Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sappelt

Sappelt

I was looking at the 40 man roster this afternoon and Sappelt is not on it. Does he get a call up in September? Who does he knock off the 40 man roster?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sappelt

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyField View Post
    I was looking at the 40 man roster this afternoon and Sappelt is not on it. Does he get a call up in September? Who does he knock off the 40 man roster?
    Reds fans are going to love this guy.

Mesoraco isn't on the 40-man either. If the Reds are still in it come Sept, I think there is a strong possibility neither are called up. If there are no major injuries that is.

Question: To take a guy off the 40-man do they have to send him through waivers? I believe they do, but am not sure. If that is the case, the only options seem to be 60-day DL or waive somebody you really don't want to keep. Despite Dusty's unflinching love, the only guy that comes to mind that they wouldn't mind losing and that they wouldn't get much out of in terms of compensatory picks is Fred Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewm777 View Post
    Question: To take a guy off the 40-man do they have to send him through waivers? I believe they do, but am not sure. If that is the case, the only options seem to be 60-day DL or waive somebody you really don't want to keep. Despite Dusty's unflinching love, the only guy that comes to mind that they wouldn't mind losing and that they wouldn't get much out of in terms of compensatory picks is Fred Lewis.
    Yes, that you do have put put them on waivers. That's why you don't seen players being moved back and forth all the time.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if they waived Renteria, went with Cozart and Janish at SS, and added either Mez or Sappelt for September.

Was the guy they picked up for Gomes on the 40-man? If not, that would have opened a spot.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I don't think we filled Gomes spot.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I don't think we filled Gomes spot.
    I've been under the impression that Alonso, whom is on the 40-man, replaced Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    I've been under the impression that Alonso, whom is on the 40-man, replaced Gomes.
    im pretty sure hes always been there

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    im pretty sure hes always been there
    You are correct. Not sure how players are added.

Playoff Veteran

Typically players are released to clear a 40 man roster spot. I believe Alonso was on the 40 man already, given he played in the Majors last year. The 60 day DL can clear spots for players on the 40 man as well.

Keep in mind that once a player is added to the 40 man, it starts the clock on the big/bigger payday. There is no good reason to add a player you have no plan for playing unless it is to protect them in the rule V draft.

That being said, I really would like to see if Sappelt can hack the leadoff role in the majors.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

ESPN has the Reds with 39 on the roster

Jose Arredondo
    Bronson Arroyo
    Homer Bailey
    Bill Bray
    Aroldis Chapman
    Francisco Cordero
    Johnny Cueto
    Mike Leake
    Sam LeCure
    Nick Masset
    Logan Ondrusek
    Dontrelle Willis

Ryan Hanigan
    Ramon Hernandez

Yonder Alonso
    Miguel Cairo
    Todd Frazier
    Paul Janish
    Brandon Phillips
    Edgar Renteria
    Joey Votto
    Jay Bruce

Chris Heisey
    Fred Lewis
    Drew Stubbs

Disabled List
    Zack Cozart DL
    Scott Rolen DL

Minors
    Carlos Fisher
    Juan Francisco
    Yasmani Grandal
    Jeremy Hermida
    Jeremy Horst
    Kris Negron
    Jordan Smith
    Daryl Thompson
    Chris Valaika
    Philippe Valiquette
    Edinson Volquez
    Travis Wood
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Don't forget that Burton will be off the 60-day DL soon and will need a spot. That's probably one of our reasons for the Gomes trade.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Sappelt just seems to get on base alot. I've wondered all season why they don't give him a shot at leadoff. I guess Dusty thinks he'd just clog the bases.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Don't forget that Burton will be off the 60-day DL soon and will need a spot. That's probably one of our reasons for the Gomes trade.
    Maloney has been getting starts in Louisville as well.

Turn Off Ads?