Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Bengals Discussion

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: How bad are the Bengals going to be next year?

Even if we're bad enough to earn the #1 overall pick, Luck will pull an Eli Manning on us anyway. Besides, I think Dalton's a keeper and the need for Luck will probably not be there. As an aside, I have a feeling Luck's stock is going to drop this year.

If we re-sign Benson and pick up a nice OL via FA (we have to spend some money somewhere now - it's required) and Dalton/Gradkowski are serviceable, our offense should be league-average. I'm interested to see the transition from Brat to Gruden...did I say interested? I meant "thrilled." Defensively, the secondary is going to be damaged with the loss of JJoe, but if we can grab Clements in FA and those young guys on the line continue to develop, our defense could be good. Not great, but good.

However, even if Benson is brought back, he's likely facing a personal conduct suspension, as is Adam Jones.

I think this team is staring 4-5 wins squarely in the face. A top 10 pick. Blah.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Carolina had an established running back and wide receiver.
    Yet finished with the worst record in the league and a coaching change.

I'll concede the running backs, but Steve Smith is on the downside of his career. Carolina was even discussed as a possibility for AJ Green.

The comparison is more with Jimmy Clausen and Andy Dalton. Both capable college QBs who draft stock slipped (Clausen worse than Dalton), but the teams finished worse off and took a top flight QB the next year. Carolina with Cam Newton, the Bengals IMO will be either Luck or Barkley.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Yet finished with the worst record in the league and a coaching change.

I'll concede the running backs, but Steve Smith is on the downside of his career. Carolina was even discussed as a possibility for AJ Green.

The comparison is more with Jimmy Clausen and Andy Dalton. Both capable college QBs who draft stock slipped (Clausen worse than Dalton), but the teams finished worse off and took a top flight QB the next year. Carolina with Cam Newton, the Bengals IMO will be either Luck or Barkley.
    I don't disagree with the Carolina comparison, except that I think the Bengals are in a worse position.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think they could win anywhere from 0-5 games. I will probably still watch because I'm an idiot when it comes to the Bengals.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Bad enough that they have taken me from an 11 year old that tried to cancel his Birthday party so that he could watch the Bengals in the Super Bowl to a 41 year old that may not watch a game all season.

GL

/stupid Bengals
    //Go Bucks!
    ///Watched them on the 8" B&W TV at the roller-rink.

Joe Reedy just tweeted that the salary floor doesn't start until 2013, so I think that kind of explains everything when it comes to Joseph. The next two years are going to be some of the cheapest Bengal teams ever I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Joe Reedy just tweeted that the salary floor doesn't start until 2013, so I think that kind of explains everything when it comes to Joseph. The next two years are going to be some of the cheapest Bengal teams ever I imagine.
    No, it's in place for 2011 and 2012. Just changes slightly in 2013. So, we have to meet it, but we have until the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    No, it's in place for 2011 and 2012. Just changes slightly in 2013. So, we have to meet it, but we have until the end of the year.
    That's what I've heard previously, but Reedy is saying that's wrong.

Everything I've read stipulates it's in place immediately. Maybe (gasp) Reedy is wrong here? I hope he is.

So, they can go 4 and 12 again and everybody will get a big bonus check.

Everything I've read stipulates it's in place immediately. Maybe (gasp) Reedy is wrong here? I hope he is.
    I hope so too. I read somewhere else this info was first reported by John Clayton, but I can't find it on ESPN's site, so I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I hope so too. I read somewhere else this info was first reported by John Clayton, but I can't find it on ESPN's site, so I'm not really sure.
    The Common Man and the Torg reported that they contacted the NFL offices, who told them that in 2011 the team's need to spend 99% of their available cap space.

After all the salary shredding the Bengals have done (Palmer, Ocho, Odom, JJ), they are now $49 million under the cap. Does Mike Brown have some secret plan he's not telling us about?

yes he is going to pay the national debt off by himself

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The Common Man and the Torg reported that they contacted the NFL offices, who told them that in 2011 the team's need to spend 99% of their available cap space.
    That's league wide, not for individual teams.

http://twitter.com/#!/joereedy/status/97017895825063937

Clearing up salary cap stuff -- In 2011-12, there is a 99 percent cash spent for the entire league. No minimums for individual teams ...
    http://twitter.com/#!/joereedy/status/97018117175255040

The floor and minimum cash spends for each team start in 2013
    I want this to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's not, mostly because I think it explains what the Bengals are doing.

Turn Off Ads?