Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadline recap: Jayson Stark and Jeff Passan call Reds losers at the deadline.

Deadline recap: Jayson Stark and Jeff Passan call Reds losers at the deadline.

Both sports columnists Jeff Passan and Jayson Stark posted this today:

Jeff Passan
    23. Florida Marlins and Cincinnati Reds, who share a slot as losers because neither bothered to do anything. The Marlins had plenty of pieces to dump. They’re holding onto them so they can look better in the new stadium that no one’s going to go to. The Reds are a mess of disappointments, ostensibly alive in the NL Central race but not helping themselves by, say, continuing to bury catcher Devin Mesoraco(notes) at Triple-A while any number of teams would like Ramon Hernandez(notes). The Reds weren’t buyers. They weren’t sellers. They were just nonentities.

Jayson Stark
    The Reds have been one of baseball's biggest disappointments on the field. This week, they were also one of baseball's biggest disappointments off the field. It seemed as if they were in the mix for every big name out there -- and came away with NO names, big or small.

"And the thing is, they've got a farm system that's loaded with pieces to move, too," said one front-office man. "That's hard to understand, especially in such a winnable division."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Deadline recap: Jayson Stark and Jeff Passan call Reds losers at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    Both sports columnists Jeff Passan and Jayson Stark posted this today:

Jeff Passan
    23. Florida Marlins and Cincinnati Reds, who share a slot as losers because neither bothered to do anything. The Marlins had plenty of pieces to dump. They’re holding onto them so they can look better in the new stadium that no one’s going to go to. The Reds are a mess of disappointments, ostensibly alive in the NL Central race but not helping themselves by, say, continuing to bury catcher Devin Mesoraco(notes) at Triple-A while any number of teams would like Ramon Hernandez(notes). The Reds weren’t buyers. They weren’t sellers. They were just nonentities.

Jayson Stark
    The Reds have been one of baseball's biggest disappointments on the field. This week, they were also one of baseball's biggest disappointments off the field. It seemed as if they were in the mix for every big name out there -- and came away with NO names, big or small.

"And the thing is, they've got a farm system that's loaded with pieces to move, too," said one front-office man. "That's hard to understand, especially in such a winnable division."
    If the reports are right about what was being asked of the Reds and the returning players -- I'm happy to pass

I thought Ramon would be moved but he has been a positive this year so -- shrug
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Re: Deadline recap: Jayson Stark and Jeff Passan call Reds losers at the deadline.

Walt=failed miserably at his job

Walt will get the last laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Walt will get the last laugh.
    this. don't trade when were obv winning it all still.

Playoff Veteran

not to be cliche' but - sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

am I the only one that is happy that we didn't unload our farm systems? I mean it'd be good for us to get a good pitcher but I have said and said alot that we have enough talent to win

Like lots of posters around here, I'm REAL disappointed at the lack of action at the trade deadline, especially in light of the "We're buyers" comment.
    But still, Walt is no idiot. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that he just doesn't feel the Reds have a shot this year, or that the only way they would have a shot would be to decimate the farm system. I don't know how well this strategy will play out though, because I'm sure that StL, Mil and Pit will all be trying to improve themselves over the off-season too.
    Remember, you're unique.....just like everybody else.

there were only 1-2 bats i liked and 1-2 pitchers i liked. the price was to high. maybe with gomes gone we will see decent lf atleast. i also feel like there will be better bat next yr.

Passan vs. Jocketty:

Which of these faces do you trust more in evaluating potential trades?

I'm going with the guy that is old enough to drink.

Age of walt and the writer mean nothing. Walt is not the GM i thought we were getting. Our prospects(in AAA) can not both be to good to deal, and not good enough to help the major league team. It is one or the other. I think the Reds think to highly of what they have. We have to give up real talent to get real talent.

It is time to play Todd and Alonso and see what we have.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedhawk View Post
    Age of walt and the writer mean nothing. Walt is not the GM i thought we were getting. Our prospects(in AAA) can not both be to good to deal, and not good enough to help the major league team. It is one or the other. I think the Reds think to highly of what they have. We have to give up real talent to get real talent.

It is time to play Todd and Alonso and see what we have.
    That's a great point. And we all saw how many games the Reds sacrificed earlier this season playing a LF hitting in the .100s and two SS who were struggling royally.

A wasted year.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Im not too upset that we didnt make any moves. Lets face it there is no way we were going to be able to beat the Phillies in a best of 7 series so why trade off prospects for someone who will not be able to help you pass this year. There were only a few players that I wanted to see in a Reds uni:Shields, Jimenez, Pence, Bourn and Upton. All of those players could have helped this year and next. 2 of them (Pence and Bourn) were long shots to begin with because of being in the same division as the Stros. As for Hernandez, if we dont trade him this month we still should end up with a draft pick if he walks at the end of the season. I would not be shocked if he doesnt end up a type A free agent.

I'm fine with no moves. Jimenez is probably damaged good, either physically, mentally, or both, and none of the other guys mentioned except for Shields or Pence excited me at all. I've seen enough trade deadline deals bring no results at great expense to the future.

There were no Cliff Lees this time out.

Trade deadline deals should be evaluated like drafts slightly. A quick recap could be done a the end of the season to see which if any trades significantly helped a team win right now and also 2-3 years afterwards when prospects that were acquired show if they were really worth it or not.

Anything else is far to knee jerk of a reaction, but tis our society I suppose.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Turn Off Ads?