Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where does Willis fit in the picture?

Re: Where does Willis fit in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A few more good starts and a good report from scouts and I slide a 2 yr 8 million offer across the table. Worst case he falls off a cliff again but realistic worst case he is a LOOGY.
    I agree. He still will get several more starts before season's end, but if he continues to pitch like he has - and the guy is a fierce competitor IMO - how can they let him walk and not make a reasonable offer to retain him?

If this organization cannot afford a 2 yr contract in the 6-8M range, then they have bigger problems. They could offset that amount by cleaning out some of the other dregs on this roster.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Word is they were working with him last night after the game taking ground balls at 3b...

How about?

Cueto
    Darvish
    Leake
    Chapman
    Bailey

Hey we can dream.

I would wait a bit longer & see how he does in his next few starts.
    He has looked good and I would have no problem offering a deal for 2012 or 2012-2013. My 'reading of the tea leaves' says Chapman is the 2012 closer. Assuming Walt gets another pitcher in the offseason we would be looking at...

1) Acquisition
    2) Cueto
    3) Leake
    4) Bailey (always an injury risk)
    5) Arroyo
    6) Willis
    7) Wood if he isn't traded
    8) Volquez who I think will be traded

Having a seven deep rotation would be a very good thing. Especially with Bailey's injury history & Arroyo general stinkiness. this year we have had 7 guys start at least 4 games as well as Maloney & Reineke starting one each.

How about?

Cueto
    Darvish
    Leake
    Chapman
    Bailey

Hey we can dream.
    Had to look up the Darvish guy you mentioned. Wow, can he pitch; in Japan anyway. Odd thing was, he was throwing around 200 IP a year, but only 25 starts. That comes out to a solid 8 IP per start. I would try to take off 2 innings per start, and convert the 50 innings we have left into 8 more 6 inning starts. That way instead of: 25 G, 200 IP, 8 IP/G; we get: 33 G, 200 IP, 6 IP/G. Anyway, does this guy plan on coming to America soon? I saw on BR he isn't pitching in Japan this year, unless their season hasn't started yet.

EDIT: One more thing, for someone who knows, is this: 25 G, 200 IP, 8 IP/G usual in Japan?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

If we don't have room for him in the rotation, maybe we could try him in left field too? He's got some pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Had to look up the Darvish guy you mentioned. Wow, can he pitch; in Japan anyway. Odd thing was, he was throwing around 200 IP a year, but only 25 starts. That comes out to a solid 8 IP per start. I would try to take off 2 innings per start, and convert the 50 innings we have left into 8 more 6 inning starts. That way instead of: 25 G, 200 IP, 8 IP/G; we get: 33 G, 200 IP, 6 IP/G. Anyway, does this guy plan on coming to America soon? I saw on BR he isn't pitching in Japan this year, unless their season hasn't started yet.

EDIT: One more thing, for someone who knows, is this: 25 G, 200 IP, 8 IP/G usual in Japan?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...Darvish-080211

Darvish is the biggest name in the Japanese major leagues, a 24-year-old superstar pitcher for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. It’s widely believed that the Fighters will allow Darvish to leave Japan and sign with a Major League Baseball club after this season. If and when that happens, Darvish will be an even bigger media sensation in 2012 than Daisuke Matsuzaka was for the Boston Red Sox in 2007.
    From a few days back;
    http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...k_was&c_id=was

Darvish currently plays for the Nippon Ham Fighters of the Pacific League in Japan and is considered a dominating pitcher. Entering Saturday's action, Darvish is 13-2 with a 1.44 ERA for Nippon. Prior to this year, Darvish had pitched in 100 games for the Nippon, going 58-22 with a 1.81 ERA.
    A scouting report from 2008
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/265903.html
    A 6-foot-5, 190-pound righthander, Darvish is just 21 years old. Two international scouts described him as having a variety of above-average pitches. He works in the low 90s with his fastball and can reach back for 95-96 mph on occasion. He can cut his fastball, and he also throws a slider, curveball, splitter and a changeup. His ability to locate his pitches makes them play up, and he could be a frontline starter in the big leagues.

"He has plus stuff, and plus command and control to go with plus makeup," one scout said. "If I had a big game, I would be comfortable with him on the mound. He's a No. 1 starter for me. Absolutely filthy last year, and he played most of the year at 20. We'll see what happens as the innings pile on his arm, but he would be 1-1 in the draft . . .
    I'm guessing his posting fee would top $100 million and would end up with the Yankees.
    Last edited by klw; 08-04-2011 at 01:15 PM.

I'd be all for going after Darvish, but wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to landing him. He wouldn't cost any trading chips, whch would leave them free to go after Shields, but I don't see us winning any bidding wars with the big boys. Chapman was a fluke and the stakes/price will be higher.

.283/.350/.415 in 5 starts, he's had eleven 1-2-3 innings out of the 29 he has pitched with a 17-11 K/BB rate.

Of the hitters he's retired

Retired by:
    Strikeout 17
    Ground Out 37
    Line Out 4
    Fly Out 15
    Pop Out 3
    Other 0

The ground out are nice, but he's also essentially a 2 pitch pitcher who relies on a fastball that isn't once it once was.

I wouldn't offer him 4 million for 2 years much alone per year.

He's providing something for nothing right now, but I'd prefer that the Reds let someone else pay for the inevitable decline, because if this is the best he can give the Reds should be able to replace that .

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    .283/.350/.415 in 5 starts, he's had eleven 1-2-3 innings out of the 29 he has pitched with a 17-11 K/BB rate.

Of the hitters he's retired

Retired by:
    Strikeout 17
    Ground Out 37
    Line Out 4
    Fly Out 15
    Pop Out 3
    Other 0

The ground out are nice, but he's also essentially a 2 pitch pitcher who relies on a fastball that isn't once it once was.

I wouldn't offer him 4 million for 2 years much alone per year.

He's providing something for nothing right now, but I'd prefer that the Reds let someone else pay for the inevitable decline, because if this is the best he can give the Reds should be able to replace that .
    Completely agree. I'm rooting for D-Train but every start he has is like watching someone play with fire.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Time is the Revelator.

So, is he legit?

He just had his best outing yet. 8 IP, 10 K, 5 H, 3 ER against a pretty legit offense.

I am so confused!
    Last edited by LvJ; 08-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    So, is he legit?

He just had his best outing yet. 8 IP, 10 K, 5 H, 3 ER against a pretty legit offense.

I am so confused!
    Watching him, I don't know how he's getting strikeouts. Seems like a standard soft-tossing lefty.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Watching him, I don't know how he's getting strikeouts. Seems like a standard soft-tossing lefty.
    He's deceptive. Has always been his strength. If he finishes strong, they need to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You mean like Jamie Moyer?

Dontrelle is a much different guy against lefties than he is against righties. I think he's best cast in the pen or as a back end starter depth.

Moyer actually didn't have dramatic platoon splits.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?