Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to the Trade Deadline (WWYD)

Countdown to the Trade Deadline (WWYD)

Countdown to the Trade Deadline (What would you do?)

Since we have the real rumor/report thread how about a WWYD thread?

Try to be realistic... (of course I would trade Corky for King Felix )

How about:

Wood and Alonso to Tampa Bay for BJ Upton

Bailey, Grandal and Hamilton to Colorado for Jimenez

Hernandez to Giants for Surkamp

Personally I think now would be the time to "buy low" on both of these players. BJ Upton has unbelievable untapped potential which may come out with a change of scenery. Jimenez is having a somewhat off year, but before now he would have been completely untouchable. Ramon would help fill some of what is lost (prospect wise) in the other two trades.

I think the next 2-3 years is our best time to make a run. Alonso is blocked, if Mes is the real deal Grandal is expendable, Hamilton is too raw to contribute anytime soon and Bailey/Wood become expendable if Chapman and Jimenez are moved into the rotation.

If it doesn't work out then you can move Votto near the end of his contract to start "refilling" the prospect pool.

2011-2012 Lineup/Rotation
    SS Cozart
    LF Upton
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    3B Rolen
    C Mesoraco/Hanigan
    CF Stubbs

Cueto
    Jimenez
    Volquez
    Chapman
    Arroyo
    Last edited by dcameron24; 07-30-2011 at 09:33 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Countdown to the Trade Deadline (WWYD)

I would try to acquire Hunter Pence from the Phillies, lol jk.

I have one request and that is that we keep our young pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by dcameron24 View Post

SS Cozart/LF Upton/CF Stubbs
    B Phillips
    1B Votto
    C Mesoraco
    RF Bruce
    3B Rolen

Cueto
    Jimenez
    Volquez
    Chapman
    leake
    Arroyo(lol)

Sadly Arroyo gets left in the rotation by default...

How's that contract working out Walt?

Sadly Arroyo gets left in the rotation by default...

How's that contract working out Walt?
    Most overpaid pitcher in MLB....

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Most overpaid pitcher in MLB....
    He's not even so much "overpaid"...

It's the 15 million in deferred money that becomes paid up front if he's traded that was dumb.

Countdown to the Trade Deadline (What would you do?)

Since we have the real rumor/report thread how about a WWYD thread?

Try to be realistic... (of course I would trade Corky for King Felix )

How about:

Wood and Alonso to Tampa Bay for BJ Upton

Bailey, Grandal and Hamilton to Colorado for Jimenez

Hernandez to Giants for Surkamp

Personally I think now would be the time to "buy low" on both of these players. BJ Upton has unbelievable untapped potential which may come out with a change of scenery. Jimenez is having a somewhat off year, but before now he would have been completely untouchable. Ramon would help fill some of what is lost (prospect wise) in the other two trades.

I think the next 2-3 years is our best time to make a run. Alonso is blocked, if Mes is the real deal Grandal is expendable, Hamilton is too raw to contribute anytime soon and Bailey/Wood become expendable if Chapman and Jimenez are moved into the rotation.

If it doesn't work out then you can move Votto near the end of his contract to start "refilling" the prospect pool.

SS Cozart
    LF Upton
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    3B Rolen
    C Mesoraco/Hanigan
    CF Stubbs

Cueto
    Jimenez
    Volquez
    Chapman
    Arroyo
    Don't know why Upton has any value at all. He is a bust, an attitude problem, really just not a great major league player.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this club needs to coach what they have better....and to do that...you need a new direction at the major league level.

You give a guy like Clint Hurdle and his staff this talent and he wins this division by 5 games.

We need a new hitting coach, pitching coach and manager.

That's the trade deadline move that needs to be made.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Agree. I'd try to change the coaching staff first, and see if they can light a fire under these guys or make some adjustments.

A manager who would use these guys properly would help.

It just seems like management hasn't turned over enough rocks within the organization, such as the farm system or changing who is doing the coaching, before trading a bunch of guys away.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If I were going to make a trade, Ramon for Surkamp would be a start. Replaces some of the young pitching that is going to be traded away.

Cordero's name will probably be crossing the waiver wire the rest of the season hoping some team picks him up. But no team will trade for him with that salary.

Unless the Reds can acquire Matt Kemp, this team isn't going anywhere without a legit 4-hole hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Unless the Reds can acquire Matt Kemp, this team isn't going anywhere without a legit 4-hole hitter.
    Agreed. We are not a leadoff hitter away from turning things around. The biggest hole offensively is the big bat behind Votto IMO.

He's not even so much "overpaid"...

It's the 15 million in deferred money that becomes paid up front if he's traded that was dumb.
    Yes and no. This is effectively a no-trade clause that Bronson waives by renegotiating the actual amount that is accelerated with his new team prior to the trade being official. It gives Arroyo some control over where he is traded.

For example, if he had a no-trade clause, but no accelerated salary the new team might have to pay him a couple million to accept the trade (it would probably be announced as an extension). Instead he renegotiates the 15 million down for teams he's willing to go to. Bronson probably gets about the same money either way and controls who he is traded to either way.

Keep in mind that players value the option to control where they are traded and to avoid it completely the Reds would have to pay him more upfront to compensate for the risk he'd be traded somewhere he didn't want to go. If he'd have taken $1 million more per year then they should have bought him out; if he wanted $5 million more per year you can see why the team used a version of the no-trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Don't know why Upton has any value at all. He is a bust, an attitude problem, really just not a great major league player.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this club needs to coach what they have better....and to do that...you need a new direction at the major league level.

You give a guy like Clint Hurdle and his staff this talent and he wins this division by 5 games.

We need a new hitting coach, pitching coach and manager.

That's the trade deadline move that needs to be made.
    Hurdle did not do a good job in Colorado. Be careful what you wish for.

Upton is an overpaid, bad attitude version of Drew Stubbs. High strikeout guy and has his moments where he can become a distraction.

I would love to land Shields or Jimenez but I'm not giving up the farm for him either. You give me this rotation headed into 2012 and I'll take my chances:

Cueto
    Jimenez
    Leake
    Arroyo
    Chapman/Willis/Volquez/Bailey

I assume Wood or Bailey would be a part of any deal.

id try for Carlos Quentin kinda like jay bruce just less strik outs

Turn Off Ads?