Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Before next Spring Training - What needs to happen?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Before next Spring Training - What needs to happen?

I've not given up on this season yet, but I've read alot of talk about upgrading in the offseason. I think most of us are in agreement that this team still has holes they need to fill. Let's discuss what will happen and who will be here in 2012, if the world doesn't end.

Cordero - gone
    Ramon Hernandez - gone?
    Renteria - gone
    Gomes - already gone

Returning big money guys:
    Arroyo - $12M
    Phillips - $12M option
    Rolen - $8.2M
    Votto - $11.5M
    Chapman - $4.7M
    Cueto - $5.4M
    Bruce - $5.1M
    Alonso - $1.4M
    Cairo - $1M
    Hanigan - $1.3M
    Total = $62.6M
    Will they pick up Phillips option (I think so)? Will Rolen retire?

Arbitration Eligible:
    Masset - made $1.725M in '11
    Volquez - made $1.625M
    Lewis - made $.9M
    Burton - made $.75M
    Bray - made $.645M
    Arrendondo - made $.48M
    Bailey - made $.441M
    Janish - made $.437M
    What kind of raises will these guys get? I see Lewis let go. Will they let Burton walk? If Volquez spends most of the year in triple A, surely he doesn't get a raise? Masset, Bray, Arredondo and Bailey are most likely to get the significant raises. Do they sign Bailey like they did Cueto?

Outfield next year?
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Heisey
    ?
    ?

Infield?
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Cozart
    3B ????
    Does Rolen retire?

Starting pitching:
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Leake
    Bailey
    Willis
    Volquez
    Wood
    Any newcomers?

Bullpen:
    Masset
    Arredondo
    Chapman
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Lecure
    ?
    Closer by committee?

Biggest need of the offseason is a 4-hole cleanup hitter to protect Votto and be the right handed power bat this team needs.
    Adding another quality starting pitcher wouldn't hurt. We have lots of candidates, but a stud pitcher can never be discounted if available.

What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Before next Spring Training - What needs to happen?

I think putting chapman in the starting rotation is my biggest concern for next year.

And trading for a bat that can help us for atleast 2-3 years at fair value.

Ask Rolen to retire, and use frazier and fransico at 3b.

my biggest concern is the reds keep arroyo in the rotation at the expense of chapman and we have cueto, leake, chapman, bailey, volquez and we wont allow arroyo to be the odd man out.

Cordero - gone (yes)
    Ramon Hernandez - gone? (id say so)
    Renteria - gone (yes)

Returning big money guys:
    Arroyo - $12M
    Phillips - $12M option (wonder if 3 yr 30m he stays?)
    Rolen - $8.2M
    Votto - $11.5M
    Chapman - $4.7M
    Cueto - $5.4M
    Bruce - $5.1M
    Alonso - $1.4M
    Cairo - $1M
    Hanigan - $1.3M
    Total = $62.6M
    Will they pick up Phillips option (I think so)? they better. Will Rolen retire? no.

Arbitration Eligible:
    Masset - made $1.725M in '11 (idk)
    Volquez - made $1.625M (idk)
    Lewis - made $.9M (good bye)
    Burton - made $.75M (idk)
    Bray - made $.645M (idk)
    Arrendondo - made $.48M (idk)
    Bailey - made $.441M (idk)
    Janish - made $.437M (not much)
    Do they sign Bailey like they did Cueto? Might depend on what he does rest of year.

Outfield next year?
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Heisey
    ?Dave S?
    ?Matt Kemp (dream!)

Infield?
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    SS Cozart
    3B ???? id do juan F and rolen

Starting pitching:
    Arroyo (blah why we keep him for 3 years)
    Cueto (1)
    Leake (3)
    Bailey (5)
    Willis (bullpen maybe?)
    Volquez (4)
    Wood (minors)
    Chapman (2) (my fear is they won't turn chapman into a starter b/c of arroyo)
    Any newcomers? (depends if we trade for someone if not no)

Bullpen:
    Masset
    Arredondo
    Chapman (hope not)
    Ondrusek
    Bray
    Lecure
    ?
    Closer by committee? (ondruek imo)

Biggest need of the offseason is a 4-hole cleanup hitter to protect Votto and be the right handed power bat this team needs. (yes)
    Adding another quality starting pitcher wouldn't hurt. We have lots of candidates, but a stud pitcher can never be discounted if available. (would also be nice)

We have a 4 hole hitter. Yonder Alonzo just needs 600 at bats and he'll hit 30 homeruns, knock home 100 and hit lefties about as good as righties.

He'll blow some plays in left, but over the course of the season, he'll more than make up for his defensive shortcomings.

thorn

Find a way to get rid of Bronson, put Chapman and Wood in the rotation.
    Replace Cordero with a FA shutdown reliever, not necessarily a closer
    Resign Brandon

Stubs
    Alonso
    Votto
    Brandon
    Bruce
    Mes
    Frazier/Rolen
    Cozart

Bench of Heisey, Janish, Rolen/Frazier, Hannigan and Fransico.

Cueto
    Chapman
    Bailey
    Leake
    Wood

Aredondo
    Bray
    Masset
    Ondrusek
    Lecure
    FA
    Maloney

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    We have a 4 hole hitter. Yonder Alonzo just needs 600 at bats and he'll hit 30 homeruns, knock home 100 and hit lefties about as good as righties.

He'll blow some plays in left, but over the course of the season, he'll more than make up for his defensive shortcomings.
    i keep hearing that and i hope your right. hopefully if he does not get traded and works hardddd during off season to work on his defensive he could play everyday.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but we need
    1. LF who can either hit leadoff or else be a good RBI guy in the cleanup spot
    2. A closer. Don't see Massett or Ondrusek as the answer. Chapman, maybe? I think I saw today that the league is hitting less than .100 against him this year.
    3. Somebody in the rotation to complement Mr. Cueto. Leake has looked good and I kinda like Willis, but maybe the league has caught on to Arroyo's 69 mph curveball and I wonder if Bailey is ever going to live up to the hype.
    4. SS. Are we all convinced that Cozart is the real deal? On the basis of 10 games or whatever? If that was enough to make an accurate evaluation, Jay Bruce would be hitting about .550 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tobttr View Post
    4. SS. Are we all convinced that Cozart is the real deal? On the basis of 10 games or whatever? If that was enough to make an accurate evaluation, Jay Bruce would be hitting about .550 right now.
    no im sure we know for sure but its safe to say hes better than janish. he has decent power and makes contact.

New poster here!!!!

I hate to say this, but replacing Dusty is a must. I was a fan, but this year his decision making has been suspect at best. Plus his refusal to play the younger players is a joke. We bring up alonso to sit on the bench? What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by raymo View Post
    New poster here!!!!

I hate to say this, but replacing Dusty is a must. I was a fan, but this year his decision making has been suspect at best. Plus his refusal to play the younger players is a joke. We bring up alonso to sit on the bench? What is that?
    Except that most of our team qualifies as young players?

Fans were complaining about Heisey not playing, and Dusty told us that his swing had holes that would be exposed in an everyday role. Now that Heisey is playing everyday and went sub .200 for the month of July people are hopping on the play Alonso bandwagon.

We know Heisey has a ton of talent and we know he can play great defense, I think since he's finally getting his shot it would be nice to see if this is just one of those slumps that he'll get out of, or if he really just isn't an everyday player.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think they don't want to play Alonso in LF to expose his lack of defense. I think they're hoping they can pinch hit him, and sub him for Votto at 1B in late game blowouts, to showcase him. He is hitting well.

I fully believe Alonso will not be here next year.

It is hard to know what the Reds will need over the winter until the prospects have been given an extended look. Mesoraco and Sappelt are not on the 40 man roster, and may not be until the season concludes. So much remains up in the air.

Out of everthing, I think 3B is the most troubling. Rolen, Francisco, and Frazier are the current (fulltime) options there. Maybe Rolen recovers, maybe one of the younger guys step up. But the hot corner has many question marks.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post

So Votto 3, Alonso4 then Bruce5?
    Never happen

Turn Off Ads?