Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Quote from DeShields

Quote from DeShields

I have talked about the importance of a winning culture in the farm system. Quote from Delino on the value of winning in the local paper today:

“It’s important. It’s really important,” he said. “It’s not everything, but if you can create the kind of culture where winning is expected, it can carry guys in their careers.

The Reds have kept the Dayton team together this year and I think they want this group to play in some meaningful games where there is pressure and learn how to handle that kind of situation.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Quote from DeShields

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I have talked about the importance of a winning culture in the farm system. Quote from Delino on the value of winning in the local paper today:

“It’s important. It’s really important,” he said. “It’s not everything, but if you can create the kind of culture where winning is expected, it can carry guys in their careers.

The Reds have kept the Dayton team together this year and I think they want this group to play in some meaningful games where there is pressure and learn how to handle that kind of situation.
    I am 100% behind not promoting any of this team and letting.them have a shot at the MWL Champonship. Dayton is a 1st class franchise and its fans deserve that oppurtunity. I also think there is no need to rush the kids in their first year of full season ball. I wouldn't mind seeing DeShields moving up with them to Bakersfield next year. Done a great job.

I agree keep the guys together. Promoting anybody to high A at this point in the season isn't worth it.

I would try to get several of the Latin guys on some of the higher level clubs and then use that to gauge where they should be next year.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I am 100% behind not promoting any of this team and letting.them have a shot at the MWL Champonship. Dayton is a 1st class franchise and its fans deserve that oppurtunity. I also think there is no need to rush the kids in their first year of full season ball. I wouldn't mind seeing DeShields moving up with them to Bakersfield next year. Done a great job.
    But the Reds are the only organization where a "promotion" from low-A to high-A is actually a "demotion."

Just sightly kidding. But seriously, it must kind of feel that way given the atmospheres at the respective ballparks. Hopefully the Reds can reunite with the Carolina Mudcats in 2013 and make them the club's high-A affiliate. That would be splendid. Bakersfield clearly doesn't deserve a minor league team if they can only draw 300-400 fans a night. That's turrabul. (Chuck Barkley voice.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    But the Reds are the only organization where a "promotion" from low-A to high-A is actually a "demotion."

Just sightly kidding. But seriously, it must kind of feel that way given the atmospheres at the respective ballparks. Hopefully the Reds can reunite with the Carolina Mudcats in 2013 and make them the club's high-A affiliate. That would be splendid. Bakersfield clearly doesn't deserve a minor league team if they can only draw 300-400 fans a night. That's turrabul. (Chuck Barkley voice.)
    This may have been answered on here before, but why can't the Reds make Dayton the High A or AA team? Is it one of those things where the Reds know people will come in Dayton regardless of the team they field so they want a better product in the markets that need more incentive to get people out?
    And this one belongs to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Schmitbuck View Post
    This may have been answered on here before, but why can't the Reds make Dayton the High A or AA team? Is it one of those things where the Reds know people will come in Dayton regardless of the team they field so they want a better product in the markets that need more incentive to get people out?
    Its about there not being a high A or AA league close enough to Dayton for it to make sense. Kind of like, why are the Reds not in the NL west since they were such good rivals with the Dodgers. Travel wise it would be awful.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Its about there not being a high A or AA league close enough to Dayton for it to make sense. Kind of like, why are the Reds not in the NL west since they were such good rivals with the Dodgers. Travel wise it would be awful.
    Makes sense. Thanks.
    And this one belongs to the Reds

The Dayton owners purchased a Midwest League franchise. The Midwest League is a low-A league. To upgrade the team to Double-A would require the purchase of an existing Double-A team ($12-15 million), a relocation of that team to Dayton, and then the relocation of the Dragons to another city in the Midwest. Travel to Dayton in the Eastern League or Southern League would also be an issue.

Unlikely to ever happen. Doesn't make business sense. How many more people could you draw to offset the $12-15 million investment? Minor league owners are businessmen.

Turn Off Ads?