Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt Jocketty 'explains' the inactivity...

Walt Jocketty 'explains' the inactivity...

From Mark Sheldon, Here was his position on why no trades were made...

“We thought we were maybe yesterday. In the end, it probably was not as close as we thought it was,” Jocketty said. “We tried working on a number of big deals and some of the guys that were traded, we were in on most of them. Some of the requests for us, we felt were ridiculous and a lot more than we were willing to pay.”

The big issue was that team were asking for some coveted Reds prospects.

“Not just one or two,” Jocketty said. “It just didn’t make good sense for us in the short term or the long term. So we pulled back. We still believe we have enough talent here to win the division. I think we have to play better and I think this weekend was a great indication of what this team is capable of doing.”
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2011/...s-at-deadline/

OK I get all that. But listening to him describe it, almost feels as if he wasn't trying to wait guys out and understand the asking price is always going to start high. I doubt the Indians were being asked of just Pomeranz and White initially. The Rockies were probably also asking for Chisenhall, etc.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Walt Jocketty 'explains' the inactivity...

How many times has he used this excuse now?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    How many times has he used this excuse now?
    I don't know. I feel like the Reds have been moving the goal posts the last few years.

If it's not one reason it's another...
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2011/...s-at-deadline/

OK I get all that. But listening to him describe it, almost feels as if he wasn't trying to wait guys out and understand the asking price is always going to start high. I doubt the Indians were being asked of just Pomeranz and White initially. The Rockies were probably also asking for Chisenhall, etc.
    Could simply be a case of the Reds just not having much enticing stuff behind the "untouchable" level guys.

Someone has to want your guys for a trade to work.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Could simply be a case of the Reds just not having much enticing stuff behind the "untouchable" level guys.

I get all that. But therein lies the problem... I don't believe anyone should have been untouchable.

Not in this situation, where they could get a stud pitcher for the next 3 1/3 years at an affordable price...

Walt Jocketty and redszone's own pedro attend a trade meeting.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Exactly.

I'm disappointed as the next guy that the Reds didn't do anything, but unless we hear the offers and counter offers there is no telling. I sounded like Walt was working hard, he just didn't like anything that was offered. He may have waiting for the asking price to drop on Jiminez and instead Cleveland blinked. We weren't in the room we can't tell what went on.

The Reds have some pretty nice front line young talent and then they have a bunch of guys that RedsZone is high on. No telling if any other team values Mes, Grandal, Alonso, Hamilton or even Bailey and Wood as much as we seem to. Perhaps Colorado was asking for Cueto + Mes to top the Indians offer.

I dunno, all of this "we were in on everything" reminds of Jimbo's "we could have gotten everyone if the owners hadn't stopped me"

Call me skeptical.
    Go Gators!

I get all that. But therein lies the problem... I don't believe anyone should have been untouchable.

Not in this situation, where they could get a stud pitcher for the next 3 1/3 years at an affordable price...
    I'm sure we could pry Jiminez from the Indians for Cueto + Votto this offseason.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

What is worse: no moves or overpaying for the sake of making a move?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    What is worse: no moves or overpaying for the sake of making a move?
    Do you consider James Shields making a move for sake of making a move? He's under contract for 3 1/3 more seasons at an affordable price, FYI...

It just seems there's a lot of rhyme or reason to making such a move.

Do you consider James Shields making a move for sake of making a move? He's under contract for 3 1/3 more seasons at an affordable price, FYI...

Did Shields get moved?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Coincidentally, those are the exact same reasons it's a bad idea for Tampa to trade him. There's only one thing that makes it a good idea, and that's for the other team to invite the Rays to back up a truck and take what they want.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

OK this is a huge leap. Not one team got the "stud pitcher for the next 3 1/3 years at an affordable price

IF he was available for an affordable price do you not think at least one team would have gotten him?

I would have loved to have gotten Shields. He was the only one that I wanted that was discussed but I think it is very revealing that no one else got him either. Either he wasn't available or it was not an affordable price.
    Last edited by paulrichjr; 07-31-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Coincidentally, those are the exact same reasons it's a bad idea for Tampa to trade him. There's only one thing that makes it a good idea, and that's for the other team to invite the Rays to back up a truck and take what they want.
    This has been my beef for several years. We propose trades here that essentially do exactly you stated. The Bedard situation is a perfect example of not jumping just to jump. This season is very likely not going to have a post-season for us. If there was something that could have been done that would have improved the club long term, then do it. But not at the price of overpaying at this particulary juncture. I'd rather they save these chips for the off-season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?