Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Pence going to the Phillies

Hunter Pence going to the Phillies

Just heard on the Angels broadcast...Hunter Pence to the Phillies...almost a done deal. The rich get richer..............

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hunter Pence going to the Phillies

They are all in for the next 2-3 years imo. Much of their team will be past their prime by then (some already are) and their farm system will be pretty bare with all of these trades at this point.

Such a move could come back to bite them when the teams get old but I guess if they make enough money and can keep on spending ala Boston or New York it could work out ok.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I honestly think they needed to do something like this to have a good shot at getting past the Giants in the playoffs now that the Giants acquired Beltran. I still would give a slight edge to SF, especially if they get Ramon.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

It's a done deal, he was just pulled from the game.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    They are all in for the next 2-3 years imo. Much of their team will be past their prime by then (some already are) and their farm system will be pretty bare with all of these trades at this point.

Such a move could come back to bite them when the teams get old but I guess if they make enough money and can keep on spending ala Boston or New York it could work out ok.
    Yeah, but after the next 2-3 years the Reds could well be without Votto and Phillips. I think the Reds need to be doing the same thing and throwing all their chips in to win the next couple of years.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    Yeah, but after the next 2-3 years the Reds could well be without Votto and Phillips. I think the Reds need to be doing the same thing and throwing all their chips in to win the next couple of years.
    I agree, it needs to happen in the next 2 years.

Must be nice to like a team that has balls to make big time moves.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyforever View Post
    Must be nice to like a team that has balls to make big time moves.
    Yeah,and has the bankroll to afford those balls.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

I don't doubt Walt would make a deal to make a good team better but the Reds are not a good team. He's not going to empty the cupboard to turn a below average team into an average team, just not worth it for a small market team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I don't doubt Walt would make a deal to make a good team better but the Reds are not a good team. He's not going to empty the cupboard to turn a below average team into an average team, just not worth it for a small market team.
    Then how do you ever make a run at the series? I can't disagree more and think the Reds are primed for exactly this situation. They have a good team that's probably 80% there, a core of young guys that will likely improve, and a deep farm system. This is the perfect mixture to make a run in the next couple of years....use the guys on the farm to get the pieces you need to complement what you have and let your young team mature over the next year or two. Go for broke now while you have the chance.

As I keep saying, what are you waiting for? By the time all of these prospects come around (if they ever do), you will probably be missing Votto and likely Phillips so if you are VERY lucky the guys in your system will be as good as what you lose and you break even. I really think you need to use all the assets you have NOW make a serious run. I'd rather see them be real contenders for two years then bad for 5 than see them either barely out of the playoffs or barely in but never a serious contender for the next 10.
    Sto Pro Veritate

They didn't need Pence. Not with that pitching staff. Had plenty of run support for those four pitchers to make it to the World Series.

seems too cheap.....

Congrats on the World Series, guys. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    seems too cheap.....
    What did they give up? If it's a deal the Reds could have matched, I'll be pissed.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Unbelievable, there is no excuse why Pence is not a Red today. I am so done with this Franchise until either we get ownership that cares. Today both Walt and Dusty should be packing up and leaving their offices. Going after Bourne is stupid, he won't be here that long due to whom his agent is and the demands he will have, while we could have had Pence for a very long time. Management of this franchise is a

Turn Off Ads?