Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Did Walt "fail" today?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm done with the Reds until he's gone

2 2.56%
  • Yes, but he's got another chance

15 19.23%
  • No, but he missed a big chance to send a message

10 12.82%
  • No, but he has to improve this club by Sring Training

33 42.31%
  • No, the other boys wouldn;t play fair

7 8.97%
  • No, the Reds are fine with what they have (I like Pat and I'll stand there)

11 14.10%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did Walt "Fail" Today

Re: Did Walt "Fail" Today

I wouldn't give Walt an F on his report card, wouldn't give him an A either.

If anything I'd give him a C for his body of work since joining the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I voted "no, but he must improve the club by spring training."

He left the door open for making a run against the weak August schedule, but chose not to bother with rentals. Kind of a neither-nor strategy but I'm guessing there was some ownership prodding involved. Mostly, after the Mets sweep, it took rentals and complementary players off the trade board, and it's hard for me to argue with that. That left moves targeted at 2012. If there weren't any trades out there this time because the supply and demand was out of whack, so be it. It's not 2012 yet.

But.

If the Reds are going to win big next season, there's work to do. They really need to add another good pitcher, the lineup needs some reconfiguring, and they need to look at that logjam of prospects in the high minors and sort them out. Time to decide who to hold and who to fold.

In the end, the time to judge the work of preparing the Reds for 2012 is when I see what the 2012 Reds will be. If it's still the same bunch with the same flaws and the same stacked-up depth to no useful purpose, then I'll pronounce failure.
    That's where I stand to Island. Even those mostly frustrated with the Reds right now, are mostly upset because we didn't add a piece for the next 2 years. It's difficult for me to be upset without seeing the on field product for 2012.

I think it's clear that Jocketty sees the weaknesses with the teams and wants to upgrade. Generally speaking the Reds aren't linked to aces such as Jiminez or Shields, so I think the Reds are in agreement with Redszone about what the answer is.

I cna't see any way that the price of said pitchers in the offseason is going to be higher. As such, without seeing specific details of what the offers are, I stand by the notion of not making a move right now. At the same time, the Reds should be positioned to compete next season, and it would be frustrating to see no improvements being made before the start of the 2012 season.

Walt has a bunch of prospects to deal with now. He can't keep them at AAA forever. Eventually, they have to become Reds, be traded, or be cut.

So far, he has dealt with this situation by deferring the outcome.

At some point, he has to do something with these guys.

IMO trading them for pieces that fit is the best route. I guess that's not happening.

So Walt needs to figure out how to use these assets or they will eventually lose value.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Like I said, they shouldn't trade anyone that can help the team.I agree on Alonso and would hope that this off season Walt trades him to get someone more useful to them.That is unless Walt goes to Joey Voto this off season to discuss a longer contract only to get the cold shoulder again.I'm not saying they need to get something done but I'd at least like to know Joey would consider a longer deal at a rate the Reds could afford.If it gets to the point that looks unlikely I'd seriously consider seeing what teams would be willing to give up for Joey.I just don't see how you trade guys like Hamilton or Alonso when it's likely you won't be able to afford guys like Phillips and Voto in the next few years.
    Two or three years are an eternity in 1B years. Unless you know you are dealing Votto over the offseason, you don't hesitate to deal Yonder if the price is right. He;s very talented, but first base is on position that is relatively easy to fill if need be.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As far as I see it, the challenge facing Walt is that this isn't really a team that can be improved on the margins. It needs an impact piece or two and that's not going to be easy.
    The Reds need a hammer at the top of the rotation and another bopper in the middle of the lineup.

They held their cards and didn't overplay this hand, but if they want to be taken seriously in 2012, they're going to have to find some way to get those two pieces in place.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?