer was cut today so I wouldn't be surprised if Carson showed up before the season starts now that hes gone.

Rumors are flying that Carson will show up somewhere between Sept 6 and Sept 9th. Forcing the Bengals to play him or cut him. Unfortunately for Palmer Mike Brown planned for that scenario a long time ago by making sure he stayed well below the cap. It will be interesting to see this battle play out over the next few weeks and how some of the leaders on the team (Whitworth) react to Carson coming back.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Wow, talk about selling Cam Newton short... he's a much better QB right now than Pryor could ever hope of becoming.

I agree with your overall point, but I think this might be a bit much.

As for the Bengals, they have a favorable schedule this year, and if Carson was playing without all the drama surrounding him this offseason, I'd be eyeing the playoffs. However, they have a rookie quarterback who's had limited work this preseason due to the lockout. The defense took a hit with the loss of Joseph, but overall there's still lots of talent on that side of the ball. It really comes down to how well the Line can get to the QB without forcing Zimmer to bring pressure packages.

I've seen fans mockingly claim the Bengals' best player is Kevin Huber, but the fact remains he's a very valuable weapon to have - especially on a team that probably will struggle (at least initially) to maintain offensive drives. Winning the battle for field position will certainly pay dividends should the Bengals find themselves in a lot of close games, which I think they will.

In the end though, the Bengals will probably end up with a high draft pick again. 4-12 sounds about right.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He is a bad rookie quarterback on a bad team in the NFL. He isn't accurate with his throws. He looks to run too quickly. I just don't see it with the guy, at least to the point that he should have gone in the first round or should be starting in the NFL. The fact that the Panthers didn't even bring in a vet QB is hilarious. Their 1st string QB is a rookie who has issues at actually being a quarterback. Their 2nd string QB is the guy who had far and away the worst QB rating (the new ESPN one) in all of the game last year. This team might just go ahead and draft Andrew Luck in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I agree with your overall point, but I think this might be a bit much.

As for the Bengals, they have a favorable schedule this year, and if Carson was playing without all the drama surrounding him this offseason, I'd be eyeing the playoffs. However, they have a rookie quarterback who's had limited work this preseason due to the lockout. The defense took a hit with the loss of Joseph, but overall there's still lots of talent on that side of the ball. It really comes down to how well the Line can get to the QB without forcing Zimmer to bring pressure packages.

I've seen fans mockingly claim the Bengals' best player is Kevin Huber, but the fact remains he's a very valuable weapon to have - especially on a team that probably will struggle (at least initially) to maintain offensive drives. Winning the battle for field position will certainly pay dividends should the Bengals find themselves in a lot of close games, which I think they will.

In the end though, the Bengals will probably end up with a high draft pick again. 4-12 sounds about right.
    You may be right Screwball, I guess my reason for saying that is because I just don't see Pryor as a primary QB in this league. Ronnie Brown in a Randy Moss package? Something like that I could buy into, if Pryor himself is willing to buy into that and work towards that end.

I see Newton as eventually a good QB in the NFL. I watched most of his games in college last season and he can flat out make all the throws needed to succeed in the NFL.

I don't see it with either of them but I don't believe they are vastly different. Both can make all the throws necessary from an arm strength point of view but neither are particularly accurate or quick with their release a problem I don't believe either can overcome.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't see it with either of them but I don't believe they are vastly different. Both can make all the throws necessary from an arm strength point of view but neither are particularly accurate or quick with their release a problem I don't believe either can overcome.
    From what I've seen, Newton is a much more accurate QB right now than Pryor. I think his "improvement arc" is also much greater with more potential.

From what I've seen, Newton is a much more accurate QB right now than Pryor. I think his "improvement arc" is also much greater with more potential.
    From my watching of Pryor last year I got the sense that he "wanted" to be a QB. He "wanted" to go through his progressions. He was a pass first run later QB. He didn't run until the play started to break down. From the little I have watched of Newton he is more of a dual threat type guy. He has more designed run plays, is more willing to take off early, he may be a more accurate QB but has never played in a pro style offense.

I don't know if Newton ever will become a solid NFL QB. I think it would be better for him to sit and learn for a year to fully understand a NFL offense. Over the past decade plus there has been one successful running QB and that has been Vick. And you could even make the point that its been a rocky ride as well. Guys who are two quick to leave the pocket often get hammered when they leave the pocket.

It's well established that running QBs need more time to develop. Steve McNair is a great example. Amazingly he needed about 5 yrs to develop. Mike Vick took awhile too. These guys will be very interesting to watch and it'll be a long road.

Bengals trade Clinton McDonald to Seattle for Kelly Jennings

Ugh

I liked McDonald, if my memory is right Jennings is terrible
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

During the Bengals bye week Benson will be in jail:

The Austin American-Statesman reports that Benson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor assault charge and was sentenced to 20 days in jail today. But with time off for good behavior, Benson will only have to serve about a week in jail (assuming he behaves himself), and the plea agreement allows Benson to report to jail on October 17, the start of the Bengals’ bye week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-week-in-jail/

Turn Off Ads?