Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August Trade Candidates

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

August Trade Candidates

Who will be the most logical to pass thru waivers and be trade candidates in August?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: August Trade Candidates

Hernandez, Cairo, Lewis, Janish, Renteria.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Coco... if the Reds fall really really out of it and a contending team's bullpen blows up like a Katy Perry song.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I mentioned Ramon on the other thread, but he's obvious. I hadn't thought of Coco, but he and the others are good bets as well.

The flip side of this is, if the Reds don't slip out of contention, who might pass through waivers to them?

Hernandez won't clear waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hernandez won't clear waivers.
    At the same time, the team whom claims him is likely going to be a team seriously interested in him. There is of course the chance that a competing team like the D-Backs claims him so San Fran can't get him, but they might be cost concsious enough not to put in a bid in fear of the Reds letting him go out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    At the same time, the team whom claims him is likely going to be a team seriously interested in him. There is of course the chance that a competing team like the D-Backs claims him so San Fran can't get him, but they might be cost concsious enough not to put in a bid in fear of the Reds letting him go out of spite.
    Me thinks the Pirates would be the first team to claim him.

Assuming the Reds and Pirates are both still relatively close to first, that deal won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Me thinks the Pirates would be the first team to claim him.

Assuming the Reds and Pirates are both still relatively close to first, that deal won't happen.
    Division be darned if they offer spects we could use to improve the team (read pitching) in the offseason I would trade him or anyone else from the FA to be list.

I'd have the following guys on waivers tomorrow/today (majors only):
    Anything:
    Coco
    Renteria
    Lewis

Open the roster spot for spects:
    Hernandez

Discuss extensions if demands are too high:
    Phillips
    Willis

At least listen:
    Massett
    Bray
    LeCure
    Bailey
    Heisey

Listed on willingness to trade. If someone is willing to pay what price is needed I dont care what division, if it could/would improve the team anyone of them could be had.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

After the Reds' first 3-game winning streak in seemingly ages... why would we be thinking about who will pass through waivers? lol

I don't know about you, but I don't think losing the division is yet a foregone conclusion no matter how distant it seems at the moment. The Reds have a beneficial schedule the last two months and still have enough games against the Brewers to directly cut into the lead. Plus, let's be honest, Milwaukee has been hideous on the road this year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    After the Reds' first 3-game winning streak in seemingly ages... why would we be thinking about who will pass through waivers? lol

I don't know about you, but I don't think losing the division is yet a foregone conclusion no matter how distant it seems at the moment. The Reds have a beneficial schedule the last two months and still have enough games against the Brewers to directly cut into the lead. Plus, let's be honest, Milwaukee has been hideous on the road this year.
    I honestly just dont know enough about the minor league process and how many guys get put on the waiver wire and actually allowed to pass all the way through or how many teams play chess with waiver requests on spects to venture a guess on who to put there. Its why I left it strictly to the guys on the majors.

For me its as much as how many teams are in front of us as it is the distance. Because even if we win 4-5 in a row doesnt mean we really make up any room as any one of the teams in front of us wins means we dont move at all vs them.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

So, can Arroyo be put on Waivers? If some team like the Yankees claims him, who is responsible for the accelerated deferral of about $15 Million. If its the claimer, I'd put him on Waivers and hope he gets claimed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

The Brewers might be hideous on the road, but if they finish 1 game over .500 in the rest of their games, we have to go 17 over the rest of the way to beat them. That is a lot more than "distant" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Brewers might be hideous on the road, but if they finish 1 game over .500 in the rest of their games, we have to go 17 over the rest of the way to beat them. That is a lot more than "distant" in my opinion.
    Yeah I've seen you mention this several times. However, your math is slightly off...

If the Brewers finish 27-26, they'd have 87 wins. The Reds are currently 53-55, meaning they'd need to go 34-20 to tie. So it's 14 games over, not 17.

Nonetheless, if the Reds sweep the Brewers in September in Cincinnati, that's only 3.5 games the Reds need to make up elsewhere. And again, Milwaukee is awful on the road so while a sweep is never expected, it's not a terribly tall order.

If you look at it that way, 3-5 games isn't really that outlandish.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With a third of the season left, it is a little too early to count them out. Definitely won't be easy. But what if Milwaukee goes 5 under? 8 under? Not sure that they are some sort of lock for anything this far out.

Remember too, that about half of our remaining games will be played with 40-man rosters, which would seem to help us more than anyone in the division.

Still a long shot, but I'm not ready to wave the white flag quite yet. We need to make hay this week, though...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?