Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now vs. the future

Now vs. the future

Last night on the ESPN sunday night game they interviewed the Cards GM and he basically said that the moves he made trade wise was for this season and he was not considering or looking how it impacted the team in the future. I think that is how GM's of pro sports teams have to approach things in today's sports world. If you are a team that has the ability or talent to win now you can't be worried what is in the future. I think Walt is working off of how teams were run in the past and while that might be okay, overall I think we are seeing a new trend in sport's managment that maybe Walt/Dusty and Bob need to get up to speed on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Now vs. the future

disagree. i think the reds just have a sense on how good yonder alonzo will be and there just not going to give him away.

I don't think things have changed all that much. Every business decides either to grab the quick buck or build a growing, sustainable enterprise. Walt chose the second path with the Reds. I applaud him for it.

Melbourne, Florida and Pickerington, Ohio

The Reds are a small market and have done a wonderful job in the farm system. The young talent will continue to improve and we cannot "rent" players and give away the top young talent in hopes of winning it all now. I think the young talent can bring many years of quality teams to Cincinnati. If Arroyo had been healthy and Volquez would have shown up this year, we could be in first place with the good young talent we have. We cannot give away the quality young ones for one season. Walt did well.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Last night on the ESPN sunday night game they interviewed the Cards GM and he basically said that the moves he made trade wise was for this season and he was not considering or looking how it impacted the team in the future. I think that is how GM's of pro sports teams have to approach things in today's sports world. If you are a team that has the ability or talent to win now you can't be worried what is in the future. I think Walt is working off of how teams were run in the past and while that might be okay, overall I think we are seeing a new trend in sport's managment that maybe Walt/Dusty and Bob need to get up to speed on.
    .....and if you were a GM, you'd be out of baseball and commentating on MSNBC about sports, in some 1 minute segment, probably about now.

You have to consider the long term viability of your business. I am a business owner, and I would never operate for the quick buck without considering the future. Just poor management.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    .....and if you were a GM, you'd be out of baseball and commentating on MSNBC about sports, in some 1 minute segment, probably about now.

You have to consider the long term viability of your business. I am a business owner, and I would never operate for the quick buck without considering the future. Just poor management.
    There is a huge difference between a normal business and the business of sports. Fans want, no demand winning now, they don't care about tomorrow. I am willing to bet that if you asked 100 Reds fans after a game, if they would give up the next 5 seasons of being good if it ment we won the WS this year, a very strong majority would say yes. The sports would is unlike other normal business.

There is a huge difference between a normal business and the business of sports. Fans want, no demand winning now, they don't care about tomorrow. I am willing to bet that if you asked 100 Reds fans after a game, if they would give up the next 5 seasons of being good if it ment we won the WS this year, a very strong majority would say yes. The sports would is unlike other normal business.
    .......a huge hole in your argument is that there wasn't one player out there AVAILABLE that would help the Reds win the WS this year.

Therefore, they didn't mortgage the future.

And good for them.

Pujols could easily walk after this season, so of course the Cardinals want to go all in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    .......a huge hole in your argument is that there wasn't one player out there AVAILABLE that would help the Reds win the WS this year.

Therefore, they didn't mortgage the future.

And good for them.
    No there wasn't, but there was a player (Pence) who would have significantly up graded this team and cost us what? Maybe a future catcher? What other player that could have been included would have hurt us over the next 3-4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    disagree. i think the reds just have a sense on how good yonder alonzo will be and there just not going to give him away.
    We have been playing for the future for 21 years, how is that working out?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    We have been playing for the future for 21 years, how is that working out?
    You're forgetting one thing. Previous regimes jumped on and off the plan - never stayed with anything consistent. I'm a win now guy myself - but at least the Reds have developed a game plan to try to have some sustained success - and seem to be sticking to it.

The Reds made the playoffs last year, if they don't this year but do in the next three years with some steady improvement how can anyone argue with that? I know that is supposition, but that's how the Big Red Machine was built. I'm not saying that this group will be another Big Red Machine - but they certainly could be a reason facsimile.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Pujols could easily walk after this season, so of course the Cardinals want to go all in this year.
    This. The Cardinals have so much uncertainty in the coming offseason that they don't know if they will have to face a huge rebuild after the season. It's especially not smart to trade Rasmus for rentals under this scenario, but that's what Mozeliak is doing. Berkman, Pujols, Yadi, Carpenter, Jackson, etc are all potentially free agents at the end of the year, thus the Cards are thrust into this mode, but the window for the Reds with this group isn't closing immediately.

the reds are going to try to win now w/ keeping the future in tact. their not just gonna trade a $1 for a quarter like some people here seem willing to do. not to mention if ur goal is to win a WS there probably isnt a move that would make that happen this year. They stay patient and dont panic their time will come to make that big splash.

No there wasn't, but there was a player (Pence) who would have significantly up graded this team and cost us what? Maybe a future catcher? What other player that could have been included would have hurt us over the next 3-4 years?
    Pence.....yeah, Mr. 3 HR's combined for June and July. Oh boy.

I don't know many people who wanted Pence for what Houston wanted in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    This. The Cardinals have so much uncertainty in the coming offseason that they don't know if they will have to face a huge rebuild after the season. It's especially not smart to trade Rasmus for rentals under this scenario, but that's what Mozeliak is doing. Berkman, Pujols, Yadi, Carpenter, Jackson, etc are all potentially free agents at the end of the year, thus the Cards are thrust into this mode, but the window for the Reds with this group isn't closing immediately.
    The scary thing is, I kind of felt like the Cards were the ones to beat after some of these trades they made. If they don't make the playoffs, those trades will really hurt. Especially trading Rasmus.

If Pujols walks, it could be interesting.

What is the status of Wainwright? I read on mlbtraderumors, under their free agent section, that Wainwright is due $12M or does he have to vest (which he won't because of injury)? Or does he become a free agent recovering from TJ surgery? They made it out like he didn't vest the $12M option, so he becomes a free agent. But maybe I misunderstood.

Turn Off Ads?