Negron 	        SS 	3 	0 	1 	0 	0 	0 	1 	0 	1 	.205
    Castro, J 	2B 	5 	0 	2 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	.176

Player 	                IP 	H 	R 	ER 	BB 	SO 	HR 	ERA
    Thompson (W, 3-1) 	6.2 	4 	1 	1 	3 	7 	0 	3.02
    Christiani 	        1.0 	2 	1 	1 	0 	0 	0 	6.20
    Horst 	                1.1 	1 	0 	0 	0 	0 	0 	2.50

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sunday July 31, 2011 Minor League Updates

It looked for a while there that Sappelt was starting to fade or stagnate or whatever. He was down to or perhaps below .300 for a spell. Nice bounce back on his part.

It's also good to see Daryl Thompson throwing the ball the way he has been lately.

Catcher Wagner Gomez singled in the game-winner for the AZL Reds in the bottom of the ninth, 3-2. Starter Justice French went seven innings, one earned run.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    It looked for a while there that Sappelt was starting to fade or stagnate or whatever. He was down to or perhaps below .300 for a spell. Nice bounce back on his part.

It's also good to see Daryl Thompson throwing the ball the way he has been lately.
    I think it was the oblique injury that slowed Sappelt down. Tough injury for a hitter. I'd like to see him get a look in Cincy sometime this season.

RHP Justin Lehr is moved from Triple-A Louisville DL to Carolina. IF Carlos Mendez Carlos has been reassigned to Bakersfield. Word is Lehr will start tonight against Huntsville.

In about 100 games and 428 ABs, Sappelt's AAA line is right around .320/.380/.475/.855. Extrapolate those numbers to a 150 game season and Sappelt's got around 60 extra base hits, including double figures in homers, doubles, and triples. He strikes out just a little more than he walks, with an 11.3 K rate and an 8% BB rate.

Consider, too, he's a legitimate CF with plus range and speed (though almost no SBs) that can also play LF.

IMO, he's the best choice among all options (Heisey, Alonso, Lewis, Frazier) for LF in 2012, especially considering his obp and top of the order inclinations. (A Cozart-Sappelt-Votto top of the first might be among the best in the game, with every offensive tool rating at least mlb average among them.)

Nice to see him back up last season's monster year (.342/.395/.507/.902) with another outstanding one this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    In about 100 games and 428 ABs, Sappelt's AAA line is right around .320/.380/.475/.855. Extrapolate those numbers to a 150 game season and Sappelt's got around 60 extra base hits, including double figures in homers, doubles, and triples. He strikes out just a little more than he walks, with an 11.3 K rate and an 8% BB rate.

Consider, too, he's a legitimate CF with plus range and speed (though almost no SBs) that can also play LF.

IMO, he's the best choice among all options (Heisey, Alonso, Lewis, Frazier) for LF in 2012, especially considering his obp and top of the order inclinations. (A Cozart-Sappelt-Votto top of the first might be among the best in the game, with every offensive tool rating at least mlb average among them.)

Nice to see him back up last season's monster year (.342/.395/.507/.902) with another outstanding one this season.
    Not that spring training stats mean anything but he pretty much destroyed it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

I'm thinking along those lines with a bit of a twist. I think Sappelt should be the CF and lead-off hitter, but Stubbs would be my major trade piece. Stubbs this season, even with his 4 for 5 today, is slugging just .396. His Average holds down his OBP and Slugging and this year he's been extremely splitty with a .909 OPS versus Lefty pitching and only .673 vs. RHP. After 2012 he'll be arb eligible and his value is probably as high as it gets. The Reds have needs and Stubbs should be in demand. The team needs to diversify its collection of 6 and 7 hole bats for guys who can play other roles and IMO Stubbs can be the centerpiece of a deal. I'd hand LF to Alonso while Spotting Heisey in for any of the 3 OF or Votto (with Alonso at 1B) for 400 ABs or so. If Alonso can't play out there (which I suspect is the reason we haven't seen him) he's on the block too and a big time bat and a big time arm are on the shopping list. Lewis can be non-tendered.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Dayton trails 3-0 heading into the ninth. Torreyes is batting third today, with Bowe leading off and Hamilton in between. Corcino went six decent innings.

Yorman started in RF but was replaced after one PA by Duran.

Junior Arias has a HR, Buckley and Waldrop triples for Billings, which is tied 4-4 in the eighth. Radhames Quezada struck out seven in 5.1.

Rhinehart with a single in his first AB tonight. Now 4 for 9 at Carolina.

Duran drove in Hamilton in the ninth, but Dayton came up short, 3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm thinking along those lines with a bit of a twist. I think Sappelt should be the CF and lead-off hitter, but Stubbs would be my major trade piece. Stubbs this season, even with his 4 for 5 today, is slugging just .396. His Average holds down his OBP and Slugging and this year he's been extremely splitty with a .909 OPS versus Lefty pitching and only .673 vs. RHP. After 2012 he'll be arb eligible and his value is probably as high as it gets. The Reds have needs and Stubbs should be in demand. The team needs to diversify its collection of 6 and 7 hole bats for guys who can play other roles and IMO Stubbs can be the centerpiece of a deal. I'd hand LF to Alonso while Spotting Heisey in for any of the 3 OF or Votto (with Alonso at 1B) for 400 ABs or so. If Alonso can't play out there (which I suspect is the reason we haven't seen him) he's on the block too and a big time bat and a big time arm are on the shopping list. Lewis can be non-tendered.
    No big time bats, aside from Beltran, are available for outfield use. (Berkman is also available, but I'm guessing he's staying in St. Louis.) That could open up the idea of moving Stubbs for a good haul. More likely, it means a LF big bopper is out of the question. Therefore, Sappelt in LF, with Stubbs in CF.

IMO, Cincinnati has enough power in the lineup to not need a legitimate big bopper in LF or at cleanup. What the lineup needs is a good obp/ good power guy between Votto and Bruce and not a lineup drain like Rolen has been this season. If the Reds don't go shopping this offseason and essentially stay pat offensively, I'm hoping Mesoraco can be that guy next season, though it's doubtful he's put in that position.

IMO, a lineup of:
    Cozart SS
    Sappelt LF
    Votto 1B
    Mesoraco C
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Stubbs CF
    Rolen/ Frazier 3B

is good enough to stay near the top of the league in runs scored. There are no holes, IMO, in that lineup, though it is primarily RH. With a bench of Frazier, Cairo, Hanigan, Heisey, and FA middle infielder (or Janish), this lineup would allow the Reds to go all in, so to speak, on a TOR starter via trade or free agent signing. (Or, preferrably, both.)

Well, Justin Lehr did nicely in his start for Carolina--five shutout innings. It's 0-0 after six. Rhinehart has the Mudcats' only hit. Shunick now pitching.

Guessing Yorman left with an injury after one at bat? The guy may rival Lotzkar for most fragile guy in the farm system.

Turn Off Ads?