Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 Bengals Discussion

I feel for Browns fans. For as much poor football as Mike Brown has inflicted upon Bengals fans over the years, at least we don't have to deal with an owner who seems to spend more time and money propping up a mediocre soccer team in the English Premier League. A former season ticket-holding friend of mine dumped his in favor of University of Akron season tickets because he felt Randy Lerner cared more about jet-setting in Europe than fielding a competitive NFL team. Ironically, U of A's soccer team is better than its football team as well.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You guys wanna see anger and frustration? Check out this Brown's season ticket holder outside the stadium, You go guy!

A Browns Fan's Reaction To Today's Game Against Houston - YouTube
    Not to get off topic, but that is the guy who did the weekly web series Man in the Box. He is hillarious. Love that guy.

As for the Bengals, I really don't think you can discount the stretch Pittsburgh has been in and they still haven't had a bye. Cincinnati is catching them at the perfect time. I really like the physicality of the Bengals and deep defensive line. That will really wear on Pitt. I think the Bengals win this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I feel for Browns fans. For as much poor football as Mike Brown has inflicted upon Bengals fans over the years, at least we don't have to deal with an owner who seems to spend more time and money propping up a mediocre soccer team in the English Premier League. A former season ticket-holding friend of mine dumped his in favor of University of Akron season tickets because he felt Randy Lerner cared more about jet-setting in Europe than fielding a competitive NFL team. Ironically, U of A's soccer team is better than its football team as well.
    I don't feel too sorry for Browns fans. 1st, how on God's green earth can a Bengals fan feel sorry for any other sports fan? Don't know if you're a Bengals fan or not, but as one, there's nowhere else to go but up in terms of franchise success over an extended period. Thankfully, it looks like that is happening as we speak, and despite some bumps in the road has been in transition over the last 5-8 years w/ the ability of hindsight.

2nd, I can't tell you how many Browns I've run across that act like its the 50s and the Browns are relavant in football on the national scene. I know my Bengals have sucked for a good portion of my life (34 years), but I certainly don't need Browns fan acting like they've had it sooooo good over the same time frame. Go to pretty much any other state and their both an afterthought, something I think many Browns fans fail to realize.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I don't feel too sorry for Browns fans. 1st, how on God's green earth can a Bengals fan feel sorry for any other sports fan? Don't know if you're a Bengals fan or not, but as one, there's nowhere else to go but up in terms of franchise success over an extended period. Thankfully, it looks like that is happening as we speak, and despite some bumps in the road has been in transition over the last 5-8 years w/ the ability of hindsight.

2nd, I can't tell you how many Browns I've run across that act like its the 50s and the Browns are relavant in football on the national scene. I know my Bengals have sucked for a good portion of my life (34 years), but I certainly don't need Browns fan acting like they've had it sooooo good over the same time frame. Go to pretty much any other state and their both an afterthought, something I think many Browns fans fail to realize.
    I said "I feel for them" as in empathize, as opposed to feeling sorry for them, which would imply that I, as a Bengals fan have had somewhat of a better experience and would be patronizing. I empathize with them because I've lived in Northeast Ohio most of my life and know that a lot of them feel just as downtrodden and done wrong by Browns ownership as us Bengals fans feel about Mike Brown. They've had to deal with Art Modell and Randy Lerner, who while certainly not as thrifty as Mike Brown, have made just as many headscratching decisions in the same time period. In recent years, it seems like NE Ohio has just as many Steelers fans as Browns fans. And Browns fans don't nearly compare to Steelers fans around here when it comes to obnoxious entitlement. I live 20 miles southeast of Cleveland and can't tell you how many times I've heard people stick up for scum like Roethlisberger and James Harrison (Harrison is an alumnus from my alma mater, Kent State). Apparently, if you're a Steeler, you can be a scumbag of a human being, but still get treated as a god as long as you win football games. (FYI, although they're both from Ohio, most Steelers fans here who like Roethlisberger and Harrison never heard of them before they joined the Steelers and most people who knew them before they went pro can't stand them).

Of course, I've dealt with obnoxious Browns fans in the past too, but mostly in the '90s when the Bernie Kosar and Kardiac Kids eras were still fresh in their minds. But ever since the Browns v1.0 left and v2.0 was released, most of them I know have been pretty humble about the team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

yachtzee,

Perhaps the difference in our experience is the area we live in. Living in Northeast Ohio, I'd imagine the attitudes of Browns fans to Bengals fans is much different than down here in the Dayton/cincy area of the state. My father is akron, mother from Stow, none of my uncles/aunts/cousins seems to be the irrational type of Browns fans that I run into here in SW ohio.

I think part of it steems from the years of Bengals coverage, prior to satelitte feeds in every bar, or the NFL sunday ticket when the Bengals were truely horrid during the 90s and the Browns were "ok". The Bengals games would almost always run over top of the Browns game if shown at the same time. In the Dayton area anyways, it always brought angst in the news paper as Browns fans felt like they deserved to have their team on over the Bengals.

while there was probably some truth in that at the time, I think it festered amongst many of the browns fans that I know that continue to act like the Browns are the end all/be all of NFL teams and the Bengals can just go pound sand.

Mike Polk also did the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Videos, which are awesome

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Mike Polk also did the Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Videos, which are awesome

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Were I a season ticket holder in the Dog Pound, I would make a Factory of Sadness banner for the next game.

The other side would say Scooby Doo Ghost Town for the 4th qtr.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 11-11-2011 at 02:51 PM.

What is weird to me is reading Browns forums before/after the first game of the year, it seemed like many Browns fans had the attitude that at least they aren't Bengals fans. Give the immediate history of the two teams it's hard to understand, given that the Bengals have won the division twice since 2005, and this Browns team has never won a division title period.

Both teams have been terrible, neither fanbase should really feel better than the other, but I do know I'd rather at least have '05 and '09 over anything the Browns have done lately.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    What is weird to me is reading Browns forums before/after the first game of the year, it seemed like many Browns fans had the attitude that at least they aren't Bengals fans. Give the immediate history of the two teams it's hard to understand, given that the Bengals have won the division twice since 2005, and this Browns team has never won a division title period.

Both teams have been terrible, neither fanbase should really feel better than the other, but I do know I'd rather at least have '05 and '09 over anything the Browns have done lately.
    I feel better than they should. My team didn't leave town.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I feel better than they should. My team didn't leave town.
    Disagree, no fan should feel bad about having a terrible owner. Not like Mike Brown wouldn't have left if Hamilton County hadn't given him a ridiculous stadium deal.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Disagree, no fan should feel bad about having a terrible owner. Not like Mike Brown wouldn't have left if Hamilton County hadn't given him a ridiculous stadium deal.
    It certainly can kill fan morale. Sure, they got a team back eventually. Still, my crappy owner got what he wanted and stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It certainly can kill fan morale. Sure, they got a team back eventually. Still, my crappy owner got what he wanted and stayed.
    From what I heard, the NFL would have been happy to push Brown into moving the team to Cleveland. Brown felt obligated to give Cincinnati a shot to keep the team, which more than Modell gave Cleveland.

I'm hoping today Dalton assuages my only remaining doubt about his arm. If he is productive even with today's stiff wind, I'll quit worrying about his arm strength altogether.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Dunlap inactive for today's game.

Turn Off Ads?