Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Aroldis Chapman is dealing!

Aroldis Chapman is dealing!

Chapman is lights out. Shouldn't the Reds get Chapman ready to be a starter? This may sound stupid but couldn't the Reds have a relief pitcher game (or share a start with Arroyo) every fifth day where they start Chapman and add to his pitch count gradually until he can throw 100+ pitches? Chapman wants to be a starter and the Reds need a shutdown ace like him. At this point, wouldn't it be better than running Arroyo out there?

Tell me where I am wrong.
    Last edited by big boy; 07-29-2011 at 11:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aroldis Chapman is dealing!

This would be murder to the bullpen

It's a LOT easier to find middle releif quys than it is starters. If you think Chapeman can do what he did for 6 or 7 innings each time out, then moving him to start is a no-brainer. I'd LOVE to see that happpen, but the question is whether or not he's got the 3rd pitch that most starters need to be successfull.

Personally, I'm hoping they send him to winter ball with the intention of streching his arm out to make him a starter next year. Heck, if they decide this year is lost and start moving guys like Hernandez and Cordero, I wouldn't mind sending Chapman down to AAA and starting the process now. As long as you hold out hope for this year, though, he needs to stay in the pen at the big-league level.

I don't think it makes sense to do that in Cincy, though. Either send him down to prepare to start, or leave him in Cincy and use him as you have been.
    Last edited by Girevik; 07-29-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Sto Pro Veritate

If they do not start stretching him out he will be limited to what 100 innings max as a starter next season

But I thing the plan is and has been for him to be the closer after Coco is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    If they do not start stretching him out he will be limited to what 100 innings max as a starter next season

But I thing the plan is and has been for him to be the closer after Coco is gone
    I don't think so. I think the PLAN is for Masset to close and Chapman to start. I think plan B if they decide that Chapman CAN'T start is to use him as the closer.
    Sto Pro Veritate

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I'd LOVE to see that happpen, but the question is whether or not he's got the 3rd pitch that most starters need to be successfull.
    I don't see why he absolutely needs 3 pitches. Rijo had 2 (FB, Slider) if I am not mistaken. Koufax iirc threw FB Curveball.

With a good enough FB, you really need only one other offspeed. Obviously Aroldis has a world class fastball, maybe one of the best ever. The fact that he doesn't throw a changeup makes me think that it hasn't worked out, and maybe never will. I say try him out anyway.

His July numbers are sic

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I don't think so. I think the PLAN is for Masset to close
    That is one scary plan

He has 4 pitches including a 2 seamer and a changeup. When he was switched to a reliever they had him only Throw fb and slider as many relievers only throw 2 pitches. I don't get not trying him as a stater. It is much easier to find a closer or middle reliever than to find a starter with the potential of chapman. If he fails as a starter then send him to the bullpen but they moved him to the bullpen so they could use him in the playoff run last year. I think this is an enormous mistake.

Make him a starter right now! They need to get back to starting so he can go right into the rotation next year. He will be one of the best pitchers in baseball and the #1 stater we have been looking for. I would love to see a rotation of Chapman, Cueto, Wood, Leake, and Volquez.

Turn Off Ads?